Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 25th 05, 06:13 PM
Duncan Oxley
 
Posts: n/a
Default A Few Simple Questions For Don Schultz

Why is it so important NOW that "We must have the full numbers
of what the total move will cost."?

(I submit that this can possibly only be answered honestly after all the
dust settles
in Crossville. An estimate, sure, but "the full numbers"? I may be a
neophyte here
but somehow I doubt that with ANY move of this kind "the full numbers" can
be
stated before everything is finished.)

Are, and if so, WHY are you and Brady actively working to derail the move?

There seems to be at least three recent EB meetings with no minutes posted
to the USCF site. As Secretary can you tell us when they will be available
for
viewing (or listening rather) and why they can not be posted in a timely
manner?

Best Regards,
Duncan Oxley


  #2   Report Post  
Old January 25th 05, 08:09 PM
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Duncan Oxley wrote:
Why is it so important NOW that "We must have the full numbers
of what the total move will cost."?

(I submit that this can possibly only be answered honestly after all

the
dust settles
in Crossville. An estimate, sure, but "the full numbers"? I may be a
neophyte here
but somehow I doubt that with ANY move of this kind "the full

numbers" can
be
stated before everything is finished.)

Are, and if so, WHY are you and Brady actively working to derail the

move?

There seems to be at least three recent EB meetings with no minutes

posted
to the USCF site. As Secretary can you tell us when they will be

available
for
viewing (or listening rather) and why they can not be posted in a

timely
manner?


My reply:

It is ludicrous not to have at least an estimate of all the costs. Of
course exact figures are not known but an estimate of total costs and
an estimate of cash flow must be available, I have not seen them.

Brady and I are NOT working actively to derail the Crossville move! The
folks in Crossville are outstanding. However, I have a duty to make
sure the USCF doesn't go belly-up in the process. We are moving at an
accelerated pace, during the busiest time of the year, when we have no
Executive Director, when we are installing an entirely new office
computer system, and it being only a year after we nearly couldn't pay
our bills, and furthermore amid a time of revelations that we don't
have as much money as we thought we did due to inadequate financial
reporting and at a time, as would be expected, of extremely low office
morale and following a turn down of one of the wealthiest individuals
in the world to grant two weeks to come up with an improvement on an
offer of free rent for five years + option to buy a mansion on 19 acres
of land, in the best part of Liberty, NY, directly next door to the
billionaire's mansion. I respect my fellow Board members desire to get
on with the move. But I and Frank Brady will no doubt continue to be
the devil's advocate. Would you prefer all yeses and praise and no one
asking the tough questions at each step of the way. I admire the work
on the move Beatriz has already done. She has so far exceeded what I
thought possible but still the most difficult obstacles are yet to
come.

As to minutes, they have been made available. I;ve only been Secretary
for a few meetings and all those have been quickly reported. I know
there was a recording problem mixing closed with open some time back
but I am not familiar with that. I completed a draft of the minutes of
Sunday's teleconference and sent them to the EB members immediately
after finishing them. I doubt if any secretary has ever had a draft
available so fast. And it was a difficult draft to write becaus of
amendments and substitute motions to motions.
Regards and good chess,
Don Schultz
Secretary

  #3   Report Post  
Old January 25th 05, 08:09 PM
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Duncan Oxley wrote:
Why is it so important NOW that "We must have the full numbers
of what the total move will cost."?

(I submit that this can possibly only be answered honestly after all

the
dust settles
in Crossville. An estimate, sure, but "the full numbers"? I may be a
neophyte here
but somehow I doubt that with ANY move of this kind "the full

numbers" can
be
stated before everything is finished.)

Are, and if so, WHY are you and Brady actively working to derail the

move?

There seems to be at least three recent EB meetings with no minutes

posted
to the USCF site. As Secretary can you tell us when they will be

available
for
viewing (or listening rather) and why they can not be posted in a

timely
manner?


My reply:

It is ludicrous not to have at least an estimate of all the costs. Of
course exact figures are not known but an estimate of total costs and
an estimate of cash flow must be available, I have not seen them.

Brady and I are NOT working actively to derail the Crossville move! The
folks in Crossville are outstanding. However, I have a duty to make
sure the USCF doesn't go belly-up in the process. We are moving at an
accelerated pace, during the busiest time of the year, when we have no
Executive Director, when we are installing an entirely new office
computer system, and it being only a year after we nearly couldn't pay
our bills, and furthermore amid a time of revelations that we don't
have as much money as we thought we did due to inadequate financial
reporting and at a time, as would be expected, of extremely low office
morale and following a turn down of one of the wealthiest individuals
in the world to grant two weeks to come up with an improvement on an
offer of free rent for five years + option to buy a mansion on 19 acres
of land, in the best part of Liberty, NY, directly next door to the
billionaire's mansion. I respect my fellow Board members desire to get
on with the move. But I and Frank Brady will no doubt continue to be
the devil's advocate. Would you prefer all yeses and praise and no one
asking the tough questions at each step of the way. I admire the work
on the move Beatriz has already done. She has so far exceeded what I
thought possible but still the most difficult obstacles are yet to
come.

