Old January 29th 05, 01:56 AM
Duncan Oxley

Default Beating A Dead Horse

"Liberty", "Billionare", "Mansion" etc ad nausem.

Anyone else tired of this stale mantra?

Old January 29th 05, 08:05 AM
Tom Klem

Some folks seem to have an "environmental" bias towards billionaires. And by
the way, I have nothing against them. And yes, it is tiresome to be at the
behest of one as I so clearly know.

I think the primary reason for this feeling is, that the helper, or
billionaire associate, believes that by proxy, he/she has learned a few
tricks of the trade and would love to impart them to you. I don't hear that
in this discussion. What I do hear is the influence of people with money on
the folks.

Out of some 80,000 members, I wonder what the demographic breakdown by
income and social strata of the USCF actually is. I also wonder how many
members could give a hoot whether the one to two percent of our members who
are Masters, IMs and GMs on up, care passionately about any of the
Crossville scenarios currently being discussed here.

In short, it is my experience that the Chess masses just want an
organization which sets standards and practices for their hobby; provides
timely news and human interest stories in a well written hobbiest journal;
gives them the luster of having an accurate and official rating; and
finally, wishes to avoid the politicians and their rat poison, like the
plague.

All of the above paragraph, can be nicely accomplished, in my opinion, by
the fine folks of Crossville and our EB and Board of Delegates. We don't
need the patronnage of billionaires, though it would be nice. With few
exceptions, any hobby which depends on the continuing success and support of
a billionaire, does not have a professionally run office, or board of
directors.

When I was in the music business, I used to marvel at some of my friends who
were taken in (so often) by a drunk at the bar they were working in, with
the promise of a recording contract, or the opening act for so and so. If
you want the true definition of tiresome, just sit at a piano for a couple
of years and write down the number of times these kinds of things are said
to you.

It seems to me, that a billionaire who predicates his love for you and the
sport on the basis of you taking an old building that he happens to have
laying around, off his hands and balance sheet; and renovating, upgrading
and establishing a Chess HQ in it, could just as easily provide the monies
necessary for the Trump Towers address on 5th Avenue and 56th. I mean, if we
absolutely can't live without being in the center of the universe (as NYC is
being touted for Chess), than why not go right to the very heart of the
matter?

Not being in the habit of looking a gift horse in the mouth as we are, and
being the poor cousins (as we are told), can quickly become tiresome.
Especially after we have had to endure the vicissitudes of poor management,
embezzlement, fraud and outright stupidity.

Maybe I'm missing something here, and believe me at this hour that is
entirely possible, but the advantages to the Crossville move are huge and
the risks are far less that doing nothing.

Tom Klem
"You can take rat poison on that one"
---The Unknown Chess Politician (heard at a local Crossville bar & grill)

Old January 29th 05, 03:41 PM
sandirhodes

(top-posted to be consistent)

This is one of Tom/Jane's better posts. I consider myself one of the masses, and I find myself supporting Crossville, despite the
fact that it doesn't matter one whit to me where we are, as long as the below items are in good flux.

sandirhodes

Old January 29th 05, 03:51 PM
Spam Scone

Duncan Oxley wrote:
"Liberty", "Billionare", "Mansion" etc ad nausem.

Anyone else tired of this stale mantra?

Yes. While we are at it, can we also retire the following worn-out
chants?

"New York State is the center of American Chess blah blah blah"

"We need to reopen bidding again blah blah blah"
"The USCF EB is not listening to our (ie, RGCP) demands blah blah blah"