Old March 7th 05, 03:51 AM
BrotherNehoc

Default Screw the Delegates

Yes it appears that once again the USCF [either the Director or the
Executive Board] has decided to in essence say screw you to the USCF
Delegates. This has been done by ignoring or violating a Delegate
passed resolution from one of the USCF Annual Meetings.

This previously happended when it took 3-4 years to get online ratings,
when a resolution relating to this was first passed back in 1999 in
Reno.

Now the resolution being broken relates to a resolution passed due to
the 2000 US Open in Minneapolis/St. Paul. At that US Open the Sunday
round was at 2pm in the afternoon. As a result many of the Delegate
motions were sent to the executive board with power to act [or more
likely not act]. Because of this a resolution was passed that no round
of a US Open tournament could impinge on the regular meeting times
[Saturday & Sunday 9am-5pm] of the Annual Delegates Meeting. If you
look in Chess Life the TLA for the 2005 US Open in Phoenix states a
final round at 2pm on Sunday.

This is in violation of the above mentioned Delegates resolution. I
would like to know who at the USCF gave the "OK" for the Phoenix
tournament to have this round at this time. Until I saw this I was
thinking about the possiblity of playing in the 5 day schedule. But,
now I will definitely skip playing in the US Open this year & only
attend the Annual Delegates Meeting.

Lawrence S. Cohen
USCF Delegate from Illinois

Old March 7th 05, 05:08 AM
Hal Terrie

On 6 Mar 2005 19:51:17 -0800, "BrotherNehoc"
wrote:

[...]

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I sponsored that
motion (ADM 01-89). I have e-mailed USCF Events Manager Diane Reese
and the Executive Board, informing them of their "error" and asking
what they plan to do to correct it.

You might want to hold off on cancelling your plans to attend
the tournament, as they may do the right thing and change the round
time.

-- Hal Terrie
Old March 7th 05, 03:06 PM
Randy Bauer

In article .com, BrotherNehoc
says...

[...]

The round schedule for the US Open has not come before the current Executive
Board. Although I have not spoken with other members of the Board, I assume
they share my interest in not violating Delegate resolutions.

This is in violation of the above mentioned Delegates resolution. I
would like to know who at the USCF gave the "OK" for the Phoenix
tournament to have this round at this time. Until I saw this I was
thinking about the possiblity of playing in the 5 day schedule. But,
now I will definitely skip playing in the US Open this year & only
attend the Annual Delegates Meeting.

My guess is that the organizers were not aware of this resolution. I'm going to
send on your concern to the USCF office. I'm supportive of any scheduling
arrangement that abides by the past delegate's resolution.

Randy Bauer

Old March 7th 05, 03:07 PM
Randy Bauer

In article , Hal Terrie says...

wrote:

[...]

Hal, did you email the Executive Board? I haven't seen anything, but I too am
sending this around to the USCF office for comment. I wasn't aware of your
resolution but certainly want to abide by it.

Randy Bauer

Old March 7th 05, 04:12 PM
George John

All,

FYI.

"Delegate Meeting Dates. The Delegates' meeting will be held no later
than the first full weekend of August. This requirement is in effect
for all U.S. Opens for which dates had not been set as of August 2000.
(2000)

1. No round of the U.S. Open may be scheduled to conflict with the
Delegates Meeting. (2001) "

Note: in addition to there being an apparent problem with scheduling a
round of the US Open against a Board of Delegates meeting, there
appears to be the further problem of scheduling the Board of Delegates
meeting later than the first weekend of August. The first full weekend
of August is 6-7. The Board of Delegates meeting appears to be August
13-14. Am I correct?

When was the date for the 2005 US Open set? Who is organizing the 2005
US Open, or is the event self-organized? It appears to be
self-organized since the USCF is taking entries.

One way out of part of this, I guess, is to make certain the Board of
Delegates meeting ends on Sunday before 2:00 p.m. I can find nothing
in the Bylaws that that states how long the meeting must be. However,
it would be a pity to have to rush the meeting in order to comply with
the motion above. Have I overlooked something?

I very much agree with Randy that all motions of the Board of Delegates
should be followed. That is on reason why I have previously called for
a Compliance Committee, composed of volunteers and/or professional
staff, which *assists* in helping those who must follow these motions,
with the goal of reducing unintended violations.

Best regards,

George John

See:
http://www.uschess.org/org/govern/de...terest_03.html
http://www.uschess.org/org/govern/2004delcall.pdf

Old March 7th 05, 04:36 PM
Hal Terrie

On 7 Mar 2005 07:07:47 -0800, Randy Bauer
wrote:

[SNIP]

Hal, did you email the Executive Board? I haven't seen anything, but I too am
sending this around to the USCF office for comment. I wasn't aware of your
resolution but certainly want to abide by it.

Randy Bauer

I did e-mail the Executive Board but just realized that I used
an old group address I created before you and Elizabeth were elected.
So neither of you received it. I have now corrected that by forwarding
to each of you the entire chain of e-mails which has since developed.
The response so far has not been encouraging.

-- Hal Terrie

Old March 7th 05, 11:12 PM
StanB

"BrotherNehoc" wrote in message
oups.com...

This is in violation of the above mentioned Delegates resolution. I
would like to know who at the USCF gave the "OK" for the Phoenix
tournament to have this round at this time. Until I saw this I was
thinking about the possiblity of playing in the 5 day schedule. But,
now I will definitely skip playing in the US Open this year & only
attend the Annual Delegates Meeting.

Larry, your priorities seem skewed here. Why not play in the tourney and
skip the last afternoon of the meeting? Its all BS anyway.

Old March 7th 05, 11:16 PM
StanB

"Hal Terrie" wrote in message

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I sponsored that
motion (ADM 01-89). I have e-mailed USCF Events Manager Diane Reese
and the Executive Board, informing them of their "error" and asking
what they plan to do to correct it.

Is Diane still on the payroll? I heard she and Bill got in a big fight and
she quit.

Old March 10th 05, 04:46 AM
BrotherNehoc

George John wrote:
[...]

The date for the 2005 U.S. Open was not set until after September 2001.
You know that the USCF does not plan the US Open site more than 2
years in advance.

One way out of part of this, I guess, is to make certain the Board of
Delegates meeting ends on Sunday before 2:00 p.m. I can find nothing
in the Bylaws that that states how long the meeting must be.

However,
it would be a pity to have to rush the meeting in order to comply

with
the motion above. Have I overlooked something?

The rushing to end by 2pm on a Sunday [Minneapolis/St. Paul 2000] is
what prompted the motion in the first place!