As to minutes, they have been made available. I;ve only been Secretary
for a few meetings and all those have been quickly reported. I know
there was a recording problem mixing closed with open some time back
but I am not familiar with that. I completed a draft of the minutes of
Sunday's teleconference and sent them to the EB members immediately
after finishing them. I doubt if any secretary has ever had a draft
available so fast. And it was a difficult draft to write becaus of
amendments and substitute motions to motions.
Regards and good chess,
Don Schultz
Secretary

  #4   Report Post  
Old January 25th 05, 10:07 PM
George John
 
Posts: n/a
Default

wrote:

Don,

[SNIP]

As to minutes, they have been made available. I;ve only been

Secretary
for a few meetings and all those have been quickly reported. I know
there was a recording problem mixing closed with open some time back
but I am not familiar with that.


As the USCF's Secretary I believe you are responsible for making
certain the following (see below) USCF Board of Delegates motion is
carried out satisfactorily. Please provide an estimate when all
required audio recordings will be posted to the USCF Website.

I believe you have said you think the BINFO system should be
reactivated. I agree. What is your opinion regarding having written
transcripts of meetings? Finally, being the USCF Secretary is a lot of
work. What do you think about the idea of shifting some of the worker
bee duties to professional staff provided they can handle the workload?

Best regards,

George John

"All meetings of the Executive Board, including conference calls,
shall be recorded in their entirety with a clear, permanent record by
a means determined by the Executive Board. All Executive Board members
shall receive copies of any audio tapes or video tapes of meetings
within two weeks of those meetings. Any person wishing to obtain
copies of audiotapes may do so at cost. The public portion of the
permanent record will be available on the web-site within a month of
the meeting record."

  #5   Report Post  
Old January 25th 05, 11:45 PM
Duncan Oxley
 
Posts: n/a
Default


wrote in message

Thanks for answering. A few quick comments.

It is ludicrous not to have at least an estimate of all the costs. Of
course exact figures are not known but an estimate of total costs and
an estimate of cash flow must be available, I have not seen them.


OK so now we are talking estimate. Great.

Brady and I are NOT working actively to derail the Crossville move!


Thank goodness.

The
folks in Crossville are outstanding. However, I have a duty to make
sure the USCF doesn't go belly-up in the process.


I would think that was the duty of the Board as a whole.

We are moving at an
accelerated pace,


Good.

during the busiest time of the year, when we have no
Executive Director, when we are installing an entirely new office
computer system, and it being only a year after we nearly couldn't pay
our bills, and furthermore amid a time of revelations that we don't
have as much money as we thought we did due to inadequate financial
reporting and at a time, as would be expected, of extremely low office
morale and following a turn down of one of the wealthiest individuals
in the world to grant two weeks to come up with an improvement on an
offer of free rent for five years + option to buy a mansion on 19 acres
of land, in the best part of Liberty, NY, directly next door to the
billionaire's mansion.


I wish you would stop bringing this up. That won't happen I believe.

Or should not. *shrug*

I respect my fellow Board members desire to get
on with the move. But I and Frank Brady will no doubt continue to be
the devil's advocate. Would you prefer all yeses and praise and no one
asking the tough questions at each step of the way. I admire the work
on the move Beatriz has already done. She has so far exceeded what I
thought possible but still the most difficult obstacles are yet to
come.


Good then hopefully you will work with her instead of against.

As to minutes, they have been made available. I;ve only been Secretary
for a few meetings and all those have been quickly reported. I know
there was a recording problem mixing closed with open some time back
but I am not familiar with that. I completed a draft of the minutes of
Sunday's teleconference and sent them to the EB members immediately
after finishing them. I doubt if any secretary has ever had a draft
available so fast. And it was a difficult draft to write becaus of
amendments and substitute motions to motions.


OK my bad. I said minutes but I was really looking for the recordings.

I appericate your reply,
Duncan Oxley

Regards and good chess,
Don Schultz
Secretary





  #6   Report Post  
Old January 26th 05, 12:01 AM
Tim Hanke
 
Posts: n/a
Default

wrote ...

