Old March 14th 05, 03:03 PM

Default Kasparov essay in Wall Street Journal

The March 14, 2005 issue of the Wall Street Journal has a piece "The
Great Game" by Kasparov, where he discusses his future plans for chess
(as an author and promoter, not a tournament player) and Russian
politics. The site is
http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1...cont ent=otep
, but a WSJ subscription may be required.

Old March 14th 05, 04:07 PM
Le Modern Caveman

I'm BarbaraVilliers

http://www.cybersheet.com/easy.html
Seduction Made Easy. Get this book FREE when you buy participating
affiliated books!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library. Four free books to get you started on your
quest to get laid.

Don't buy anything from experts who won't debate on a free speech forum

Old March 14th 05, 05:05 PM
Jerzy

wrote in message
oups.com...
, but a WSJ subscription may be required.

Yes, it is required. Can you summarize the article here in a few sentences ?

Old March 14th 05, 09:19 PM
Vladyslav Kosulin

There is just published interview with Garry in Russian taken after his loss to
Topalov before and after the press-conference:

http://sport-express.ru/art.shtml?100546

If we exclude the repeating blames on everybody to not allow him to get the
title back, obvious misrepresentations of some well-known facts and very strange
statements, the only interesting thing he said is that now we can expect the
series to include 10 volumes (2 books on Garry's best games, a book on Kasparov
vs. computers, and a book on champions biographies without chess analysis)

Vlad

Old March 14th 05, 10:00 PM
Jerzy

"Vladyslav Kosulin" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
There is just published interview with Garry in Russian taken after his

loss to
Topalov before and after the press-conference:

http://sport-express.ru/art.shtml?100546

If we exclude the repeating blames on everybody to not allow him to get

the
title back, obvious misrepresentations of some well-known facts and very

strange
statements, the only interesting thing he said

There`s no doubt that you have missed several interesting statements made by
Kasparov e.g. about Linares.

is that now we can expect the
series to include 10 volumes (2 books on Garry's best games, a book on

Kasparov
vs. computers, and a book on champions biographies without chess analysis)

It`s good that he doesn`t want to stop writing his superb books. Anyway he
is much better at chess than e.g. Kramnik who plays drawish chess and writes
almost nth ;-)

Old March 15th 05, 12:23 AM
[email protected]

Jerzy wrote:

It`s good that [Kasparov] doesn`t want to stop writing his superb

books. Anyway he
is much better at chess than e.g. Kramnik who plays drawish chess and

writes
almost nth ;-)

I don't think Kasparov is much better *at* tournament chess than
Kramnik (they are close in strength), but he certainly has been better
*for* chess. For much of his career, Kasparov has strived for the
maximum possible result in tournaments, like Fischer. I think the
active player today who most resembles Fischer in fighting spirit is
Topalov, who would make a worthy world champion. I hope that Topalov
defeats Kramnik in a match and/or wins a future FIDE knockout event.

Why is there no book on Topalov's games? His career is still young (I
hope), but there is already enough material for a good games
collection.

Old March 15th 05, 12:29 AM
[email protected]

Jerzy wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
, but a WSJ subscription may be required.

Yes, it is required. Can you summarize the article here in a few

sentences ?

Here are some excerpts.

"It's not common, in our age, for someone to retire while still at the
top; but I'm a man who needs a goal, and who wants to make a
difference. My accomplishments and contributions are for others to
judge, but I feel that I am no longer playing an essential role in
chess. With reclaiming the unified world championship out of reach due
to political chaos in the chess world, I am reduced to unfulfilling
repetition."

"I am currently working on a book on how life imitates chess, that will
be released this fall in America by Penguin. It examines the unique
formulae people use in thinking and problem-solving. For example, the
way hope and doubt affect how we process information, or the way we
perform in a crisis. I hope it will also serve as a guide to improving
these processes."

"The more time I spend exploring the limitless realm of human thought,
the harder it becomes to contain my energy within 64 black and white
squares. The huge amount of work required to stay at the top has led to
diminishing returns both for me and for the chess world. Every year it
takes more study time to keep up with my young competitors, who have
all followed my methods of working ceaselessly with computers to
prepare. Opening variations must be analyzed to depths of dozens of
moves and you carry around a "mental database" of tens of thousands of
moves that is constantly updated.

I will also have more time for chess causes long dear to my heart. One
is the promotion of chess in education. The U.S.-based Kasparov Chess
Foundation supports chess in schools and is working on a blueprint for
teaching chess in the classroom."

"But ultimately, it is my interest in politics that has played the
principal role in my decision to reallocate my resources away from
chess. For many years, I have been an ardent supporter of democracy in
Russia, and at certain times I have participated in political
activities. Now I will be able to do this with the same determination
and passion I brought to the chessboard."

Old March 15th 05, 02:10 AM
Vladyslav Kosulin

Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:

There is just published interview with Garry in Russian taken after his
loss to Topalov before and after the press-conference:

http://sport-express.ru/art.shtml?100546

If we exclude the repeating blames on everybody to not allow him to get
the title back, obvious misrepresentations of some well-known facts and
very strange statements, the only interesting thing he said is that now
we can expect the series to include 10 volumes (2 books on Garry's best
games, a book on Kasparov vs. computers, and a book on champions
biographies without chess analysis)

And one more interesting statement from the same interview:

"I currently have 17,000 openings variants in my personal database. It's a pity
it can vanish!"

But he does not mention these can be published!!!

I am positive he made this move only to raise big money for the match.

Vlad
Old March 15th 05, 02:30 AM
Few Good Chessmen

Vladyslav Kosulin wrote:

[...]

Agree but to the unwary contestants don't be surprise if he has copies of
them (he's not that stupid let alone his trainers).

Old March 15th 05, 08:08 AM
Jerzy

wrote in message
oups.com...
It`s good that [Kasparov] doesn`t want to stop writing his superb

books. Anyway he
is much better at chess than e.g. Kramnik who plays drawish chess and

writes
almost nth ;-)

I don't think Kasparov is much better *at* tournament chess than
Kramnik (they are close in strength), but he certainly has been better
*for* chess.

He has been much better than any other player including Kramnik not only at
tournament chess for two decades. Of course he had a period of a relatively
weaker play after his loss to Kramnik in London, however his latest
performance in Russian Championship and in Linares indicate that he has been
on his way back to the top. And on the other hand Kramnik`s performance is
declining.

Why is there no book on Topalov's games? His career is still young (I
hope), but there is already enough material for a good games
collection.

Yes definitely Topalov deserves such a book. Maybe he will write one day
about himself ? ;-)