Old May 24th 05, 01:48 AM

Default USCF Executive Board Meeting, Sunday 5/22

wrote:
USCF Executive Board Meeting, Sunday 5/22

Here is my report on the second open session of the Executive Board
Meeting, held 5/22 in Minneapolis from 3-5 PM.

The meeting opened with Marinello, Schultz, Bauer and Shaughnessy in
attendance. Steve Shutt arrived a few minutes later and Tim Hanke
joined by telephone a little after that. Once again, there were a lot
of numbers tossed around and, while I tried to copy them all down, I
may have made errors.

AWARDS

Winners of the various awards to be handed out at the U.S. Open were
announced. The usual suspects.

SCHOLASTIC COUNCIL

The results of an election for three open seats on the Council were
announced. Two of the top three finishers are also candidates for the
Executive Board; if either is elected he will be replaced on the
Council by the next highest finisher. The top five:
1. Robert Tanner
2. Mike Nietman
3. Steve Shutt
4. Mikhail Korenman
5. John Haskell

ANNOUNCEMENT

Beatriz Marinello announced that her stint as office COO will end on
May 31, 2005.

CONTRACTS MOTION

A subsitute motion for the one considered yesterday was read by Randy
Bauer. For contracts of over $10,000 written approval of the USCF
President must be obtained. Contracts of $30,000 or more will require
approval of the full Executive Board. This policy will be published in
every issue of Chess Life and on the USCF web site.
PASSED 3-0-1, with Shutt and Hanke absent and Marinello abstaining.

U.S. OPEN

The workshop schedule for the U.S. Open was approved. There were only
copies of this for the EB, so I don't know what was in it.

CROSSVILLE BUILDING

Elizabeth Shaughnessy reported. All of the architect's and engineer's
drawings are done. Shaughnessy explained how some people got the wrong
impression that a non-bidding contractor would be used, who is an
associate of the architect. It is a normal pre-bid procedure
to take the drawings to a single contractor, who will NOT be bidding on
the job, for a preliminary cost estimate. Adjustments can then be made
to the design if needed. Then the job is opened for 3-4 bids.

The pre-bid estimate was quite high, for an unexpected reason. The
building itself was not too costly but the plans for the surrounding
land turned out to be expensive because of solid rock discovered only a
few inches down, making digging difficult. Changes were made to the
plans to reduce cost in this area. Planned parking spaces were cut from
33 to 24 and a few other steps were taken. This resulted in a savings
of about $89,000 off the preliminary estimate.

The final pre-bid estimate after the changes is $561,000. Shaughnessy
reported that for a projest of this size, it is usual to allow for an
overage of 5%. Bids will now be solicited from 3-4 Tennessee
contractors. Ground breaking will be in August 2005 with the building
expected to be complete in March or April of 2006.

Steve Shutt proposed an EB motion, naming Elizabeth Shaughnessy the
official EB liaison to the architect, with full authority to move the
project forward.
This PASSED 5-0-1, Shaughnessy abstaining.

BANK LOANS

Beatriz Marinello met with four Tennessee banks, resulting in written
loan proposals from two of them. There were no copies of these
documents for spectators, so what follows is based only on my notes,
which may contain errors both of fact and of understanding.

One bank offered a loan for the full cost of construction, the other
set a cap of $500,000. The interest rate for either would be 5 or 5.5%,
I'm not sure which. As for a permanent loan or mortgage, both banks
were offering a fixed rate of 7.25% for 15 years. They also offered
some adjustable rate options, such as 3 years at 5.875% or 6%. There
was also an offer of 5 years at 6.25%.

One of the spectators was Joel Channing, who has extensive experience
with loan arrangements of this type. He was asked to look at the
documents and had some questions, such as whether there are any
pre-payment penalties. It was agreed by the EB that Channing and Randy
Bauer will call the banks together to clear up the uncertainties.

BUDGET

Some new facts emerged about this preliminary budget, which is due to
be finalized by June 21st. As currently designed, the budget has a
surplus of $630,000, not including any B+E revenue, which is being
taken off budget. This was so astonishing that I raised my hand and
asked if I had understood correctly. I had.