It is ludicrous not to have at least an estimate of all the costs. Of
course exact figures are not known but an estimate of total costs and
an estimate of cash flow must be available, I have not seen them.


There have been numerous board discussions of moving costs, and the board
members (including Don Schultz and Frank Brady) have been given a detailed
itemization of the major moving costs to be expected, with an estimated
total. The office is continuing to work on fine-tuning the numbers.

However, Don and Frank keep pretending they haven't been told anything.

I, and the other members of the board, have invited Don and Frank to
participate in the regular Relocation Committee conference calls, and to
participate in the process in any other way they wish. If there is anything
Don and Frank don't know, it is because they have their eyes shut tight and
their fingers in their ears.

It is easy for Frank Brady to pretend not to know anything, because he
doesn't go to meetings, or apparently read his email. But Don knows better,
because Don does attend meetings and does read his email.

Tim Hanke


  #7   Report Post  
Old January 26th 05, 12:47 AM
Duncan Oxley
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Tim Hanke" wrote in message
...
wrote ...

It is ludicrous not to have at least an estimate of all the costs. Of
course exact figures are not known but an estimate of total costs and
an estimate of cash flow must be available, I have not seen them.


There have been numerous board discussions of moving costs, and the board
members (including Don Schultz and Frank Brady) have been given a detailed
itemization of the major moving costs to be expected, with an estimated
total. The office is continuing to work on fine-tuning the numbers.

However, Don and Frank keep pretending they haven't been told anything.

I, and the other members of the board, have invited Don and Frank to
participate in the regular Relocation Committee conference calls, and to
participate in the process in any other way they wish. If there is
anything Don and Frank don't know, it is because they have their eyes shut
tight and their fingers in their ears.

It is easy for Frank Brady to pretend not to know anything, because he
doesn't go to meetings, or apparently read his email. But Don knows
better, because Don does attend meetings and does read his email.

Tim Hanke


Tim:

The more I see what some call "the old guard" rail against the move
the more I become convinced this will be the best thing that happened
the USCF in 30 years.

Duncan


  #8   Report Post  
Old January 26th 05, 01:12 AM
[email protected]
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Tim Hanke wrote:
wrote ...

It is ludicrous not to have at least an estimate of all the costs.

Of
course exact figures are not known but an estimate of total costs

and
an estimate of cash flow must be available, I have not seen them.


There have been numerous board discussions of moving costs, and the

board
members (including Don Schultz and Frank Brady) have been given a

detailed
itemization of the major moving costs to be expected, with an

estimated
total. The office is continuing to work on fine-tuning the numbers.

However, Don and Frank keep pretending they haven't been told

anything.

I, and the other members of the board, have invited Don and Frank to
participate in the regular Relocation Committee conference calls, and

to
participate in the process in any other way they wish. If there is

anything
Don and Frank don't know, it is because they have their eyes shut

tight and
their fingers in their ears.

It is easy for Frank Brady to pretend not to know anything, because

he
doesn't go to meetings, or apparently read his email. But Don knows

better,
because Don does attend meetings and does read his email.

Tim Hanke


The meeting and the financial reporting doesn't cover the whole ball of
wax. Here is the challenge. If we have estimates of what it is costing
us to move to Crossville - place the numbers here with a breakdown into
half a dozen or so major components, best estimates even guesstimates
accepted. That information is not confidential.

Don Schultz

  #9   Report Post  
Old January 26th 05, 03:03 AM
Tim Hanke
 
Posts: n/a
Default

wrote in message
oups.com...

Tim Hanke wrote:
wrote ...

It is ludicrous not to have at least an estimate of all the costs.

Of
course exact figures are not known but an estimate of total costs

and
an estimate of cash flow must be available, I have not seen them.


There have been numerous board discussions of moving costs, and the

board
members (including Don Schultz and Frank Brady) have been given a

detailed
itemization of the major moving costs to be expected, with an

estimated
total. The office is continuing to work on fine-tuning the numbers.

However, Don and Frank keep pretending they haven't been told

anything.

I, and the other members of the board, have invited Don and Frank to
participate in the regular Relocation Committee conference calls, and

to
participate in the process in any other way they wish. If there is

anything
Don and Frank don't know, it is because they have their eyes shut

tight and
their fingers in their ears.

It is easy for Frank Brady to pretend not to know anything, because

he
doesn't go to meetings, or apparently read his email. But Don knows

better,
because Don does attend meetings and does read his email.

Tim Hanke


The meeting and the financial reporting doesn't cover the whole ball of
wax. Here is the challenge. If we have estimates of what it is costing
us to move to Crossville - place the numbers here with a breakdown into
half a dozen or so major components, best estimates even guesstimates
accepted. That information is not confidential.

