Old December 13th 04, 12:35 AM
StanB

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

The SS card with work rights is marked "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS
AUTHORIZATION." Thus, if this is the type of card your wife has she must
present her work authorization card from USCIS.

You are correct. I just checked. It says:

"VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION."

So much for the law according to Sam Sloan. Time to troll about something
else.

Old December 13th 04, 08:22 AM
Jürgen R.

"StanB" wrote:

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

The SS card with work rights is marked "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS
AUTHORIZATION." Thus, if this is the type of card your wife has she must
present her work authorization card from USCIS.

You are correct. I just checked. It says:

"VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION."

So much for the law according to Sam Sloan. Time to troll about something
else.

For practical purposes there is only one law for dealing with the INS:
You will get nowhere unless you hire an "immigration lawyer". It was
not always this way, but that is the status today. An immigration
lawyer is almost invariably a former employee of the INS. He knows the
numbers to call and gets responses when he files forms. You do not
know the numbers to call and the innumerable numbers listed on the web
sites and the telephone directories are all either dead or permanently
busy (with busy signal, not music-on-hold). If you write you will,
most likely, get no answer.

The INS is effectively not accountable to anyone. It is probably the
most corrupt organization in the corrupt U.S. government. However, you
cannot bribe them directly - only via the "immigration lawyer" ruse.
When I last got an H1B work permit in 2001 the price was $2500. For
the "lawyer" the application requires about 2 hours work that can be
done by a secretary. Green cards are much more expensive and take much
more time.

Twenty years ago it was still possible to deal with the INS. At that
time I applied for and got a green card in about 6 months. Today it
would be pointless to try such a thing.

However, spouses of citizens are a special category and only an idiot
would fail to regularize the status of his wife of 3 years. Perhaps
the "affidavit of support" is the problem, but I'm not sure it is
required for a wife. The affidavit of support makes the sponsor liable
for any public expenses should the immigrant become indigent.

Jürgen