Old March 25th 05, 09:41 PM
The Masked Bishop

Default Fischer's press conference -- Iceland must be so proud

Bobby's back in style, now standing on Icelandic soil, flanked by his new
hosts who are still flush with the emotion of flash celebrity that comes to
people who don't often get recognized for anything.

And what does he have to say? Oh, the usual: the USA is evil, chess sucks,
and the Jews are out to get him. Standard boiler-plate Fischer, the usual
paranoid rantings of someone with clear mental problems.

Had any of you friends or loved ones who acted like this, you'd get them
help. But Fischer doesn't get help--he gets a citizenship, from the good
taxpayers of Iceland, who now have made the world news for the first time
since...1972?

They must be so proud.

Old March 25th 05, 09:47 PM
Paul Rubin

"The Masked Bishop" writes:
Had any of you friends or loved ones who acted like this, you'd get them
help.

How would you do that, if they didn't want the type of help you had
in mind for them? The best you could probably do, if that person was
stuck in some oppressive and hostile environment (such as being locked
up at Narita Airport for 9 months), would be try to get them away to
someplace more supportive.

But Fischer doesn't get help--he gets a citizenship,

As we've seen, getting the citizenship was of tremendous help in
getting Fischer out of captivity.
Old March 25th 05, 10:02 PM
Ray Gordon

And what does he have to say? Oh, the usual: the USA is evil, chess sucks,
and the Jews are out to get him. Standard boiler-plate Fischer, the usual
paranoid rantings of someone with clear mental problems.

And a game 1,000 times stronger than his critics could ever hope to achieve.

Had any of you friends or loved ones who acted like this, you'd get them
help. But Fischer doesn't get help--he gets a citizenship, from the good
taxpayers of Iceland, who now have made the world news for the first time
since...1972?

Fischer's views may be extreme, but no more extreme than say those of Steve
Carlton, still much loved in Philadelphia despite their disagreement with
him.

Real chess fans are into chess, not amateur psychology.

They must be so proud.

I bet they are. They are mature enough to tolerate someone they disagree
with vehemently.

They also seem to have a much better memory of 1972 than the Republican
party here, which sucked his dick for a month in public to beg him to play
the match.

Do you really think that 100 years from now anyone is really going to care
about what Fischer said? Look back at the first champions and they were
equally colorful.
--
Ray Gordon, Author
http://www.cybersheet.com/easy.html

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library. Four free books to get you started on your quest to
get laid.

Don't buy anything from experts who won't debate on a free speech forum.

Old March 25th 05, 10:44 PM

NOW IT CAN BE TOLD

Do you really think that 100 years from now anyone is really going to
care about what Fischer said? Look back at the first champions and
they were equally colorful. Ray Gordon

True. As long as chess is played, Fischer's masterpieces will
remain immortal. "Pay attention to Fischer's games, not his opinions,"
wrote GM Evans in Chess Life, March 2005.

Working quietly behind the scenes Boris Spassky, Larry Evans, Don
Schultz and other noted chessers helped persuade Iceland to grant
Fischer asylum. Every little bit helped.

As I noted earlier, "Bobby deserves his freedom not because he's a
decent human being but because he's not a criminal. In that sense,
his fight is our fight. But only in that sense."

Old March 25th 05, 10:52 PM
R.P. Warren

Ray Gordon wrote:
Do you really think that 100 years from now anyone is really going to

care
about what Fischer said? Look back at the first champions and they

were
equally colorful.

Mr. Gordon has an odd definition of 'colorful', and shows great
ignorance of chess history. No world champion has ever come close to
Fischer for utter offensiveness. Even Alekhine's 'Jewish and Aryan
Chess' articles are mild by comparison with what Fischer has said.

It's been nearly 60 years since Alekhine died, and his articles are
still very well remembered. I doubt that Fischer's much more
inflammatory statements will be forgotten a century from now.

Old March 26th 05, 12:34 AM
Ken Albin

Ray Gordon wrote:
And a game 1,000 times stronger than his critics could ever hope to

achieve.

I don't recall Bobby playing ANY games in the past 13 years.

Ken Albin

Old March 26th 05, 07:55 AM
Adrian MacNair

"The Masked Bishop" wrote in message
om...
Had any of you friends or loved ones who acted like this, you'd get them
help. But Fischer doesn't get help--he gets a citizenship, from the good
taxpayers of Iceland, who now have made the world news for the first time
since...1972?

No, their ideas for geothermal power are well documented in the media.
Unfortunately they don't seem to realize that the rest of us don't have
volcanic hot springs under our houses.

Old March 26th 05, 10:16 AM
[email protected]

Adrian MacNair wrote:
"The Masked Bishop" wrote in message
om...
Had any of you friends or loved ones who acted like this, you'd get

them
help. But Fischer doesn't get help--he gets a citizenship, from the

good
taxpayers of Iceland, who now have made the world news for the

first time
since...1972?

No, their ideas for geothermal power are well documented in the

media.
Unfortunately they don't seem to realize that the rest of us don't

have
volcanic hot springs under our houses.

Neither do we, no one in Iceland has hot springs under our houses, most
of the water used for heating comes from sources 20 - 100 kms away.

Old March 26th 05, 03:30 PM
[email protected]

Working quietly behind the scenes Boris Spassky, Larry Evans, Don
Schultz and other noted chessers helped persuade Iceland to grant
Fischer asylum. Every little bit helped. Larry Parr

Shame on them all. Particularly Schultz, the USCF doesn't need leaders
who aid and abet criminals. Anonymouse

As I noted earlier, "Bobby deserves his freedom not because he's a

decent human being but because he's not a criminal. In that sense, his
fight is our fight. But only in that sense." Larry Parr

Yes, actually he is. -- Anonymouse

Really. What was Bobby Fischer convicted of?

Contrary to Doom & Gloom Dave, I think it's laudable that people
who Bobby trashed on his website nevertheless worked for his release as
a matter of principle.