Old May 20th 05, 09:33 PM
Chess player

Default Suspicious lags/time cheating on FICS

Greetings all --

Could someone please explain to me why there seems to be so many blitz
players on FICS that have suspicious lags? I can't count the number of
times I've been playing someone who is about to lose on time and then
suddenly develops 30-60 second/moves lags. It's one thing to play someone
who has a 20-second lag (it happens) consistently throughout the game, but
suddenly having lots of extra time when you really need it is very
suspicious.

It's also surprising (though maybe it shouldn't be) that some of them will
then say "Oh, that's just network lag" when you confront them with it. I
guess once you're cheating, lying isn't a big deal either.

Other than +noplay, does anyone have any comments or suggestions on how to
deal with this issue?

Thanks,

Rafael

P.S. Please don't actually post HOW people do it -- that's the last thing
we need

Old May 21st 05, 05:06 PM
Mark Houlsby

does anyone have any comments or suggestions on how to
deal with this issue?

There are two methods. The first is simple, effective, and certainly
the least trouble.
The second may help you to improve your game, but could be
counterproductive, so it's necessary to keep a close watch upon the
effects which it is having.

1) Stop playing online

2) Assume that *all* your online opponents are (c)heaters *and*
laggers, but try to play a good game anyway, and see whether you
discern an *improvement* in your game *in spite of all of that*. If you
don't, consider 1) as an option.

In any event, don't set any store by online ratings. It's your
understanding/ability which matters, nothing else.

Cheers,
Mark

Old May 22nd 05, 05:37 PM
BarbaraVilliers

yes I have been suffering this problem on Fics
BarbaraVilliers

Old May 26th 05, 01:11 AM
Chess Freak

I play hundreds of games on FICS per day, and have not noticed
any sort of the lag cheating you speak of. Perhaps it is just
your end that is lagging. In any case, if I did see someone had
strange move timings (moves taking .100 sec all the time), I would
just noplay them.

I remember a while ago some hacks to timeseal that one could use
to cheat with time, but why bother?

- CF