Old May 13th 05, 07:59 PM

Default Did Beatriz Marinello forge Peterson's Signature?

Did Beatriz Marinello forge Peterson's Signature?

Everyone here with long memories will remember the great controversy
of 1999. Richard Peterson alleged that someone at the USCF had forged
his signature to the contract to organize the 1999 National Elementary
Championship. Beatriz Marinello countered with an analysis by a
handwriting expert which she distributed at the 1999 US Open in Reno
showing that Richard Peterson had forged his own signature to the
contract. The case wound up in court.

Here is a copy of the handwriting analysis, which I just pulled out of
my storage bin. I seems convincing. Do you think that Richard Peterson
forged his own signature, or do you think that Beatriz Marinello
forged Peterson's signature to the contract?

AFL AFFILIATED
FORENSIC
LABORATORIES
INCORPORATED

William J. Flynn, B.S., D-ABFDE
Handwriting and Signature Examinations
Ink and Paper Analysis
Typewriter and Machine Made Document
Comparisons
Specializing in Medical Record Examinations

July 28, 1999

Mr. Jeffrey R Simmons
Attorney at Law
DeConcini McDonald
Yetain & Lacy, P.C.
2901 N. Central Avenue
Suite 1644
Phoenix, AZ 85012

U.S. Chess Federation v. Richard Peterson
Laboratory #99-6959.1

Dear Mr. Simmons:

Enclosed please find a laboratory report detailing the results
of my analysis in the above-cited matter and a billing for additional
forensic examination services. The documents submitted by your office
will be maintained in our files until arrangements can be made to
transfer custody of those items that you need returned.

Should you have any further questions concerning my conclusions in
this case, please feel free to contact me at the number listed below.
..

William J. Flynn
Questioned Documents Examiner

WJF:mc
Enclosures

3030 N. Central Avenue. Suite #501
Phoenix, AZ 85012-2713
(802) 241-1890 FAX; (602) 241-1832

Affiliated Forensic laboratory
Questioned Document Examinations
Laboratory Report

Laboratory Report #99-6959.1
July 28, 1999

QUESTIONED DOCUMENTS

Q-! Original agreement between Richard Peterson and the U.S. Chess
Federation dated {stamped) February 17, 1998. This document bears a
questioned "Richard Peterson" signature on the last page.

KNOWN DOCUMENTS

K-1 Fax copy of an Agreement "With Changes" between Richard
Peterson and the U. S. Chess Federation. This document bears a known
Peterson signature dated 1/30/98 on the last page.

K-2 Fax copy of a letter dated 9/15/7 to Beatrice Marinello
bearing a known Peterson signature.

K-3 Fax copy of a letter dated 11/1/97, to Beatrice Marinello
bearing a known Peterson signature.

K-4 Original National Scholastic Tournament Agreement bearing a
known signature (dated 1/20/99) of Peterson appearing on Page #6.

K-5 (a b) Original City of Phoenix Space Agreement No. 970983
bearing two known . signatures of Richard Peterson.

EXAMINATION REQUESTED

Determine authorship of the questioned "Richard Peterson" signature
appearing on Item Q-1.

RESULTS OF THE EXAMINATION

Examination and comparison of the questioned "Richard Peterson"
signature appearing on Items K (1-5) and Item Q-1 have resulted in the
following conclusions and observations:

1. Richard Peterson utilizes two types of signatures; a formal
(readable) signature and a very rapid highly ornate, stylized
signature. The longer signature style appears on Items K-1 and K-3
while the stylized versions appears on Items K-4, K-5a and K-5b. The
signature on Item K-2 contains the longer form of "Richard" and the
abbreviated form of "Peterson."

2. The questioned signatures on Item Q-1 appears in the shortened
(stylized) form of Mr. Peterson's signature.

3. Because of the stylized signatures are so rapidly made and
contain so many changes in direction, it was necessary to utilize a
microscope in order to determine the stroke sequence.

4. The Q-I (questioned) Peterson signature is also rapidly made
with numerous direction changes. Although there is some natural
variation found in the questioned and known signatures (as would be
expected with such an ornate style) the basic stroke patterns are
present in the Q-1 signature and the K-4, K-5a and K-5b signatures.

5. Because of the speed with which the Q-1 signature is executed
and its conformity with the stroke sequences found in the genuine
signatures of Richard Peterson, it is the opinion of the undersigned
that the questioned and known signatures of Richard Peterson are all
of common authorship.

William J. Flynn
Questioned Documents Examiner

WJF:kan

Old May 13th 05, 10:22 PM
No Cheaters

Hey Stoopid,

Read the report, the expert said it was Peterson. Did Peterson have her
signature analyzed? Guess not.

Old May 14th 05, 04:50 PM
Bill Smythe

"Sam Sloan" wrote:
.... Do you think that Richard Peterson
forged his own signature .... ?

Sam, you have asked this question many times, and I still cannot figure out
what you mean by this, or how a person would forge his own signature, or
why.

Bill Smythe

Old May 15th 05, 09:15 AM
Jerzy

"Bill Smythe" wrote in message
"Sam Sloan" wrote:
.... Do you think that Richard Peterson
forged his own signature .... ?

Sam, you have asked this question many times, and I still cannot figure
out
what you mean by this, or how a person would forge his own signature, or
why.

The only case of forging one`s own signature I`ve encountered is when you
want to make invalid your own signature e.g. in a bank. You should sign all
documents according to the pattern in the bank.

Regards,

Jerzy

Old May 19th 05, 02:17 AM

Sam, you have asked this question many times, and I still cannot
figure out what you mean by this, or how a person would forge his own
signature, or why. Bill Smythe

Richard Petersen, I seem to recall,, then got his own handwriting
expert who testified to the contrary. You then had two experts who
disagreed. So, yes, there was some reason to doubt the experts -- as
there always is in nearly everything.

Old May 19th 05, 02:31 AM
Wick

Courts in some states have rejected any "expert" testimony of
handwriting examiners on the basis that handwriting analysis is not
sufficiently reliable.

Wick Deer