Old February 6th 05, 04:30 PM
Parrthenon

Default Kalev Pehme Fired

After the darkest years of Parr's editorial mishandling of CL (Jerry Hanken
reads like Shakespeare compared to Parr's turgid and self-serving prose),
Pehme's editorship will rank as second worst in the history of CL. But it isn't
like I told you so or anything. -- SBD (Dr. Steve Dowd on rgcp February 6,
2005)

Several years ago FIDE president Kirsan Ilyumzhinov called for control of all
aspects of chess by FIDE, and suggested that "press commissars" be set up in
all FIDE nations. Many observers scoffered at his ambitious plans, but nobody
laughed after his visit to the United States where he met with USCF president
John McCrary and other members of the USCF Executive Board.

We know that Ilyumzhinov lobbied for getting chess into the Olympics and drug
testing, but I finally learned about another deal curtailing freedom of the
press in Chess Life. It is no secret that Ilyumzhinov has imprisoned
dissidents and destroyed a free press in Kalmykia. His tenacles also have
reached America, where he complained about the critical coverage of FIDE in
Chess Life, the house organ of the USCF.

AFTER HIS VISIT, WORD CAME DOWN FROM THE TOP THAT ONLY FLATTERING AND POSITIVE
REPORTING ABOUT FIDE ARE TO APPEAR IN CHESS LIFE. NO MORE NEGATIVE REPORTING OF
THE FACTS.

No more letters to the editor like the one entitled "No Olympics" in August
2002, page 6. No more items like the one entitled "Fide Stinks" in June 2002,
page 46. In short, our national magazine is now in the process of being
censored and sanitized by politicians who are carrying out Ilyumzhinov's
bidding -- foremost among them is president John McCrary, who issued this
order.

You can expect denials and howls of protest, but insiders know that Chess Life
was being censored when it came to reporting about FIDE and its misdeeds. Say
what you will about Kalev Pehme, he refused to abide by this secret policy.

I have been given a clear message to stop all the anti-FIDE reporting that has
been going into "checking in" and Larry Evans On Chess. We're supposed to be
positive about FIDE. Hmmm. I'm not happy about censuring anti-FIDE sentiment.
But my family comes first, and I want to keep my job. It was easier with my old
job. An assistant editor doesn't have to make the sticky decisions of whether
to go along with policy or face the possibility of getting fired. Former USCF
editor Peter Kurzdorfer (E-mail on August 30, 2002)

"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.
Old February 6th 05, 07:48 PM
Tom Klem

Gee Larry, what did you expect from these apparatchiks?

--
Tom Klem

"The Vulcan Science Council has determined that Time Travel is impossible"
---Commander T'Pol

Old February 6th 05, 07:55 PM
The Masked Bishop

We can still put him in charge of our annual swimsuit edition. That's where
he was taking us anyway.

--TMB

Old February 6th 05, 08:18 PM
Doom & Gloom Dave

The Masked Bishop wrote:
We can still put him in charge of our annual swimsuit edition. That's
where he was taking us anyway.

--TMB

Cheesecake shots of our female players with pretentious faux-literary prose
beneath. What a winner!