Old December 8th 04, 04:16 PM

Default USA CHESS

Japanese-born teen youngest US chess champ since Bobby Fischer
(AFP)

NEW YORK - A teenager from New York state, who just became the
youngest US national chess champion since Bobby Fischer in 1958, says
he is "more sane" than his troubled predecessor.

Hikaru Nakamura, a 16-year-old grandmaster, took the national
title in San Diego on Monday, beating out Alex Stripunsky, 34, in two
overtime matches.

Fisher, rated one of the greatest ever tournament chess players,
was 14 when he won the same title nearly 50 years ago.

Nakamura had already beaten one Fischer milestone last year, when
he became an American grandmaster at 15, eclipsing Fischer by a few
months.

The Japanese-born Nakamura learned chess from his stepfather and
began playing competitively at the tender age of seven. Two years
later he became an American master.

Home-schooled by his mother, Nakamura told reporters that he was
in no rush to follow Fisher's footsteps all the way to the world
chess
championship.

"It's a possibility," he said. "But there's
plenty of time for that."

While Fischer is one of his heroes, Nakamura does not see himself
as cast from the same mould as the erratic genius who became a
national icon after defeating Soviet World Champion Boris Spassky in
1972.

"I think I'm a little bit more sane," Nakamura said.

Fischer, 61, is currently being held by authorities in Japan,
pending deportation to the United States, where he could face a
10-year prison term for replaying Spassky in Yugoslavia in 1992 in
violation of US sanctions against Belgrade.

Stripped of his world title in 1975 because he refused to be
challenged, Fischer became an eccentric recluse, known for his
anti-Semitic rants.

On September 11, 2001, he went on Filipino radio to hail the
attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon as "wonderful
news."

Old December 8th 04, 04:55 PM
Jerzy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Japanese-born teen youngest US chess champ since Bobby Fischer
(AFP)

NEW YORK - A teenager from New York state, who just became the
youngest US national chess champion since Bobby Fischer in 1958, says
he is "more sane" than his troubled predecessor.

Hikaru Nakamura, a 16-year-old grandmaster, took the national
title in San Diego on Monday, beating out Alex Stripunsky, 34, in two
overtime matches.

Here you can read more about 10-years-old Nakamura :

http://www.samsloan.com/nakamura.htm

Regards,

Jerzy

Old December 8th 04, 09:00 PM
HAASpittle

Don't count too strongly on a "Nakamura chess boom" for the USCF.

Old Haasie
Old December 8th 04, 09:36 PM
Jerzy

"HAASpittle" wrote in message
Don't count too strongly on a "Nakamura chess boom" for the USCF.

You`re right, he has still some time to become a World Chess Champ and only
then there will be "Nakamura Chess Boom" in the USA.

:-)

Regards,

Jerzy

Old December 8th 04, 10:11 PM
Jerzy

"Fifiela" wrote in message
Japanese-born teen youngest US chess champ since Bobby Fischer

This has a great personal significance to me since I eat Japanese food.

When on journeys I often eat Chinese food but no dogs :-) I prefer cheap but
healthy food. Anyway, I must try some specialties of Japanese cuisine some
day. What do you recommend ? Sushi or sth else ?
BTW Hikaru seems to be eating American food.

:-)

Regards,

Jerzy

Old December 9th 04, 08:18 AM
Jerzy

"Fifiela" wrote in message
BTW Hikaru seems to be eating American food.

I also eat American food.

What do you mean by American food ? I mean all those "fast foods" :-)

I feel so close to Hikaru that I'm going to put him
on my website. Now I just need to rescue a chessplaying babe from

PoFooeyStan
and add her to my website.

Rescue him from what ? Can you explain it to me ?

Regards,

Jerzy

Old December 9th 04, 06:16 PM
Liam Too

Fifiela wrote:
Nakamura is Japanese-born? I was thinking maybe Estonia or

Finland.

If so, his win has special significnce to me as I've been to FInalnd

twice and like the place.

I haven't been to FInalnd, but I don't like the place because that's
where they make the Nokia cellphones. My phone breaks down almost every
other month.

Old December 10th 04, 04:44 PM
Jerzy

"Liam Too" wrote in message
oups.com...

I haven't been to FInalnd, but I don't like the place because that's
where they make the Nokia cellphones. My phone breaks down almost every
other month.

That`s quite understandable, IMHO. You are an American from the USA and thus
you don`t like Nokia from Finland and prefer Motorola from the USA. It`s so
patriotic :-)

BTW They also make excellent vodka in Finland :-)

Regards,

Jerzy

Old December 10th 04, 07:55 PM
Liam Too

Jerzy wrote:
That`s quite understandable, IMHO. You are an American from

the USA and thus you don`t like Nokia from Finland and prefer
Motorola from the USA. It`s so patriotic :-)

BTW They also make excellent vodka in Finland :-)

Regards,

Jerzy

Aha, I like Vodka. Maybe Finland is not that bad afterall.
Pozdrawiam,

Lance