Old March 12th 05, 03:58 PM
NYS Chess

Default Question for Randy

Randy,

What are the 3 most critical issues for the USCF today and how do you
plan to solve them?

Thx
W.A

Old March 12th 05, 04:46 PM

What are the 3 most critical issues for the USCF today? -- "W.A."

1. Staving off bankruptcy due to the ill-advised move to Crossville.

2. Staving off bankruptcy due to the ill-advised move to Crossville.

3. Staving off bankruptcy due to the ill-advised move to Crossville.

-- Larry Parr

Old March 12th 05, 04:57 PM
Ray Gordon

1. Staving off bankruptcy due to the ill-advised move to Crossville.

2. Staving off bankruptcy due to the ill-advised move to Crossville.

3. Staving off bankruptcy due to the ill-advised move to Crossville.

Larry,

I doubt the Crossville move will bankrupt USCF. If anything, it will cut
their overhead tremendously and make them much leaner going forward, which
combined with the profitable B&E, should leave them on very solid footing.

Top three priorities for USCF?

1. Make ONE-MINUTE CHESS the official time control for all USCF events
(hint: this is what will sell on television and increase purses)

2. Get rid of Chess Life and turn it into an e-zine.

3. Establish IP rights for chessplayers and their games so that they can
profit from them the way the major sports do.

--
Ray Gordon, Author
http://www.cybersheet.com/easy.html

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library. Four free books to get you started on your quest to
get laid.

Don't buy anything from experts who won't debate on a free speech forum.

Old March 12th 05, 07:52 PM
CS

Ray, are you for real? ONE-MINUTE CHESS the official time control for
all USCF events???

CS

Old March 12th 05, 09:02 PM
Tom Klem

Larry,

Is this really you? I have trouble believing you playing this one note samba
after the fact, and prefer to believe that someone is spoofing your address.

--
Tom Klem

"Time goes by so fast, people go in and out of your life. You must never
miss the opportunity to tell these people how much they mean to you."
---"Frasier on Cheers"

oups.com...

Old March 12th 05, 10:34 PM
CS

Larry,

I thought the USCF is in great financial shape. Why are you talking
about bankruptcy? Do you know something we don't?

CS

Old March 13th 05, 01:04 AM
StanB

"CS" wrote in message
oups.com...

Larry,

I thought the USCF is in great financial shape. Why are you talking
about bankruptcy? Do you know something we don't?

Larry doesn't know his ass from a ho;e in the ground.

Old March 13th 05, 01:15 AM
Ray Gordon

Ray, are you for real? ONE-MINUTE CHESS the official time control for
all USCF events???

Nakamura would still be US Champion if they made the switch.

Old March 13th 05, 03:52 AM
Randy Bauer

"NYS Chess" wrote in message
oups.com...
Randy,

What are the 3 most critical issues for the USCF today and how do you
plan to solve them?

Thx
W.A

I think you have to separate these into short and long term issues. Short
term, the USCF has to complete the move to Crossville without compromising
the day to day functions of the organization. I think we're heading in the
right direction here. Most members probably don't realize that there
already is an operation in place in Crossville and some functions, such as
accounting, are being handled there. We've arranged to maintain dual
operations for a short period of time to allow an orderly transition. Once
that move is complete, we will realize savings in a variety of operations
areas and can concentrate on other issues.

In the longer range, USCF has to improve member services. We need to be
more timely in our regular contacts with members, more customer focused and
provide services in a way that doesn't require multiple office contacts or
comparisons with a root canal to get something accomplished for a member,
tournament director or organizer.

USCF also has to make Chess Life more interesting and more in tune with its
readers. I've been reading Chess Life for over 30 years, and the format
really hasn't changed much in that period of time. I can't say the same of
other magazines in that same timeframe. The way the public gets its news,
chess or otherwise, has changed dramatically in that period of time. Chess
Life needs to change as well. We need more interest stories that interest
the readers, more content that isn't readily available from other sources on
the Internet, and a Chess Life that isn't the average readers' father's
Chess Life. It's time for something different and fresh.

Finally, the USCF needs to develop more and better strategic partnerships.
Chess in this country isn't only about your run of the mill over the board
tournaments, and we need a better relationship with Internet chess
providers. Likewise, we need to engage corporate sponsors and other
entrepreneurs who view chess as something marketable. To do that, though,
the USCF needs to better understand its membership and how it can be of
interest to corporate partners. Have we really worked to develop the
profile of the USCF membership? Can we present a demographic picture of the
USCF membership that interests corporate sponsors or partners? Until we can
do so, I doubt we're going to really get our foot in the door and create the
alliances that can advance the image of chess in this country.

Randy Bauer

Old March 13th 05, 01:09 PM
HB Super Event

Welcome to the HB Global Chess Challenge registration process. Please
read through this page of information completely as it contains
important information to help you get registered quickly.

You can register online by clicking the REGISTER NOW button below or by
calling the HB Global Chess Challenge registration center at
1-800-964-2448 or 205-941-4448.

If you are under 18 years old, you will need to have a parent or
guardians permission in order to play in the HB Global Chess Challenge.
You can still register today for the tournament, simply mail in the
permission forms afterwards. Please go to the FAQ/Policies section and
print out the Recording Authorization Form and the Release of
Liability/Parental Consent Form; both forms must be signed by a
parent/guardian and returned to the HB Foundation prior to the start of
the first round of the tournament.

By registering for the HB Global Chess Challenge all players agree to
abide by all of the stated policies under the FAQ/Policies section. By
registering for the Tournament you also agree that you will sign the
Release of Liability Form at the Tournament Check-in Booth at the
Minneapolis Convention Center.

Important items to know:
You can register online or via phone at the call center. Payments
accepted include Visa, MasterCard, Discover or a check (payment in U.S.
dollars only).

Check payments must be received within 15 calendar days of registration
or the registration will be cancelled. Check payments should be made
payable to HB Foundation, and mailed to: HB Foundation, 3140 Neil
Armstrong Blvd., Suite 311, Eagan, MN 55121.

You will receive a confirmation number after you have registered.
Please retain this for your records.

You will be asked to create a password during the registration process.
This password must be a minimum of 4 characters long and it is case
sensitive. Please write down your password in a safe place where you
will remember it.

You must be a member of the USCF to play in the HB Global Chess
Challenge. You can still register today for the tournament, but you
will need to supply your USCF membership I.D. # prior to the start of
the tournament. Please visit the USCF at uschess.org to purchase your
USCF membership.

You will receive a $50.00 discount off the registration price of
$345.00 if you register with a friend. There is no limit to how many
friends you can register with, every one of you will still receive the
$50.00 discount, making your final entry fee only $295.

If you choose to register with a friend and each of you wants to pay
separately simply enter the promo code "FRIEND2" when prompted, along
with your friend's name. As long as you enter your friend's name, you
each will receive the $50.00 discount even though you are registering
separately. Each person should only select a quantity of one ( 1 ) when
registering for the tournament.

If you choose to register with a friend and want to have only one
person pay all of the entry fees for everybody; the person paying will
still need to enter the promo code "FRIEND2" when prompted, along with
the friend's names. The person paying should select the appropriate
quantity for the number of people they are registering. The
registration system will then prompt you to enter all of the specific
information for each of your friends.

Please complete all of the required information in the online
registration form and follow the stated directions.