Old March 2nd 05, 04:10 PM
Chess One

Default Fide Boycott

In news today Fide will boycott events held in Spain resulting from issues
arising at the Olympiad. Will USA now boycott Fide in solidarity with Spain?

Phil Innes

Old March 2nd 05, 04:42 PM
Jeremy Spinrad

Wow, if this is true this should be a real call to action. What are Spain's
alleged actions?

Jerry Spinrad

Old March 2nd 05, 06:14 PM
Chess One

"Jeremy Spinrad" wrote in message
Wow, if this is true this should be a real call to action. What are
Spain's
alleged actions?

Jerry Spinrad

jerry, here is a slightly broader report as well as the URLs which provide
the background for Fide's excommunication of Spain - some others here are
privately discussing the matter in less guarded terms - phil

FIDE to boycott Spain, Spanish Federation replies
02.03.2005 In a terse press release FIDE has expressed dissatisfaction with
the Spanish Chess Federation and announced that it will no longer award
official FIDE events to Spain under the current leadership. To this the
Federation, one of the most active in the world, has replied, accusing FIDE
officials of extravagant wishes and misconduct. Information and
background...

Background
On February 26 and 27 there was a FIDE Presidential Board meeting in Tbilisi
(or Tiflis, the capital of Georgia). One of the results was to appoint
Ignatius Leong of Singapore as FIDE General Secretary, replacing Noureddine
Tabbane who earlier replaced the controversial Emmanuel Omuku. The second
was that FIDE issued a statement criticizing the organisation of the Chess
Olympiad in Calvia, Mallorca, in November last year. The World Chess
Federation has lost confidence in the leadership of the Spanish and will no
longer award official FIDE events to Spain.

This short document is obviously a reaction to the arrest and beating of
FIDE vice president Zurab Azmaiparashvili during the closing ceremony of the
Olympiad (Azmaiparashvili is Georgian and the host of the FIDE Presidential
Board meeting last week). Here is some background information on the events
at closing ceremony. The second article contains links to more material.

a.. Scandal in Calviŕ, FIDE vice president arrested
b.. Summary and feedback
The Spanish Chess Federation sent us a rejoinder to the FIDE announcement,
stating that the general opinion of the participating delegations was that
the organisation of the Chess Olympiad in Calviá had been excellent - with
the exception of certain FIDE delegates whose extravagant wishes were not
fulfilled. For this reason, and due to "a regrettable show by a FIDE
Vice-President - who by the way was one of the hosts at Tbilisi, who
currently is awaiting trial for injuries and attack to the authority", FIDE
had decided to adopt a boycott attitude.

Spain is one of the most active chess nations in the world.

Old March 3rd 05, 04:40 AM
Rob

Chess One wrote:
[...]

a.. Scandal in Calvi=E0, FIDE vice president arrested
b.. Summary and feedback
The Spanish Chess Federation sent us a rejoinder to the FIDE

announcement,
stating that the general opinion of the participating delegations was

that
the organisation of the Chess Olympiad in Calvi=E1 had been excellent

writes:
| In news today Fide will boycott events held in Spain resulting

from
issues
| arising at the Olympiad. Will USA now boycott Fide in solidarity

with
Spain?

| Phil Innes

Could this be the beginning of the end for FIDE? Have they shot
themselves in the foot?

Rob

Old March 3rd 05, 08:45 AM
Gunsberg

writes:
| In news today Fide will boycott events held in Spain resulting

from
issues
| arising at the Olympiad. Will USA now boycott Fide in

solidarity
with
Spain?

| Phil Innes

Could this be the beginning of the end for FIDE? Have they shot
themselves in the foot?

Rob

FIDE has shot itself in the foot so many times in the past 30
years....

FIDE won't be done in as long as they still can get despots to pony up
dirty money, and get desperate players to play in their events.

The European chess playing nations, along with the USA, should long
ago have quit FIDE. However, there are Quislings in the USCF, and in
most of the European chess federations, who are willing to countenance
FIDE's depravities as long as they get Kirsan's swag. These bureaucrats
control the respective chess federations, and effectively stymie any
impetus to abandon FIDE as a lost cause.

Old March 3rd 05, 01:49 PM

The European chess playing nations, along with the USA, should long
ago have quit FIDE. However, there are Quislings in the USCF, and in
most of the European chess federations, who are willing to countenance
FIDE's depravities as long as they get Kirsan's swag. These bureaucrats
control the respective chess federations, and effectively stymie any
impetus to abandon FIDE as a lost cause. Gunsberg

MIG'S DAILY DIRT

From the Avler Chess Forum:

"Ilyumzhinov, 42, has poured tens of millions of dollars into chess
since becoming FIDE president in 1995. He says the money has been his
own, but his critics have accused him of dipping into the tiny
republic's coffers to fund his chess obsession, including the
construction of his chess fantasy land, Chess City, a slick complex in
Elista built to host the 1998 Chess Olympics...One of Ilyumzhinov's
loudest critics was investigative journalist Larisa Yudina, editor of
Kalmykia's main opposition newspaper, Sovietskaya Kalmykia, who was
killed while looking into various allegations of official corruption,
including the murky financing of Chess City....Yudina's body was found
June 8, 1998, in a pond near her home in Elista with multiple stab
wounds and a fractured skull....The man convicted of organizing her
murder was a former aide to Ilyumzhinov who shortly before had been
released early from prison, where he was serving time on a manslaughter
charge."

From Larry Evans on Chess at worldchessnetwork.com (8/23/04)

"Chess czar Kirsan gets what he wants because FIDE now depends upon his
largesse for its survival. A journalist once described the spectacle of
FIDE insiders standing in a receiving line while Kirsan handed out jars
of caviar, his autobiography (Crown of Thorns) and gold rolex watches.
'What a shame that FIDE is run by a wealthy lunatic and a horde of
beggars,' observed IM Jack Peters, chess columnist for the Los Angeles
Times."

Did we really waste how many years trying to unify with this clown?

Posted by: greg koster at February 28, 2005 11:04 PM

Old March 5th 05, 08:58 PM
Bates Motel

What's the solution?

Old March 5th 05, 09:04 PM