Old December 10th 04, 03:27 PM
Doctor SBD

Default Rules Question from National Chess Congress

This is one reason you learn to tell the TD where you are going and why. Once,
in an extremely important game against FM Chow, I told the TD what I was going
to do - take a walk outside around the hotel to clear my head (it was a cold
January in Chicago, and up from Alabama, I knew this would clear my head!).

The position in the game was very tenuous, so I did not want to be accused of
cheating. But it was one of those endgame positions where I needed a clear head
and to wait (as Sherevshesky notes in his endgame books) before formulating my
plan. Chow, as usual I think, had used tons of time but I had plenty left. So
it probably helped him as much as me.

The TD seemed to think I was odd to tell him this, but I think it is
imperative.

Now if anyone thinks I cheated during this or any game, they can ask Bill
Brock, whom I also played in that tournament. In that game, a razor-sharp
middlegame, we were both glued to the board, as it should be in such a
position. Both games ended up draws.

SBD