Old April 22nd 05, 03:44 AM
ariadne

Default Scott Zarek

Scott, an avid chess aficionado and previously a frequent poster to
this newsgroup, took his own life a few weeks ago.

I am completely heartbroken over his loss, but he wanted me to pass
this information on to you.

ariadne

Old April 22nd 05, 06:06 AM

On 21 Apr 2005 18:44:53 -0700, "ariadne" wrote:

Scott, an avid chess aficionado and previously a frequent poster to
this newsgroup, took his own life a few weeks ago.

I am completely heartbroken over his loss, but he wanted me to pass
this information on to you.

ariadne

It seems that he was a USCF Member. See:

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?12588879

However, I do not believe that he has ever posted here. If he posted
under a pseudonym, could you please tell us what it was?

Old April 22nd 05, 07:35 AM
ariadne

He simply posted as "Scott" (his email address was
). One of the threads I particularly enjoyed was
the one about Data versus Borg (in terms of who would win in a chess
match).

http://www.townonline.com/wayland/ob...ticleid=223846

I loved him, and he will be strongly missed by many.

Old April 22nd 05, 08:41 PM
Jon Haskel

"ariadne" wrote in message
ups.com...
Scott, an avid chess aficionado and previously a frequent poster to
this newsgroup, took his own life a few weeks ago.

I am completely heartbroken over his loss, but he wanted me to pass
this information on to you.

ariadne

I'm sorry to hear the news. He was a very nice fellow and it is hard to
imagine he would have done something like this. He had played at my club
the last half of 2004. I'll pass this news onto the other players.

Jon Haskel

Old April 22nd 05, 11:22 PM
ariadne

Thank you so much Jon.

Yes, he was an incredible guy, and I know how much he loved playing at
the club there. He had been having some emotional problems for several
years but gradually overcoming them, especially after moving to
Florida. I found out just yesterday however that I was the last person
to speak with him, and it destresses me greatly to not have known his
final intentions.

If you would like to email me for further information, please do so.
Due to the nature of the events surrounding his death, I am hesitant to
disclose them here.

Sincere regards,
ariadne

Jon Haskel wrote: