Old March 13th 05, 11:29 PM

Default Crisis in the USCF

The USCF was formed in 1939 and I first joined in 1956.

Since I have been a member, there have been three kinds of boards:

1. The Bad Boards
2. The Terrible Boards
3. The Even Worse Than That Boards

However, in all these years there has never been such a nasty, mean
sprited and utterly destructive board as the board we have now, which
is controlled by a group dedicated to the utter destruction of the
USCF as we know it. They have sold the USCF building illegally and
without delegate approval and are now in the process of squandering
the money on a new headquarters building they plan to build in
Crossville,Tennessee at greater cost but smaller than the building
they sold,a new building which will be virtually worthless and
unsalable when it is completed. No reasonable person would agree to
such a scheme.

I would like you to join with me in opposing such this scheme, a
scheme so bad that it could not be done with good intentions. You can
just imagine what their real motives are.

I would like to correspond with you further on this. May I do so?

(I am speaking from the grave because, as everybody knows, I am dead.)

Old March 13th 05, 11:49 PM
N. Silver

Sam Sloan wrote:

...are now in the process of squandering the money on a
new headquarters building they plan to build in Crossville,
Tennessee at greater cost but smaller than the building they
sold, a new building which will be virtually worthless and
unsalable when it is completed. No reasonable person
would agree to such a scheme.

I would like you to join with me in opposing such this scheme,
a scheme so bad that it could not be done with good intentions.
You can just imagine what their real motives are.

Care to offer your opinion on their motives, Sam?

Old March 13th 05, 11:58 PM
CS

Sam Sloan wrote:
The USCF was formed in 1939 and I first joined in 1956.

Since I have been a member, there have been three kinds of boards:

1. The Bad Boards
2. The Terrible Boards
3. The Even Worse Than That Boards

However, in all these years there has never been such a nasty, mean
sprited and utterly destructive board as the board we have now, which
is controlled by a group dedicated to the utter destruction of the
USCF as we know it.

Why do you say this? Can you give some examples? Who is bad?

They have sold the USCF building illegally and
without delegate approval and are now in the process of squandering
the money on a new headquarters building they plan to build in
Crossville,Tennessee at greater cost but smaller than the building
they sold,a new building which will be virtually worthless and
unsalable when it is completed. No reasonable person would agree to
such a scheme.

I was under the impression that the delegates approved the sale of the
building.

I would like you to join with me in opposing such this scheme, a
scheme so bad that it could not be done with good intentions. You can
just imagine what their real motives are.

How can you oppose this? The office in Crossville is already in
business.

I would like to correspond with you further on this. May I do so?

(I am speaking from the grave because, as everybody knows, I am

dead.)

Sam Sloan

CS

Old March 14th 05, 12:14 AM
Angelo De Pa1ma

Sam,

I almost totally agree. As for this guy egging you on to go out on a limb
and make accusations: I strongly urge you not to until you have hard
evidence, i.e. an intercepted message calling unambiguously for the
destruction of USCF. Something with a cover that reads, "RESOLUTION 853-B: A
CALL FOR THE DESTRUCTION of USCF THROUGH DIABOLICAL MEANS."

I'm not certain the motives must necessarily be 100% bad. A lot of people
who are for this move truly love USCF, chess, and everything that goes along
with them. They need something to believe in, and this is it.

It would take too much study, too much work to figure out how the "Xxville
myth" started. The facts, decisions, personalities, are buried. But it is a
myth, I assure you. Like the WC unification myth.

At best, if USCF survives it will be despite this move and not because of
it. At worst, the bad financial and operational decisions related to it will
bring down the federation within three years.

Old March 14th 05, 12:48 AM
PA freak

Join ICC and play bullet! Problems solved!

http://www.cybersheet.com/easy=AD.html
Seduction Made Easy. Get this book FREE when you buy participating
affiliated books!

http://www.cybersheet.com/libr=ADary.html
The Seduction Library. Four free books to get you started on your
quest to get laid.

Don't buy anything from experts who won't debate on a free speech
forum.

Old March 14th 05, 01:32 AM
StanB

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

(I am speaking from the grave because, as everybody knows, I am dead.)

We prey for you.

Old March 14th 05, 01:42 AM

It is with great sadness that I read of Mr. Sloan's premature demise
from an erstwhile reliable source, namely himself. I think it's only
proper to memorialize the passing of this tall man and his giant
webpage with a fitting song, a dirge as it were. With apologies to
Rodgers & Hart, I have taken the liberty of calling the following
humble lines "Pore Sam Is Daid":

(To be sung slowly in a hokey cowboy accent in a minor key)

Pore Sam is daid,
Pore Sam Sloan is daid,
All gather at his website now and mourn,
For there soon will come a day,
When they take the site away,
Including his collection of soft porn.

