Old February 18th 05, 10:25 PM
NyMan05

Default Desperate Times at US Chess Live

Today, I received a spam from Chess Live announcing a sale on their
paid membership - up to 80% off. You can now buy 3 years of less than I
paid for one year of membership back when it first started.

I will ask the obvious question: who in their right mind actually
believes that Chess Live will be around in 3 years???

From what I hear, it ran out of money a long time ago and got rid off

its paid staff. Mr. Berez is the only one left.

A word to the wise: If Chess Live owes you any money, you better not
wait around and hope they pay it. I am stilled owed nearly $200.00 from
Friday Night Blitz Prizes from 2002! And I know there are many others
who are owed money. And they wonder why Grandmasters avoid the place
like the plague.

If this isn't a going out of business sale, I don't know what is..

Old February 18th 05, 11:02 PM
CRuderman

How long ago has this server been in business? I hate to see any
company going out of business but if what you said is true then it does
not sound good. I hope you will get your prizes. Good luck.

Old February 20th 05, 09:42 PM
XxXxX

When will this stop? One new HA, djud kicked out, alrightnow sucked his
way back to A, BarbaraVilliers banned, Arclight; a good friend of the
Truong family as HA, ManOfStyle; ChessTactics; ICM; AmsterDoom; Truong;
SusanPolgar; same person? An answer would be really helpful now.

Old February 20th 05, 10:13 PM
Gunsberg

Not a surprise. Chess Live failed to get critical mass, and is dying
on the vine. Really, the chess server niche is rather small, and ICC
has become the Wal-Mart that monopolizes business.

I won't be sad to see Chess Live fold, if it does. From accounts
that I've read, it exploited both the USCF membership, AND the USCF
itself.

Players may join up with chess servers that compete with ICC, but
eventually they realize that the ICC offers a better "product", and
they switch. It is lamentable that ICC thrives, as it ultimately harms
chess on the Internet. However, chess players are nothing, if not
crass, and will naturally seek the best short term deal for themselves,
even if it turns out to be to the detriment of the game.

NyMan05 wrote:
Today, I received a spam from Chess Live announcing a sale on their
paid membership - up to 80% off. You can now buy 3 years of less than

paid for one year of membership back when it first started.

I will ask the obvious question: who in their right mind actually
believes that Chess Live will be around in 3 years???

From what I hear, it ran out of money a long time ago and got rid

off

Old February 20th 05, 11:27 PM
David Richerby

Gunsberg wrote:
Not a surprise. Chess Live failed to get critical mass, and is dying
on the vine. Really, the chess server niche is rather small, and ICC
has become the Wal-Mart that monopolizes business.

Playchess.com seems to be doing rather well for itself, as does FICS.
But it would be very hard for anyone else to attain critical mass.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Hilarious Chainsaw (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a lethal weapon but it's a bundle

Old February 21st 05, 02:17 AM
Dan-the-K

I haven't yet played on any of these forums, but isn't ChessLive free
(for USCF members) and ICC not free???

Dan

Old February 21st 05, 02:33 AM
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)

Gunsberg:

It is lamentable that ICC thrives, as it
ultimately harms chess on the Internet.

Why? To me ICC provides a ray of hope
for chess in general, and on Internetin particular.
I am considering to go back to ICC :-)
But even as a guest I can still replay nice
GM games, can play a bit myself (without
any rating), etc. ICC offers a nice data base,
robots to practise endings, initeresting
chess lectures, and more.

Many of us are frustrated with years of FIDE
and USCF. But I wonder if the problem of chess
is chess itself. It is rather impressive that chess
over the centuries was doing as well as it did.
It must be its ability to collect the trivia :-)

Regards,

Wlod

Old February 21st 05, 08:58 AM
BarbaraVilliers

I'm playing on FICS. Although I far prefer the interface of Chess-Live
and I'm having to adjust to a brighter layout. I prefer it to the
interface of ICC. Just want to get my rating level with my Chess-Live
one
BarbaraVilliers

Old February 21st 05, 04:34 PM
David Richerby

BarbaraVilliers wrote:
I'm playing on FICS. Although I far prefer the interface of Chess-Live
and I'm having to adjust to a brighter layout. I prefer it to the
interface of ICC.

There are many different interfaces you can use with FICS. You can
download several from

http://www.freechess.org/cgi-bin/Dow..._Interface.cgi

and see which you like best.

Just want to get my rating level with my Chess-Live one

Remember that ratings only allow you to compare within the group of people
they rate so there's no reason to expect that your FICS and Chess-Live
ratings should be the same number, though they'll probably be quite close.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Broken Salted Windows (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a graphical user interface but it's