Old March 25th 05, 09:57 PM
Ray Gordon

Default Fischer says he's "still the best" at "old chess"

I'm inclined to believe him.

FIDE should invite him to the next title KO tournament, or maybe have a
round-robin for the top 10-15 players in the world.

Maybe Kasparov could have beaten him, but any other player? I don't know.

--
Ray Gordon, Author
http://www.cybersheet.com/easy.html

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library. Four free books to get you started on your quest to
get laid.

Don't buy anything from experts who won't debate on a free speech forum.

Old March 25th 05, 11:06 PM
Morphy's ghost

In the year of our Lord Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:57:25 GMT, "Ray Gordon"
wrote:

I'm inclined to believe him.

FIDE should invite him to the next title KO tournament, or maybe have a
round-robin for the top 10-15 players in the world.

He also said that he was finished with chess.

"Declaring himself "finished" with chess, Fischer said he planned to
concentrate on perfecting his concept of random chess, in which pieces
are shuffled at the beginning of each match in a bid to reinvigorate
the game.

"I don't play the old chess," he said. "But obviously if I did, I
would be the best."

Maybe Kasparov could have beaten him, but any other player? I don't know.

--

I find it difficult to believe, were Fischer to return to competitive
chess, that he could return to the level of play that he acheived 30

What is now proved was once, only imagin'd. -- William Blake
Old March 26th 05, 03:01 AM
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod)

His whistle is stronger than his engine.

Wlod

Old March 27th 05, 04:05 PM
99% Kosher

You're 100% correct!

Old March 31st 05, 03:45 PM
Rob

wrote:

I'm inclined to believe him.

FIDE should invite him to the next title KO tournament, or maybe

have a
round-robin for the top 10-15 players in the world.

He also said that he was finished with chess.

"Declaring himself "finished" with chess, Fischer said he planned to
concentrate on perfecting his concept of random chess, in which

pieces
are shuffled at the beginning of each match in a bid to reinvigorate
the game.

"I don't play the old chess," he said. "But obviously if I did, I
would be the best."

They have medications for these types of delusional thoughts. LOL IF he
really believed that he would prove it. He has not even bothered to
participate in FRC tournaments.

Old March 31st 05, 04:11 PM
Ray Gordon

"I don't play the old chess," he said. "But obviously if I did, I
would be the best."

They have medications for these types of delusional thoughts.

Too bad they don't have them for jealousy for those who envy Fischer's
stellar play.

LOL IF he
really believed that he would prove it. He has not even bothered to
participate in FRC tournaments.

He proved all he needed to prove in 1972.

I'd personally love to see him do it again, and don't doubt that he could,
but at his age, why would he bother?

Old March 31st 05, 04:49 PM
John A Swartz

"I don't play the old chess," he said. "But obviously if I did, I
would be the best."

They have medications for these types of delusional thoughts. LOL IF he
really believed that he would prove it. He has not even bothered to
participate in FRC tournaments.

Also, when Fischer played in 1992, despite his claims it being for the
"World Championship", opinion among GMs seem to be that the quality of
the games was not on par with the top players of the day. Yes, there
were some very good games, but there were also some rather bad ones as
well. Note - that is per the opinions of Grandmasters (who are much
more qualified to comment on the quality of Fischer's play than myself,
or for that matter, most of the people on these newsgroups).

So, if Fischer feels he would be the best if he still played the old
chess, why was he not the best in 1992, when he still played?

John
Old March 31st 05, 04:51 PM
99% Kosher

Because he's not. Fischer is now just an average GM with a big mouth.

Old April 1st 05, 12:21 AM
Ray Gordon

"I don't play the old chess," he said. "But obviously if I did, I
would be the best."

They have medications for these types of delusional thoughts. LOL IF he
really believed that he would prove it. He has not even bothered to
participate in FRC tournaments.

Also, when Fischer played in 1992, despite his claims it being for the
"World Championship", opinion among GMs seem to be that the quality of the
games was not on par with the top players of the day.

He dusted Spassky. We don't know how strong he'd have played if he had to.

I know that a year ago, I played for the first time in 13 years, and was
about 1300 on ICC. That went up to 1800 within a year. Now I'm about 2050
on Playchess at my peak (about 1850 ICC).

Yes, there were some very good games, but there were also some rather bad
ones as well. Note - that is per the opinions of Grandmasters (who are
much more qualified to comment on the quality of Fischer's play than
myself, or for that matter, most of the people on these newsgroups).

Fischer was not tested. He did what he got paid to do: win. Spassky got
paid for the same reason the Washington Generals got paid.

So, if Fischer feels he would be the best if he still played the old
chess, why was he not the best in 1992, when he still played?

He won his only match. We don't know how good he could have been had he
needed to be.

Those same GMs from 1992 were also telling people in 1981 that Fischer was
light years ahead of everyone, including Karpov and Korchnoi.

Fischer getting weaker would be like you or me forgetting the first five
moves of the Sicilian. I don't see how unless he has severe brain damage,
and even then...

If he's "mentally ill" that doesn't mean ****, because he can process
information just fine. In fact, Fischer's chessplaying could easily be
construed as evidence of his sanity, since faulty thought processes on the
chessboard result in checkmate.

At g/30 or slower, I don't think anyone, even Kasparov, could touch him. At
40/2 it would be a fight against Kasparov or maybe Kramnik, but that's about
it.