Old February 13th 05, 02:17 AM
David Ames

Default Right on target?

The probable reason to extradite Fischer from Japan is to try him for
tax evasion in the United States.

David Ames

Old February 13th 05, 02:59 AM
Hans Jørgen Lassen

1. There is no extradition case going on. Fischer can not be extradited as
his offence (violation of EO 12810) is not covered by the treaty between
Japan and the US.

2. The official reason for locking Fischer up for now 7 months is that his
passport is invalid.

3. Fischer is not wanted for tax evasion.

What reason do you have to believe that tax evasion has anything at all to
do with Fischer's spending 7 months in a Japanese jail?

HansJ

Old February 13th 05, 05:27 AM
Angelo De Pa1ma

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

oups.com...

Old February 13th 05, 02:43 PM
CRuderman

Why is he in jail? I still don't get it.

Old February 13th 05, 11:33 PM
David Ames

Hans J=F8rgen Lassen wrote:
1. There is no extradition case going on. Fischer can not be

extradited as
his offence (violation of EO 12810) is not covered by the treaty

between
Japan and the US.

That is correct. The case now going on concerns the removal of Fischer
from Japanese jurisdiction.

2. The official reason for locking Fischer up for now 7 months is

that his
passport is invalid.

The United States wants Fischer back. For that reason his passport has
been invalidated. The proposed cause of action in the United States
concerns an arrest warrant that was issued when Fischer violated an
Executive Order.

3. Fischer is not wanted for tax evasion.

If Fischer is returned to the United States, measures will be taken to
prosecute him for willful failure to file tax returns. If.

What reason do you have to believe that tax evasion has anything at

all to
do with Fischer's spending 7 months in a Japanese jail?

There is not a direct relation. To go from point A to point C, you
must go through point B.
=20
HansJ

Old February 14th 05, 08:38 AM
Hans Jørgen Lassen

"David Ames" wrote:

If Fischer is returned to the United States, measures will be taken to
prosecute him for willful failure to file tax returns. If.

Has there been any official declarations supporting that statement?

Given that Fischer has lived abroad since 1992, I suppose that he for the
period 1992-2004 not has been obliged to pay tax in the US? Or am I wrong in
that assumption?

For 1992 Fischer would not have to pay tax of his 3 mill. dollars price from
the match against Spasski, as he - from the view of the US - earned them
illegally. Claiming tax from that money would make the state an accomplice
in Fischer's "crime". Just as bankrobbers do not pay tax of their stolen
money.

Is there no time limit for things like this?

HansJ

Old February 14th 05, 02:58 PM
Mike Murray

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:38:11 +0100, "Hans Jørgen Lassen"
wrote:

Claiming tax from that money would make the state an accomplice
in Fischer's "crime". Just as bankrobbers do not pay tax of their stolen
money.

You clearly don't understand American tax law. One doesn't get a tax
exemption for illegal income. Google "Al Capone".

Is there no time limit for things like this?

Not filing a tax return is a crime. Not sure when the clock starts
ticking on the statute of limitations for this, when the perp is out
of the country.

HansJ

Old February 14th 05, 03:19 PM
Hans Jørgen Lassen

"Mike Murray" :

You clearly don't understand American tax law. One doesn't get a tax
exemption for illegal income. Google "Al Capone".

My point, although not too clearly stated, was that if the US accepts money
originally coming from this serbian bank via Fischer's tax, they would be
committing a similar crime as Fischer. That would be accepting dirty money
as Serbia was under embargo at the time this money was received by Fischer.
I dont think the money has been whitewashed during the passed many years,
but it probably has disappeared.

I do, I humbly admit, not understand American tax law. I would think a man
would be sentenced to prison for the actual crimes he committed, not for his
not paying taxes of this. Imagine Capone each year recording an income from
his illegal activities, paying his taxes on this, and living happily as a
free man!

HansJ

Old February 14th 05, 03:38 PM
Mike Murray

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:19:11 +0100, "Hans Jørgen Lassen"
wrote:

"Mike Murray" :

You clearly don't understand American tax law. One doesn't get a tax
exemption for illegal income. Google "Al Capone".

My point, although not too clearly stated, was that if the US accepts money
originally coming from this serbian bank via Fischer's tax, they would be
committing a similar crime as Fischer. That would be accepting dirty money
as Serbia was under embargo at the time this money was received by Fischer.
I dont think the money has been whitewashed during the passed many years,
but it probably has disappeared.

The IRS just wants the money, clean or dirty. God (or the Treasury)
can sort it out.

I do, I humbly admit, not understand American tax law. I would think a man
would be sentenced to prison for the actual crimes he committed, not for his
not paying taxes of this.

That's exactly what Al Capone said, "They can't collect legal taxes
from illegal money.". But his defense didn't hold up.

Imagine Capone each year recording an income from
his illegal activities, paying his taxes on this, and living happily as a
free man!

Yes, it boggles the mind.

HansJ

Old February 14th 05, 04:12 PM
Duncan Oxley

"Mike Murray" wrote in message

Not filing a tax return is a crime.

Are you sure? This was discussed to death a while back and
I seem to remember someone stating It's not a crime to not file.
That the classic 'tax evasion' involves filing a false return.

Perhaps Stan or Randy could clarify.

TIA,
Duncan