Old March 9th 05, 06:36 PM
Gunsberg

Default TSIC This Second in Chess on Linares Round 13 and more!

PeteCasso wrote:
Today, March 9, is Fischer's birthday. Best wishes for Fischer,

particularly
considering his current predicament!

"Fischer was THE most dominant chess world champion EVER." ... Garry
Kasparov.

This is not a hyperbole, but supported by the research of Jeff Sonas,

the
world-leading expert on chess ratings. Moreover, the man who said

that is
one of the most dominating chess world champion himself, during and

even
after his reign.

Kasparov v Anand in this penultimate round of Linares is a main line

Petrof,
signifying that Anand would be satisfied with a draw. Kasparov at +5,

three
games ahead of his closest chasers, agreed to a draw at move 22, ouch

Vallejo Pons voluntarily forfeiting his castling rights, unwise

against
Topalov, or hoping for the wild man Topalov to overextend?

Kasimdzhanov "facing" a completely unambitious setup of Leko. Leko is

2
games behind Anand and Topalov, and 2 games ahead of Adams, i.e. Leko

has no
realistic chances to change his tournament ranking either way, and it

looks
like he only wants to draw his last two games.

Leko did achieve his objective, if it was one, of holding Kasparov to

a draw
1-1 in their mini-match. Kasparov perhaps disappointed that this

indirect
comparison to Kramnik (draw between Kramnik and Leko in their world
championship match) did not go in his favor.

Kasparov has drawn his "micro-match" with Anand, as well. However,
he has won all 5 of his victories against the tail-enders Adams (2--0),
Kasimdzhanov (1.5--0.5), and Vallejo Pons (2--0), for an aggregate
score of 5.5/6 against those three. A 2900+ Performance rating speaks
for itself, but this fact provides context to more objectively judge
Kasparov's accomplishment. So far, in head to head play against the
numbers 2 (Anand), 3 (Topalov) & 4 (Leko) ranked players, he has not
demonstrated dominance.

Old March 9th 05, 06:53 PM
Don't Spam Me

Gunsberg wrote:
Kasparov has drawn his "micro-match" with Anand, as well. However,
he has won all 5 of his victories against the tail-enders Adams

(2--0),
Kasimdzhanov (1.5--0.5), and Vallejo Pons (2--0), for an aggregate
score of 5.5/6 against those three. A 2900+ Performance rating speaks
for itself, but this fact provides context to more objectively judge
Kasparov's accomplishment. So far, in head to head play against the
numbers 2 (Anand), 3 (Topalov) & 4 (Leko) ranked players, he has not
demonstrated dominance.

1. Perhaps the Adams, Kasim and Vallejo are tailenders in part because
they lost their minimatch to Kasparov. I wouldn't normally consider
Adams as a tailender, so a 2-0 victory over him is pretty good.

2. It's true that he didn't win the mini-matches against other high
rated players. However, the individual performance of those players
hasn't been as good as Kasparov's in this year's Linares. I don't have
the time to look it up right now, but it would be interesting to see
how Kasparov's individual results vs. other top players stands (in long
time controls). Other than Kramnik, he probably has a plus against most
(if not all) of the 2700+ crowd.

BTW, I'm no Kasparov fan... but his results (and play) are impressive
nonetheless. I'm a bit disappointed with Kramnik... not because he
didn't play in Linares, but because since winning the match vs.
Kasparov in 2000, he's dropped to #4 in the rating list... still high,
but you can see he doesn't feel the obligation that a Karpov or a
Kasparov felt of being #1 and winning lots of tournaments when they
were champs.

Old March 10th 05, 04:39 AM
Gunsberg

Don't Spam Me wrote:
Gunsberg wrote:
[...]

Of course--indeed a valid point. Adams has drawn more than he's
lost against Kasparov, at least in recent years. However, Adams has
never defeated Kasparov in a Classical game of chess, which makes him
neighbors with Shirov.

It is also worthwhile to note that the "recipe" that Topalov has
used to reach "+3" is from the same cookbook as Garry's. Topalov has
scored an aggregate of +4 versus the trio of Adams (+1 =1 ),
Kasimdzhanov (=1 +1), and Vallejo (+2). Only his Topalov's (rather
unlucky) loss to Anand has kept him at a point behind Garry.

Amusingly, discounting Vallejo's 0 for 4 results against Kasparov
and Topalov, he has an even score!

Adams would also be even, alongside Leko, if not for his 2 losses to
Kasparov.

2. It's true that he didn't win the mini-matches against other high
rated players. However, the individual performance of those players
hasn't been as good as Kasparov's in this year's Linares.

By and large true, although Topalov has won 2 straight games, making
the most of his late pairings vs. Kasimdzhanov and Vallejo Pons.

Anand has been the beneficiary of 2 half points. Without winning a
drawn game against Topalov, and drawing a lost game against Vallejo,
Anand would stand at Even.

And there is not much to say about Leko, other than that he has
served as an additional "Bye" for each player.

I don't have
the time to look it up right now, but it would be interesting to see
how Kasparov's individual results vs. other top players stands (in

long
time controls). Other than Kramnik, he probably has a plus against

most
(if not all) of the 2700+ crowd.

