Old March 11th 05, 05:19 AM
Gunsberg

Default Garry Kasparov retires!!

Jon Ingellis wrote:
According to Chessbase!
http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=2258

Breaking news: Kasparov retires from professional chess
10.03.2005 The winner of Linares and the world's strongest

chessplayer,
Garry Kasparov, has just announced his retirement from professional

chess.
His games in Linares are the last in his professional career, that

has
spanned thirty years, with twenty on the top of the ratings list.

Full
details to follow.

I believe that he is sincere in his intention to retire. And I can
certainly see the atraction for him in going out on top of his game,
holding the highest rating. Still, if, perhaps the prospects for
getting a Title shot at a Unified World's Champion's Crown were to
improve dramatically, we might see him unretire.

At any rate it is unwelcome news. I doubt even Garry's rivals are
celebrating (except maybe for Karpov, who may become more active)

Without Kasparov on the scene, organizers may be less inclined to pay
the sums of money that are currently disbursed. Kasparov is the one
with the name recognition--outside the chess world, the other top
Grandmasters are relatively obscure.

Old March 11th 05, 07:13 PM
Morphy's ghost

In the year of our Lord 10 Mar 2005 21:19:42 -0800, "Gunsberg"
wrote:

Jon Ingellis wrote:
[...]

I expect to see him unretire the moment a really big payday comes
along.

At any rate it is unwelcome news. I doubt even Garry's rivals are
celebrating (except maybe for Karpov, who may become more active)

Without Kasparov on the scene, organizers may be less inclined to pay
the sums of money that are currently disbursed. Kasparov is the one
with the name recognition--outside the chess world, the other top
Grandmasters are relatively obscure.

The enemy fight in chains, invisible chains, but heavy;
Their minds are fetter'd; then how can they be free,
-- William Blake
Old March 12th 05, 02:17 AM
ian burton

"Gunsberg" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jon Ingellis wrote:
[...]

I happily await seeing the anagram headline: Garry Kasparov Retries!

--
Ian Burton
[Please Reply to Newsgroup]

Old March 12th 05, 10:30 PM
CS

Is his retirement final?

CS

Old March 13th 05, 01:08 AM
NatWest

Money talks!

Old March 13th 05, 02:12 AM
Nick

CS wrote (about Garry Kasparov):
Is his retirement final?

Kasparov's retirement should be considered 'final',
of course, until he decides to play chess again. :-)

--Nick

Old March 13th 05, 12:58 PM
HB Super Event

Welcome to the HB Global Chess Challenge registration process. Please
read through this page of information completely as it contains
important information to help you get registered quickly.

You can register online by clicking the REGISTER NOW button below or by
calling the HB Global Chess Challenge registration center at
1-800-964-2448 or 205-941-4448.

If you are under 18 years old, you will need to have a parent or
guardians permission in order to play in the HB Global Chess Challenge.
You can still register today for the tournament, simply mail in the
permission forms afterwards. Please go to the FAQ/Policies section and
print out the Recording Authorization Form and the Release of
Liability/Parental Consent Form; both forms must be signed by a
parent/guardian and returned to the HB Foundation prior to the start of
the first round of the tournament.

By registering for the HB Global Chess Challenge all players agree to
abide by all of the stated policies under the FAQ/Policies section. By
registering for the Tournament you also agree that you will sign the
Release of Liability Form at the Tournament Check-in Booth at the
Minneapolis Convention Center.

Important items to know:
You can register online or via phone at the call center. Payments
accepted include Visa, MasterCard, Discover or a check (payment in U.S.
dollars only).

Check payments must be received within 15 calendar days of registration
or the registration will be cancelled. Check payments should be made
payable to HB Foundation, and mailed to: HB Foundation, 3140 Neil
Armstrong Blvd., Suite 311, Eagan, MN 55121.

You will receive a confirmation number after you have registered.
Please retain this for your records.

You will be asked to create a password during the registration process.
This password must be a minimum of 4 characters long and it is case
sensitive. Please write down your password in a safe place where you
will remember it.

You must be a member of the USCF to play in the HB Global Chess
Challenge. You can still register today for the tournament, but you
will need to supply your USCF membership I.D. # prior to the start of
the tournament. Please visit the USCF at uschess.org to purchase your
USCF membership.

You will receive a $50.00 discount off the registration price of
$345.00 if you register with a friend. There is no limit to how many
friends you can register with, every one of you will still receive the
$50.00 discount, making your final entry fee only $295.

If you choose to register with a friend and each of you wants to pay
separately simply enter the promo code "FRIEND2" when prompted, along
with your friend's name. As long as you enter your friend's name, you
each will receive the $50.00 discount even though you are registering
separately. Each person should only select a quantity of one ( 1 ) when
registering for the tournament.

If you choose to register with a friend and want to have only one
person pay all of the entry fees for everybody; the person paying will
still need to enter the promo code "FRIEND2" when prompted, along with
the friend's names. The person paying should select the appropriate
quantity for the number of people they are registering. The
registration system will then prompt you to enter all of the specific
information for each of your friends.

Please complete all of the required information in the online
registration form and follow the stated directions.