Other items of interest:

1. The architect's fee will be $40,000.
2. The Publications Dept. will remain in New Windsor until the new
building is ready. Estimated cost of that move is $10,000 but may be
less, as the USCF has earned a free moving load from the company which
handled the previous moving activity.
3. The renegotiation with Hanon Russell is continuing. No other details
are available for public release.

Eric Schiller then addressed the EB. He stated that he represented a
number of authors, including all of those handled by Cardoza
Publishing, plus John Watson, Danny Kopec, Arnold Denker, Raymond Keene
etc. They jointly charge that Hanon Russell has excluded their books
and other products from his inventory, for purely political reasons. He
stated that attempts to contact Russell directly about this had been
ignored. Schiller requested free advertising in Chess Life to help make
up for lost sales. He threatened to organize a boycott of USCF sales at
national tournaments if he didn't get satisfaction.

The EB had questions, such as:

1. What if Russell states that it isn't politics, the books just don't
meet his standards as potential good sellers? Schiller replied that he
can provide royalty records proving that the books in question are good
sellers. Elizabeth Shaughnessy noted that she could confirm that
Russell had not replied to a direct inquiry from Schiller.

2. Is there anything the EB can really do? Does it have the right to
force inventory on Russell? Elizabeth Shaughnessy read aloud the
applicable section of the agreement with Chess Cafe. I couldn't get it
all down but it was something like this: "Chess Cafe shall accept
input from USCF ... to provide satisfaction to USCF members." Exactly
just what this means is not clear. Joel Channing suggested that USCF
could use the renegotiation with Russell as leverage to get concessions
on this issue but Beatriz Marinello was reluctant to take such an
approach.

The EB agreed to investigate and appointed Steve Shutt to handle it.
Eric Schiller will submit a brief. No promises were made about Chess
Life ads.

That was the last item of substance. The EB adjourned shortly before 5
PM.

One more time, I remind you that this is not an official report and
thus may contain errors, both of fact and of interpretation.

-- Hal Terrie

Another disturbing report, especially the part that states: "The
pre-bid estimate was quite high, for an unexpected reason. The
building itself was not too costly but the plans for the surrounding
land turned out to be expensive because of solid rock discovered only
a few inches down, making digging difficult. Changes were made to the
plans to reduce cost in this area. Planned parking spaces were cut
from 33 to 24 and a few other steps were taken. This resulted in a
savings of about $89,000 off the preliminary estimate. The final
pre-bid estimate after the changes is $561,000. Shaughnessy reported
that for a projest of this size, it is usual to allow for an overage
of 5%."

The oiriginal price was supposed to be $360,000. Now it is up to
$561,000 and expected to rise. This for a building that is one third
the size of the building we sold for less in New Windsor.

Did not any of the board members blink when they heard these figures,
or are they all crazy, stupid, evil or not caring?

Old May 24th 05, 02:41 AM
[email protected]

VOODOO ECONOMICS

Three months ago, I told you from an inside source that the
proposed cost of the new building in low-cost Tennessee was about
$650,000 or higher. As usual, I was accused of lying or irresponsible
reporting.

Readers will notice the fall out: the lowball estimated cost is
now $561,000, which was $89,000 less than what they estimated. That
adds up to my report 90 days ago of about $650,000 or more.

This, for a building less than half the size of the New Windsor
structure, which will not, apparently, have much of a foundation.

The so-called budget surplus of $650,000 is voodoo.

The actual cost of the move to Cross-to-Bear will reach about
Sam Sloan's initial estimate of three-quarters of a million dollars,
which will require a decade to payoff, if there is still a Federation
by then. We can expect additions to the building, which will further
add to the cost of the move.

Old May 24th 05, 03:10 AM
Randy Bauer

wrote in message
oups.com...
VOODOO ECONOMICS

Three months ago, I told you from an inside source that the
proposed cost of the new building in low-cost Tennessee was about
$650,000 or higher. As usual, I was accused of lying or irresponsible
reporting.

