Old May 12th 05, 01:33 PM

Default USCF Elections

From reading a scattering of posts on this newsgroup I have come to the
conclusion that those running for election to the USCF are a bunch of
whining backstabbing ingrates who would rather spend time slandering
each other over electronic media than promoting chess. Has anyone else
concluded likewise or do they have more positive aspects?

Old May 12th 05, 03:24 PM
Junior Member

Location: Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by
From reading a scattering of posts on this newsgroup I have come to the
conclusion that those running for election to the USCF are a bunch of
whining backstabbing ingrates who would rather spend time slandering
each other over electronic media than promoting chess. Has anyone else
concluded likewise or do they have more positive aspects?
I have a similar message posted in one of the threads. I do think however that there are exceptions. Some of the candidates have been far more adult in their posts and this has scored points with me. Take a look at the the various candidates' websites and you will see some differences. Mr. John's website is one that you may find refreshing compared to some of the ranting and raving that has gone on.

Also, take a good look at how each of these people phrasing their posts. I have seen some back and forth posts that as a whole would leave a bad impression on both people. But when I look for a second time, I realized the in some instances, one of the posters is really just getting carried away by the others childish behavior. I know that I have fallen prey to the before and I think that anyone can. So I would be careful in judging everyone because the exchanges as a whole have been pretty silly.
Old May 12th 05, 03:53 PM
Larry Tapper

Sam Sloan wrote:
However, you have overlooked some efforts. For example, in a move to
increase the circulation of Chess Life magazine, Beatriz Marinello

has
approved the publication of pornographic literature in the pages of
Chess Life.

Sam Sloan

I'm not the first to point out the irony of the situation: an outspoken
libertine and veteran of the 1960s Berkeley free speech movement now
chooses to adopt the hyperbolic holier-than-thou rhetoric of your
typical televangelist windbag.

This post really takes the cake, though. Sam does not even know whether
Beatriz actually read the article before its publication in Chess Life.
But this does not stop him from not only insisting that Beatriz was
responsible, but also speculating without an iota of supporting
evidence that she positively approved of the article as a desperate
measure to boost circulation.

It seems to me that the quality of Sam's scandalmongering --- which was
never that high to begin with --- has deteriorated sharply recently.
I'm inclined to attribute this to an attack of acute separation
anxiety: Sam finds it unbearable to imagine a USCF continuing to
operate far away from Brooklyn and Sam Sloan.

In view of the appalling spectacle we've been subjected to on the
newsgroups lately, my current plan for the upcoming EB elections is to
make sure that I vote for the maximum number of candidates who can fog
up a mirror and who are not Sam Sloan. And I would urge other USCF
members to do likewise. The USCF has enough problems already without
taking on an EB member who apparently has a pathological need to be the
feature act in a three-ring circus.

Larry T.

Old May 12th 05, 04:21 PM
John A Swartz

Sam Sloan wrote:

On 12 May 2005 05:33:32 -0700, wrote:

From reading a scattering of posts on this newsgroup I have come to the

conclusion that those running for election to the USCF are a bunch of
whining backstabbing ingrates who would rather spend time slandering
each other over electronic media than promoting chess. Has anyone else
concluded likewise or do they have more positive aspects?

No. You have made a correct and fair assessment.

However, you have overlooked some efforts. For example, in a move to
increase the circulation of Chess Life magazine, Beatriz Marinello has
approved the publication of pornographic literature in the pages of
Chess Life.

Sam Sloan

While I must confess that I found the material in the article to which
Sam refers objectionable (although given the nature of the material that
he publishes on his website for all to see, it is quite ironic that he
would voice his concern on this topic), I find it more objectionable
that he would imply that the USCF president has approved pornography in
Chess Life for means of increasing circulation.

First of all, there is no pornography - yes, there are brief mentions in
one article regarding sexual activity. I think they were mostly
irrelevant to the article, and, as others have posted, not appropriate
for publication in a magazine distributed to children. But to say that
this constitutes pornography is the equivalent of saying that by
metioning that Bobby Fischer has anti-Semitic vies, Chess Life has
published anti-Semitic literature.

