Old March 21st 05, 04:49 PM
Hans Jørgen Lassen

Default Is Fischer now a citizen of Iceland?

News are sparse. Does anyone know if Fischer is now a citizen of Iceland?
HansJ

Old March 21st 05, 05:09 PM
The Masked Bishop

God, you are obsessed with this man. Take a step back and do a Google search
on how many times YOU have posted about Bobby Fischer.

Then ask yourself if this is really how you should be spending all your free
time.

TMB

k...

Old March 21st 05, 06:36 PM
Hans Jørgen Lassen

"The Masked Bishop" wrote:

God, you are obsessed with this man. Take a step back and do a Google
search
on how many times YOU have posted about Bobby Fischer.

Then ask yourself if this is really how you should be spending all your
free
time.

Thank you for you kind advice.
HansJ

Old March 21st 05, 06:46 PM
The Masked Bishop

Anytime. You pretty much have painted yourself as a Fischer shill, and
unless you want to lumped in with people like Goran Tomic (you don't,
really), you might find some other chess topics to post about.

Old March 21st 05, 06:56 PM

Hans J=F8rgen Lassen wrote:
News are sparse. Does anyone know if Fischer is now a citizen of

Iceland?
HansJ

The Icelandic parliament, Al=FEingi, approved Fishcer=B4s application for
citizenship at 17:00 GMT this afternoon (21st march 2005)

Old March 21st 05, 07:30 PM
Tyrone Slothrop

Hans J=F8rgen Lassen wrote:
News are sparse. Does anyone know if Fischer is now a citizen of

Iceland?
HansJ

Yes, he is. Here is a report from AP:

Iceland offer for fugitive Fischer
Monday, March 21, 2005 Posted: 1:21 PM EST (1821 GMT)

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP) -- Iceland's parliament has voted to grant
citizenship to fugitive U.S. chess star Bobby Fischer.

The legislation, passed Monday with 40 lawmakers voting "aye" and two
abstaining following a brief debate, became law immediately.

"I am very pleased with this, and I think that the dignity of the
parliament has increased," Fischer's supporter Saemundur Palsson said,
adding that Fischer would be informed Tuesday morning Japanese time.

"I hope that he will stop cursing the Americans now. It has gotten him
into so much trouble," Palsson told reporters.

Einar S. Einarsson, another of Fischer's key supporters, said he had
spoken to the mercurial chess genius earlier in the day.

Fischer hoped the process would be quick, and "I don't think it could
have been much quicker," Einarsson said. The bill went through the
required three readings in 12 minutes.

Fischer, 62, has been detained in Japan awaiting deportation to the
United States, where he is wanted for violating economic sanctions
against the former Yugoslavia by playing a highly publicized chess
match there in 1992.

There is widespread support for Fischer in Iceland, where he played the
Soviet Union's Boris Spassky in a world championship match in 1972.

Iceland's parliament voted last month against granting Fischer
citizenship, offering him a special foreigners' passport and residence
permit instead. But Japanese officials declined to release him.

Since being taken into custody in July for allegedly trying to leave
Japan on a revoked U.S. passport, Fischer has repeatedly denounced the
U=2ES. deportation order as politically motivated, demanded refugee
status, renounced his U.S. citizenship and said he wants to become a
German national instead.

He has also applied to marry a Japanese woman who heads Iceland's chess
association and is his longtime companion.

Old March 21st 05, 07:35 PM
Paul Rubin

"Tyrone Slothrop" writes:
He has also applied to marry a Japanese woman who heads Iceland's chess
association and is his longtime companion.

Ms. Watai heads Iceland's chess association? I think they meant Japan's.
Old March 21st 05, 07:53 PM
Jane Adams

CNN is reporting today (I just saw it), that Mr Fischer is indeed a citizen
of Iceland. Japan declines to release him.

--
Jane
http://users.lvcm.com/jadams

Old March 21st 05, 08:04 PM
Liam Too

Hans J=F8rgen Lassen wrote:
News are sparse. Does anyone know if Fischer is now a citizen of
Iceland?
HansJ

Yes, here's from CNN:

[...]

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...dex.html?sect=
ion=3Dcnn_latest

Old March 22nd 05, 02:53 AM
Nick

The Masked Bishop wrote (to Hans Jorgen Lassen):
Anytime. You pretty much have painted yourself as
a Fischer shill, and unless you want to lumped in
with people like Goran Tomic (you don't, really),
you might find some other chess topics to post about.

I can recall reading some posts by Hans Jorgen Lassen
that had nothing about Bobby Fischer.

--Nick