Without doubt. He must have heavy plus scores over most 2700 +
players, aside from Kramnik (and Deep Blue! and Junior, and Fritz)

I'm not sure how many times he has played Bacrot--maybe a couple

FIDE Top - Top Players January 2005

Rank Name Title Country Rating Games B-Day
1 Kasparov, Garry g RUS 2804 16 1963-04-13
2 Anand, Viswanathan g IND 2786 11 1969-12-11
3 Topalov, Veselin g BUL 2757 0 1975-03-15
4 Kramnik, Vladimir g RUS 2754 14 1975-06-25
5 Leko, Peter g HUN 2749 14 1979-09-08
6 Morozevich, Alexander g RUS 2741 21 1977-07-18
7 Adams, Michael g ENG 2741 20 1971-11-17
8 Svidler, Peter g RUS 2735 19 1976-06-17
9 Bacrot, Etienne g FRA 2715 5 1983-01-22
10 Shirov, Alexei g ESP 2713 19 1972-07-04
11 Ivanchuk, Vassily g UKR 2711 29 1969-03-18
12 Grischuk, Alexander g RUS 2710 26 1983-10-31
13 Bareev, Evgeny g RUS 2709 10 1966-11-21
14 Dreev, Alexey g RUS 2704 19 1969-01-30
15 Ponomariov, Ruslan g UKR 2700 8 1983-10-11
16 Gelfand, Boris g ISR 2696 17 1968-06-24
17 Akopian, Vladimir g ARM 2693 13 1971-12-07
18 Vallejo Pons, Francisco g ESP 2686 26 1982-08-21
19 Sokolov, Ivan g NED 2685 24 1968-06-13
20 Volokitin, Andrei g UKR 2685 20 1986-06-11

BTW, I'm no Kasparov fan... but his results (and play) are impressive
nonetheless.

No dispute there. However, one might reckon that Anand, Leko, and
Topalov will be right there with Garry at the next Super GM event,
while players like Vallejo Pons and Kasimdzhanov might not get invites.
So, I wouldn't draw any strong conclusions about Kasparov's ability to
maintain dominance over Anand, Leko, and Topalov.

I'm a bit disappointed with Kramnik... not because he
didn't play in Linares, but because since winning the match vs.
Kasparov in 2000, he's dropped to #4 in the rating list...

Soon to be #5, on the basis of the Corus chess tournament

still high,
but you can see he doesn't feel the obligation that a Karpov or a
Kasparov felt of being #1 and winning lots of tournaments when they
were champs.

Or the need to play, even when feeling infirm. Tal would check
himself out of the hospital to play a tournament. Kramnik needs to rest
for 3 months after playing an Exhibition game.

Old March 10th 05, 09:55 AM
David Richerby

Don't Spam Me wrote:
1. Perhaps the Adams, Kasim and Vallejo are tailenders in part because
they lost their minimatch to Kasparov. I wouldn't normally consider
Adams as a tailender, so a 2-0 victory over him is pretty good.

Well, if we take Kasparov out of the running, the table looks like this:

| 1 2 3 4 5 6 |
-----------------+-------------------+------
1. Topalov | 0= == 1= =1 11 | 6.5
2. Anand | 1= == = =1 == | 6.0
3. Leko | == == == == = | 4.5
4. Adams | 0= = == == 1= | 4.5
5. Kasimdzhanov | =0 =0 == == =0 | 3.5
6. Vallejo Pons | 00 == = 0= =1 | 3.5

So, in fact, if we pretend that Kasparov wasn't in the tournament, the
remaining players end up in exactly the same position as they already a
Adams, Kasim and Vallejo would be the tail-enders regardless.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Edible Beefy Lotion (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ soothing hand lotion that's made from
Old March 10th 05, 02:26 PM
Ed Gaillard

In article ,
David Richerby wrote:
Don't Spam Me wrote:
1. Perhaps the Adams, Kasim and Vallejo are tailenders in part because
they lost their minimatch to Kasparov. I wouldn't normally consider
Adams as a tailender, so a 2-0 victory over him is pretty good.

Well, if we take Kasparov out of the running, the table looks like this:

| 1 2 3 4 5 6 |
-----------------+-------------------+------
1. Topalov | 0= == 1= =1 11 | 6.5
2. Anand | 1= == = =1 == | 6.0
3. Leko | == == == == = | 4.5
4. Adams | 0= = == == 1= | 4.5
5. Kasimdzhanov | =0 =0 == == =0 | 3.5
6. Vallejo Pons | 00 == = 0= =1 | 3.5

So, in fact, if we pretend that Kasparov wasn't in the tournament, the
remaining players end up in exactly the same position as they already a
Adams, Kasim and Vallejo would be the tail-enders regardless.

Looking at this table, don't you think it's a little odd to describe
someone with an even score as a "tail-ender"?

-ed g.
--
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just. (Thomas Jefferson)

Old March 12th 05, 10:57 PM
NYS Chess

Did Garry blunder in the endgame against Topalov?