Old March 20th 05, 04:49 PM
David Ames

Default After posting to Usenet earlier today

Tom,

Before service today, I looked in the minister's office and found in
The Interpreter's Bible that "within" is the usual meaning of the Greek
word in Luke 17:21. That suffices for my purpose. That source also
mentions that in the original spoken Aramaic, the verb "to be" would
have been omitted, so it is possible to question whether present tense
was meant.

The minister also told me that the words you mention as being appended
to The Lord's Prayer constitute a doxology. I responded differently to
you because nearly forty years ago, a young man feeling a call to the
Catholic priesthood used some different word than "doxology." I no
longer remember the word he did use.

David

Old March 20th 05, 11:27 PM
Tom Kle1n

Hello David,

From your other 'before' post, you had mentioned that the application of a
scripture from Revelation on the rest of the Holy Writ was beyond your
purview to comment. I assumed from that a disapproving thought on your part
and would only comment to say the following, "16 All Scripture is inspired
of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things
straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be
fully competent, completely equipped for every good work" (2Ti 3:16, 17). I
think it would be a difficult position to take saying that one book or
another as encompassed in Canon contradicts anything found elsewhere in that
same holy canon. Therefore it is reasonable to state (and every Bible
scholar I have ever heard on this point does), that the inviction found in
Re 22:18,19 applies to the entire canon.

Your second point is based upon another modern day missunderstanding of the
English word "you" (Gr. hy·mon'). The idea that you, in this case is
singular, is false as the greek word used is clearly plural. Afterall, this
is reasonable to accept, as Jesus was addressing the Pharisees. Not the
Pharisee. The theory that the kingdom of God is an inner state of mind, or
of personal salvation, runs counter to the context of this verse, and also
to the whole New Testament presentation of the idea." (Edited by G. A.
Buttrick, 1962, Vol. 2, p. 883) Since "kingdom [ba·si·leiŽa]" can refer to
the "royal dignity," it is evident that Jesus meant that he, God's royal
representative, the one anointed by God for the kingship, was in their
midst. Not only was he present in this capacity but he also had authority to
perform works manifesting God's kingly power and to prepare candidates for
positions within his coming Kingdom rule. Hence the 'nearness' of the
Kingdom; it was a time of tremendous opportunity.

Another ancilliary point: the greek word en·tos (s1787) has as its root en
(s1722), which as defined in Strong's Concordance, "about, after, against,
+almost, x altogether, among, as, at, before, between, (here-), by, (+all
means), for, (... sake of), +give, self, wholly to, in, (-to -wardly),
mightily (because) of (up-) on, [open-] ly, outwardly one, quickly,
shortly [speedi-]ly,
that, there (-in, -on), through (-out), (un-)to (-ward), under, when,
where (-with), while, with (-in). Often used in compounds with substantially
the same import; rarely with verbs of motion and then not to indicate
direction (except elliptically) by a separate (and different) prep.

Cordially,
Tom Klem

ps.com...