Pore Sam is daid,
Pore Sam Sloan is daid,
Another New York cabbie laid to rest,
Yes his meter's stopped a runnin',
And there's no longer the same fun in
RGCP and all the message boards he blessed.

(To be spoken in a country accent

And then the preacher'd get up and he'd say: "Folks, we are gather'd
here to bitch and moan of the passing of Brother Sloan, who drownded
hisself in a sea of briefs and writs." And then there'd be plenty
aweepin' and a wailin' from his many wimmin. And then he'd say: "Sam
was the most misunderstood man in Usenet Territory. People used to
think he was no-good cabbie driver and they called him a lyin'
Leko-slayer and a two-bit wimminizer."

(Hokey singing cowboy again.)

But the folks as rilly knowed him,
Knowed that 'neath the nuisance suits and other
mess,
Beat a heart so big it had its own address. (Own
address.)

(Speaking.)

Sam Sloan loved his fellow men,
He particulerly loved his fellow wimmin,
He loved Kayo from Japan and Honzagool from
Pakistan,
He had a kind of love-hate thang goin' with Grishkin
from Hong Kong,
But he treated them all as his betters, which he was
right!

(Cowboys singing in concert)

Pore Sam is dead,
Pore Sam Sloan is dead,
Just hear them lonesome g-pawns start to wail,
Folks at RGC are sad,
Cuz they useter treat him bad,
And didn't mean that he should rilly go to h***.

Pore Sam is dead,
"Out of service" lights his head,
He's drivin' that great taxi in the sky,
And the tourneys that he'd frequent,
Miss a presence piqued and piquant,
Cause pore Sammy's had to take his final bye.

(spoken softly, reverently)

Pore Sam. Pore Sam.

Because Mr. Sloan was kind enough to take my last musical effort ("The
Fast Train to Crossville", to the tune of the Monkees' "Last Train to
Clarksville") graciously, I have high hopes that he will view my poor
effort above with similar good humor. And perhaps he will even feel
some twinge of gratitude that I have decided to exclude my companion
song "I'm Back In My Taxi Again."

-Geof Strayer

Old March 14th 05, 02:05 AM

For those of you, if any, not familiar with the original Rodgers & Hart
tune, here is a link:

http://homepage.mac.com/annhegstrom/iMovieTheater7.html

- Geof

Old March 14th 05, 04:43 AM

RANDY BAUER'S SONG AND DANCE

At best, if USCF survives it will be de spite this move and not
because of it. At worst, the bad financial and operational decisions
related to it will bring down the federation within three years. --
Angelo De Palma

Randy Bauer attacked his fellow EB member Frank Brady for posting an
essay that he alleged was filled with untruths and irresponsible thises
and thatses.

I have gone through that posting paragraph by paragraph looking
for those untruths and irresponsible thises and thatses. It appears
that Mr. Brady was spot on target.

Mr. Bauer, who made the smear, resolutely refuses to point out
the kind of errors that would merit Mr. Brady to withdraw his remarks.

Meanwhile, to defend his leaving legal expenses off his vague
estimate of the move to Cross-to-Bear, Mr. Bauer told us a few days
back that the legal expenses would have been worse if the Federation
were
not to move. Yet Mr. Bauer told us in October 2004 that there were no
legal threats occasioning the move to Cross-to-Bear. If necessary, I
will post his comments again (which are listed under another thread).

I would like to know what in Mr. Brady's essay rises to the
level of the baldface lying in Mr. Bauer's party-line song and dance?

ENTERING AN ATTEMPTED NEW PHASE

We still do not have the detailed cost estimates of the move to
Cross-to-Bear.

We have entered a new phase: the happy talk phase in which
political friends talks about another subject than the suppressed cost
estimates of the more to Cross-to-Bear.

Every crummy, dishonest ploy has been tried to avoid handing
over the suppressed numbers.

First, Tim Hanke stated on January 25, that
there was a technical matter involved in getting the
numbers to you. He would have to get Board
permission. (A few days back, Randy Bauer reversed
the song-and-dance and said he could not release
the numbers unless he spoke with Tim and Beatriz Marinello.

