Old May 14th 05, 05:32 PM
Mark Houlsby

Default Should We Ever Boycott Anything for Any Reason?

Thus, I think that boycotts are a mistake and should never be
attempted.

Sam Sloan

It's lucky you're not a major statesman. It's not *surprising*, but
it's lucky.

If there had not been an effective international boycott of South
African goods and services, apartheid might well still be in place.

All subjunctive, of course.

Mark Houlsby

"He that knows little, often repeats it." Proverb

Old May 15th 05, 05:46 AM
Angelo DePalma

The S. African boycott hurt blacks more than it affected the apartheid
government. It was a feel-good move that gave Jesse Jackson et al a feeling
of worth. Apartheid was going down in S. Africa anyway.

oups.com...

Old May 15th 05, 11:52 AM
Mark Houlsby

The S. African boycott hurt blacks more than it affected the apartheid

government.

I don't recall my having suggested that it did not. Under apartheid,
blacks and coloureds were worse off all around.

It was a feel-good move that gave Jesse Jackson et al a feeling

of worth.

That was *part* of it, but it wasn't the whole story.

Apartheid was going down in S. Africa anyway.

That is as subjunctive as my earlier writing.