Old December 10th 04, 12:02 PM
Chess One

Default More Gas?

I hadn't previously understood that the Crossville property was situated on
an empty lot NEXT to a GAS company. I wonder if this is why the lot is
empty, and inexpensive, and further, what the resale level of anything built
on it will be?

I also hadn't understood that USCF would be housed in an old Church for a
year ... or so... one which needs renovation in order to be to-code.

I further wonder if this is why the Crossville contract hasn't been
published?

Certainly no mention of a lost next to a gas company was mentioned by Dr.
Dubeck, whose own comparison of sites mentioned Liberty twice, both
slightingly, as "100 years old' and as 'possibly having asbestos.'

Phil Innes

Old December 10th 04, 04:55 PM
irvin

It's a terrible move, by all appearances.

What would be wrong if the current board members decide to stay their full
term while abandoning the idea of a move to Crossville?

They could use a more open-minded approach to managing the USCF's financial
assets.

Why not move the headquarters to Queens in New York City? A decent place
here can be found for about $1500/month. Who says the best thing for the
USCF is to own a building?

Then, it would be a matter of modernizing the whole operation. The printed
magazine should be eliminated in favor of an electronic version (email) that
can be sent to members on a weekly basis. Much cheaper and much more
relevant content.

Like all well-mananged non-profit organizations, a good chunk of money
should go to hiring a professional fund-raising firm.

Just a couple of ideas worth considering.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

news:[email protected]

Old December 10th 04, 06:04 PM
Rob Mitchell

Phil,
As I understand it. The location is in a business park. The
adninistrative offices of the Gas company and the adminstrative offices
of the electric cooperative are said to flank it. If you get me an
excate address of the property, I can send photos.
Rob

Old December 10th 04, 11:07 PM
Chess One

"Rob Mitchell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil,
As I understand it. The location is in a business park. The
adninistrative offices of the Gas company and the adminstrative offices
of the electric cooperative are said to flank it. If you get me an
excate address of the property, I can send photos.
Rob

That doesn't sound too bad Rob, thank you for clearing it up. Perhaps a
report on the extent of making the Church legal to move into would be more
apropos? Nothing to get explosive about at least, although the view of Gas
HQ could potentially be more scenic. USCF could move here and get a view of
the Ct River with an unspoiled mountain behind it for the interest on the
money.

I thought Irvin made some good points which are more strategic in nature -
at least they were forward looking. I hope we might discuss them, since they
are real questions about the future which will have an actual impact on
chess in the USA.

Phil

Old December 11th 04, 01:07 PM
Rob Mitchell

Phil,
If the church property is as I suspect, there will not have to be much
modification made. Southern Churches tend to be one level with a small
sancutary with lage administrative offices and bible study classrooms
behind or attached to either side. These classrooms and offices are
easily converted. The building is currently "up to codes". So beside
some paint and running phone lines and cables, it's ready to go.

I feel at this point we have to find a way of makng the move
successful. Whats done is done and it is difficult to milk a cow thats
already left the barn.I seems our cow is already moving to Crossville.
I propose we milk her there.( get used to these southern analogies
folks!)

So, lets work together to make things "finer than frogs hair".
Best Wishes,
Rob