Old March 17th 05, 05:35 PM
George John

Default Crossville Move April Chess Life Article

FYI, the April issue of "Chess Life" has an article about the move to
Crossville.

http://www.uschess.org/crossvillemove.pdf

Best regards,

George John

Old March 17th 05, 07:18 PM
Tom Klem

A lovely building suited for perhaps 25 full timers?

The MIS director's office needs an emergency exit. Good rule of thumb, two
egress points per space.

The executive director needs a bathroom.

Otherwise, looks very nice.

--
Tom Klem

"Fascinating!"
---Mr Spock
oups.com...

Old March 17th 05, 07:41 PM
Bill Smythe

"Tom Klem" wrote:
.... The MIS director's office needs an emergency exit. ....

An MIS director always needs a second exit, and not just for fire
emergencies. He needs to get away from all the employees complaining that
their computers have crashed!

Bill Smythe

Old March 17th 05, 08:09 PM
George John

Tom Klem wrote:

Tom,

A lovely building suited for perhaps 25 full timers?

I remember seeing a prior post (from David?) that 200 sq-ft/employee is
good, so 25 in a 5000 sq-ft space sounds right.

[SNIP]

I have been playing with
http://www.buildingjournal.com/comme...estimating.asp

It estimates a 5000 sq-ft, 1-3 story office space in Knoxville, TN to
cost as follows (I rounded to the nearest thousand):

$319,000 Low
$373,000 Median
$494,000 High

I don't know how construction costs in Crossville will compare to those
in Knoxville, or how good this calculator is. Perhaps someone familiar
with construction costs will comment.

Best regards,

George John

Old March 17th 05, 09:20 PM
Tom Klem

As MIS Director for two major corporations, I can tell you this: when the
computers crash, the employees don't blame MickeySoft. They blame you, and
say their computers suk.

Anybody care to explain GP Fault? Could be alot of things, but a crashed
computer was the result back in the day. Nowadays, the things crash without
the blue screen of death.

Keeps MickeySoft's reputation intact. I still wouldn't want to go to war
with Windoze on my computer. Would you?

Fact is: we do.

--

Tom Klem

"Those words were spoken by me."
---James Tiberius Kirk, ST VI The Undiscovered Country

Old March 17th 05, 09:23 PM
Tom Klem

I added up desk spaces and came up with 25. Depending on salary and status,
a good rule of thumb goes from 64 square feet (8' x 8' cubie) up to 500 sqft
for Steve Wynn

And, don't forget the bathroom for the ED. It's always great to be able to
spritz your makeup before the attendees walk in on you, and you _don't_ want
to meet them in the foyer on your way to fix your nose.

--
Tom Klem

"What's that humming?"
---Susan, "What Planet are you from?"

"George John" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom,

Old March 17th 05, 10:55 PM
Voice of Insanity

Why do we need 25 employees?

Old March 18th 05, 02:19 AM
StanB

"Tom Klem" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

And, don't forget the bathroom for the ED. It's always great to be able to
spritz your makeup before the attendees walk in on you, and you _don't_
want
to meet them in the foyer on your way to fix your nose.

Nor do you want them to see you heading to the can with a newspaper tucked
under your arm.

Old March 18th 05, 05:29 AM

We still do not have the detailed cost estimates for the move to
Cross-to-Bear.

We still have not been told whether Harry Sabine is a friend of
the $60,000 architect, Phil Elmore, in Cross-to-Bear. Did Mr. Sabine
offer legal advice on a contract for a friend? Did he know of the
overcharge and keep his trap shut at the expense of the Federation?
Why did yours truly, this dirt farmer, according to Randy Bauer, have
to break the story about the overcharge which is now being, we are
told, renegotiated or has been renegotiated. (The Board majority
contradicts itself here.)

Another interesting development in lieu of answering the
questions of members: George John, a member of a slate backing the
current Board majority, is suddenly offering us an estimate of what a
building with five thousand square feet ought to cost in ...Knoxville,
Tennessee.

Another typical ploy. The battles always begin with denial,
then personal attacks on those asking questions, then reluctant
admissions, then silence, then a representative of the office (Grant
Perks) trying to take up the slack, and now a political candidate
offering us nformation NOT about the proposed USCF structure in
Tennessee (oh no, not that!) but his understanding of what a building
OUGHT to cost in ... Knoxville.

TRANSLATION: Fohgeddaboud the approx. 12,000 square foot
building in New Windsor that we sold for $515,000 and be thankful that
in "low-expense" Tennessee you can get a replacement of 4,000 square
feet (the current plan, as I understand it) for about $500,000
according to Mr. John's numbers, which vary from those of Board
members. But never mind: Members don't need to know about these
things because we have someone telling us what a building less than
half the size of the New Windsor facility may or may not cost in ...
Knoxville.

Randy Bauer has quit the fray after publicly charging
fellow board member Frank Brady with irresponsible behavior by posting
a long essay on his thoughts about the move to Cross-to-Bear and other
questios. Mr. Bauer has yet to point out falsehoods in Mr. Brady's
essay, though he was sure quick enough to make the charge!

But Mr. Bauer is an honest, up-front guy. We all know that by
now.

A few days back, Mr. Bauer defended his failure to include
legal fees in his personal estimate of the cost to Cross-to-Bear
because those legal fees would have been much greater had the
Federation not made the move. I then adduced a message he wrote last
October in which he have us his Honest Injun assurances there was no
legal coercion involved in making the move to Cross-to-Bear and that,
indeed, the Board had not discussed for "weeks" a major legal letter
sent by a Tennessee attorney. Another Board member told us the
Cross-to-Bear downhome folk had said that even were the Federation not
to make the move, there would be no legal action.

The toughest thing in the world to do when one is telling lies
to support a given party line is to keep your story straight over a
matter of months. Mr. Bauer was not up to the intellectual mark.

But Mr. Bauer is an honest, up-front guy. He himself will tell
you that. Over and over. But he has taken a rest just now. He no
longer wants to deal with dirt farmers who have moles that leak
information on multi-thousand dollar ripoffs of the Federation or dirt
farmers who compare his past messages with what he writes today. But
he is an honest, up-front guy.

He himself will tell you that. But Mr. Bauer has taken a rest just
now.

Old March 18th 05, 06:42 AM
Mike Murray

On 17 Mar 2005 21:29:25 -0800, "
wrote:

But Mr. Bauer is an honest, up-front guy. He himself will tell
you that. Over and over. But he has taken a rest just now. He no
longer wants to deal with dirt farmers who have moles that leak
information on multi-thousand dollar ripoffs of the Federation or dirt
farmers who compare his past messages with what he writes today.

Oh, the poor old dirt farmer, how bad he does feel
He upset his tractor, got caught in the wheel
And now his head is the shape of the tread
And he still isn't dead

Oh, the poor old dirt farmer is dry as a bone
And all he's got growing is a forty pound stone
And when it gets round, he'll roll it on down
To the tax man in town

-- Tracy Schwartz

The question: is that town Crossville ?