Secondly, when this writer continued to ask
when we would receive the claimed detailed cost
estimates, Mr. Bauer and his claque began an
orchestrated ploy, calling me a dirt farmer who was
not a USCF member.

Thirdly, when MEMBERS requested the numbers,
there was blank silence.

Fourthly, Randy Bauer came online to offer
estimates ranging from $150,000 to $200,000. These
figures, it turned out, were not the detailed cost
estimates, but Mr. Bauer's personal estimate. When
asked what the numbers included, Mr. Bauer was and
continues to be vague. We have since learned the
numbers do not include the $60,000 in annualized
"expenses" to USCF President Beatriz Marinello or the
amount spent in legal fees or, possibly, payments into
the NY State unemployment fund or, it would seem, a
big loss that will now be taken on the building to be
constructed in Cross-to-Bear. (The USCF received
$515,000 from the sale in New Windsor and will be
shelling out $550,000 or considerably more for a
building less than half the size in Cross-to-Bear.)
What else may be missing from Mr. Bauer's estimate, we
know not.

But we do know that Mr. Bauer speaks of how even if his
estimates are off by a factor of two, this move will still be a grand
and geee-lorious thing. We are obviously being prepared for some rather
shocking numbers in the future.

Fifthly, there came a new area of attack. This writer was
either off his meds or drinking too much. This ploy lasted a couple of
days, but when MEMBERS again requested numbers, there was silence.

Sixthly, Randy Bauer told us that Phil Elmore, the $60,000
architect in Cross-to- already been renegotiated -- someone is lying)
and it would be best not to release the estimates because, well,
Famished Phil is "receptive" and "appears" to do good
work.

Seventhly, Randy Bauer came back after six to seven weeks to say
he would have to consult Tim and Beatriz before releasing detailed cost
estimates.

Eighthly, there is happy talk stuff about the coming election,
support, things to do in the future. It is the old "let's move on"
ploy, which USCF politicians always trot out when they run out of
reasons not to divulge unpleasant numbers.

THE CONTRACT WITH FAMISHED PHIL

This writer broke the story that the USCF signed a contract with
Famished Phil Elmore to pay the Crossville architect $60,000 to design
a building estimated at the time to cost $300,000 to $350,000. The
latest estimate is $550,000, and an insider tells me that this number
could rise by another $100,000. The sky is the limit!

The EB did not divulge this contract to the MEMBERS because they
are busy, friendly volunteers who are honest to the core. Or they were
picking their noses. So it was up to this dirt farmer to tell you the
truth, which may be leading to a renegotiated contract.

Members of the executive board refuse to answer these questions:

1. Is Famished Phil a friend of Harry Sabine?

2. Did Harry Sabine know of the overcharge and keep his Tennessee trap
shut at the expense of the Federation?

3. Did Mr. Sabine, a possible friend of Famished Phil, okay the
contract for the USCF?

4. Has anyone on the EB consulted attorneys over the propriety of a
possible personal friend commenting on the contract involving another
friend?

5. We are told Mr. Sabine okayed another contract with Famished Phil
-- or did he? Mr. Bauer says that Famished Phil is "receptive" to
renegotiation, which is not the same as a renegotiated contract. Has a
renegotiated contract been signed by all parties?

RANDY BAUER'S BALDFACED LIE

This writer has watched how Mr. Bauer, with the help of his political
confreres such as CPA Stan Booz, have employed every imaginable ploy to
avoid telling MEMBERS what the detailed estimated costs are for the
move to Cross-to-Bear.

The only numbers coming have been from Mr. Bauer, a vague
estimate based on his own thinking. I asked what his numbers included.
He defended leaving off legal expenses because if the Federation had
not moved to Cross-to-Bear, then there would likely have been far
greater legal expenses involving a major suit.

Yet in October 2004, Mr. Bauer posted here his statement that
all was hunky-dory. There was no legal coercion involved in the move
and that the Board had not even discussed a legal letter from Tennessee
for "weeks," such was the level of comfort. Yet a few days back, he
said it was precisely the threat of legal action that justified his
leaving legal expenses off his estimates.

When you are lying through your teeth, the toughest thing to do
is to keep the details of a false story straight over many months of
time.

We have here a prime example from Mr. Bauer of just such
lying.

That's right: Mr. Bauer lied to you in great and good bad
faith.

Old March 14th 05, 04:51 AM
Ray Gordon

The USCF was formed in 1939 and I first joined in 1956.

So that would make it a 49-year crisis?

(sorry, that was too easy)

--
Ray Gordon, Author