Don Schultz


Don,

You have the same board emails on this subject that I do. If you want to
post them publicly, no one can stop you.

One underlying problem, in discussing financial issues with you, is that you
don't seem to understand basic principles of accounting and cash flow. I
mean no ill will in saying this, but it's a fact.

For example, on Sunday, during the board conference call, you insisted the
cost of the new building should be added to the move expenses. However, the
building will be a USCF asset, not a USCF expense, as Randy Bauer explained
to you. This is the kind of basic financial point you don't understand.

Not to mention, you refuse to face the fact that USCF was previously paying
more $$ per month to rent extra office and storage space, than USCF will be
paying $$ per month for the new mortgage in Crossville. Our rental expenses
were buying us nothing, but our mortgage will buy us equity in a modern
office building in a prime business location in a growing business area.

In other words, moving to Crossville is already a huge financial win, even
if we are talking only about office space. Once we get into wages, property
taxes, insurance, etc., the savings add up more and more.

What I am interested in is not so much the "cost of the move," whatever that
means, as I am in the future operating costs of the USCF as compared to the
present operating costs.

I am convinced the operating costs in Crossville will be very, very much
lower than they would have been in the abandoned hospital building in
Liberty, N.Y., that you and Frank Brady and Bill Goichberg are still so
enamored of. What about the long-term maintenance costs of that white
elephant, with its 33 bathrooms, slate roof, antiquated heating system and
wiring, likely asbestos removal problem, etc., etc.? I wouldn't want that
building as a gift. Yet you, because you apparently don't understand basic
accounting concepts--and again, I state this merely as an observation, not
as a personal attack--would reject the new building in Crossville because
you think it is an "expense," while you take no account of the future
maintenance costs of the old hospital in Liberty, N.Y., which could be
millions of dollars.

When you and Bill Goichberg were running the USCF just a few years ago, the
USCF lost hundreds of thousands of dollars and took major strides toward
insolvency. But it seems you and Bill were the last to realize what was
going on--if, indeed, you even realize it yet.

Now Bill Goichberg is running for the board yet again. If he has his way,
USCF will become ensnarled in a long-term financial mess in Liberty, N.Y.
that will make the controversy over his outsourcing deal look minor.

We don't need more financial double-talk from people who have failed badly
at managing USCF in the past. We don't need a wild venture into real estate
speculation in old abandoned buildings with sizeable unknown risks.

We need to operate USCF on clean, simple lines, with low-risk, low-overhead
operations, and a minimum of staff, using the latest technology. This is the
direction the current board majority is trying to move in, despite
continuous screaming and heel-dragging by those who are still living in the
past.

Tim Hanke


  #10   Report Post  
Old January 26th 05, 07:45 AM
[email protected]
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Dear Tim:

I must say you have ademonstrated in tne past that you have an open
mind and you do alter your position when convinced. I'm truly concerned
about Crossville particulary the costs. Now clearly you have a
bettergrasp on those costs than I. That is why I am secretary and you
arre Vice-President of Finance; I say this only partially in jest
because I know I am not qualified to be Treasurer/VP Finance. You are a
fine Board member and I enjoy working with you.

Now of course there is a BUT.

Not about your being a fine Board Member and I enjoy working with you
BUT FOR EXAMPLE,

You saidat the start of this message:: "You (Don) have the same board
emails on this subject that I do. If you want to post them publicly, no
one can stop you."

Tim I'm saying I don't have the emails and numbers that give
estimates/guesstimates of the cost to USCF of the move let alone
broken down into half a dozen or so components. So I can't post them. I
say we don't have them, you say we do and that I have them and the onus
is on me to post them which of course would prove you are right. If I
can't post them then that is consistent with my being right. So ...
what do you say my friend?
Prove me wrong, post them and we can move on. In addition I'd like to
see a cash flow chart through the final move into the new building.
Sincerely,
Don

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schultz goes on the record chesstours rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 60 December 31st 04 06:09 AM
Rec.games.chess.play-by-email Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Paul_Morphy rec.games.chess.play-by-email (Chess - Play by Email) 0 April 17th 04 06:51 PM
Rec.games.chess.play-by-email Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Paul_Morphy rec.games.chess.play-by-email (Chess - Play by Email) 0 April 10th 04 11:22 PM
Rec.games.chess.play-by-email Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Paul_Morphy rec.games.chess.play-by-email (Chess - Play by Email) 0 April 4th 04 01:20 AM
Rec.games.chess.play-by-email Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) Paul_Morphy rec.games.chess.play-by-email (Chess - Play by Email) 0 March 28th 04 12:25 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017