Second of all, it is not the function of the USCF president to oversee
the publication of every word in Chess Life - that is the function of
the Editor. Randy Bauer has mentioned that this issue will be discussed
at the next board meeting, and that the editor should exercise greater
care. This is appropriate. I would also suggest that a statement of
apology might be warranted in the next issue. Should the editor be
fired? My belief is no, but I think the issue can not pass by without a
response from the USCF.

Thirdly, there is no evidence to suggest that this material was in Chess
Life to increase circulation. If that really was the goal, wouldn't
the USCF do more to call attention to it? There is nothing on the
cover, or published on the USCF website, to indicate this. The
implication is simply ludicrous.

Finally, the above statement was made without Sam having even read the
article.

To quote others, "Sheesh"

John

Old May 12th 05, 04:40 PM
Randy Bauer

In article , John A Swartz says...

Sam Sloan wrote:

On 12 May 2005 05:33:32 -0700, wrote:

From reading a scattering of posts on this newsgroup I have come to the
[...]

It is the editor's job to decide how to answer the complaints about Taylor's
article. My sense is that he will do so in the next issue of Chess Life.

I absolutely agree with John that you have to let the editor do his job.
Sometimes people err in their judgement, and in those instances the Executive
Board should provide constructive feedback. The editor reports directly to the
Board, and I am confident that we will discuss this issue and provide that
feedback when the Executive Board meets next week. I also do not believe that
this issue alone would warrant dismissal.

Thirdly, there is no evidence to suggest that this material was in Chess
Life to increase circulation. If that really was the goal, wouldn't
the USCF do more to call attention to it? There is nothing on the
cover, or published on the USCF website, to indicate this. The
implication is simply ludicrous.

Finally, the above statement was made without Sam having even read the
article.

To quote others, "Sheesh"

John

I second that emotion.

Randy Bauer

Old May 12th 05, 06:40 PM
BarbaraVilliers

From reading a scattering of posts on this newsgroup I have come to

the
conclusion that those running for election to the USCF are a bunch of
whining backstabbing ingrates who would rather spend time slandering
each other over electronic media than promoting chess. Has anyone

else
concluded likewise or do they have more positive aspects?

hmmm I think you speak for all chess organisations not just the USCF.
The BCF is appalling and a few British Leagues and associations don't
stand close scrutiny. Whining and backstabbing is a characteristic of
chess organisers and humans in general I think.
BarbaraVilliers

Old May 12th 05, 08:56 PM
Botched Surgery Victim

"Larry Tapper" . Sam does not even know whether Beatriz actually read the
article before its publication in Chess Life.

Dear Invertebrate,

Marinello is the CEO, COO, President, and whatever other title she wants to
add to her resume, since the spineless Board is terrified of opposing
anything that she does.

Since there is no Editor of Chess Life, and she is the de facto Editor of
Chess Life by her own acclamation (add more per diem expenses); she is
responsible for the content.

Is it a magical coincidence that a hard-core Lesbian publishes an article
that discusses Lesbianism in the first issue of Chess Life that she is in
full control of publishing?

Do you think that is the only influence that she exerts on the USCF? Why do
you folks continue to glorify Marinello. She is not the second coming of
Jesus.

Old May 12th 05, 08:59 PM
Botched Surgery Victim

"John A Swartz" it is not the function of the USCF president to oversee the
publication of every word in Chess Life - that is the function of the
Editor.

Because the Editor is MIA due to illness, Marinello is the Editor now. She
is also the only one still working out of New York, as her Per Diem fees
reflect that sacrifice on her part. So if anybody had any control over the
current issue of Chess Life, it was Marinello.

BTW, RAndy Bauer is gutless, and his idea of "discussing" the matter means
that he will mention Chess Life and congratulate Marinello on a job well
done.