Readers will notice the fall out: the lowball estimated cost is
now $561,000, which was $89,000 less than what they estimated. That
adds up to my report 90 days ago of about $650,000 or more.

This, for a building less than half the size of the New Windsor
structure, which will not, apparently, have much of a foundation.

Actually, just the opposite -- it will have a great foundation because it is
built into a rocky structure. Ask people in California if they would pay
extra for such a structure.

Parr and Sloan both are stuck on the "size matters" argument, even though
any good CFO will tell you that it does an organization no good to pay for
more size than it needs. They will also complain about the cost of the new
building but not accept the ongoing savings associated with lower personnel,
utilities, and insurance costs. One wonders what they will complain about
when the USCF runs its second consecutive budget surplus.

I recall not that long ago that Parr was breathlessly telling anybody who
would listen that the USCF would encounter a cash crunch of a great
magnitude yet this fiscal year -- hasn't happened. I recall that Parr was
telling anybody who would listen that Beatriz Marinello would be the next
executive director -- nope, didn't happen, will not happen, and her run as
COO as about up. I recall Parr telling anybody who would listen that
Beatriz Marinello would receive annualized expenses of $60,000 as COO --
nowhere near close to the actual amount.

The so-called budget surplus of $650,000 is voodoo.

I don't recall anybody suggesting a so-called surplus of that magnitude.
However, we will have a surplus, for the second consecutive year. Isn't
that a good thing?

The actual cost of the move to Cross-to-Bear will reach about
Sam Sloan's initial estimate of three-quarters of a million dollars,
which will require a decade to payoff, if there is still a Federation
by then. We can expect additions to the building, which will further
add to the cost of the move.

Look above for other Parr predictions. Three words -- when pigs fly.

Randy Bauer

Old May 24th 05, 06:55 AM
Mark Houlsby

MORE UNADULTERATED NONSENSE FROM THE IMBECILE PARR, WHO *STILL* HASN'T
FIGURED OUT THAT THIS HEADLINE STUNT OF HIS SERVES ONLY TO UNDERLINE
WHAT AN IDIOT HE HAS MADE OF HIMSELF, AGAIN, EVERY TIME HE MAKES AN
IDIOT OF HIMSELF, AGAIN.....

Larry,

Do you *ever* check *anything* before you go public?

You make yourself look really, really, really dumb, do you know that?

Old May 24th 05, 10:23 AM
Max Domized

"Randy Bauer" I recall Parr telling anybody who would listen that Beatriz
Marinello would receive annualized expenses of $60,000 as COO -- nowhere
near close to the actual amount.

So do you bring your wife with you to these meetings so she can show your
Boss some appreciation? After all, your cut of the pie didn't come for free.

Old May 24th 05, 10:25 AM
Max Domized

"Mark Houlsby" SNIP moronic SHOUTING

If you are going to shout insults, at least make them grammatically correct,
DUMB-ASS.

Old May 24th 05, 01:46 PM
Mark Houlsby

Ummm, I wasn't shouting, I was imitating Parr's idiotic
headline-writing style.

Would you please be so kind as to point out the grammatical inaccuracy
in question.

Thanks,

Mark

Old May 24th 05, 01:57 PM
Liam Too

Mark Houlsby wrote:
Ummm, I wasn't shouting, I was imitating Parr's idiotic
headline-writing style.

Would you please be so kind as to point out the grammatical

inaccuracy
in question.

Thanks,

Mark

Lemme try. The 2 agains in the sentence defeats the purpose of the
"rule of redundancy".

Old May 24th 05, 02:03 PM
Mark Houlsby

Nope, that's definitely not it.

Keep banging those rocks together....

Old May 25th 05, 07:06 AM
[email protected]

HONEST RANDY BAUER IS MYSTIFIED

I'm still mystified by where this $360,000 figure came from and who
could find it credible Randy Bauer

.Check the Shutt report which prognosticated a 4000 square foot building at a cost of $360,000. Richard Peterson (?)

I want to thank Rob Mitchell for noting, quite correctly, that I
informed you of the $650,000 cost of the building in Cross-to-Bear
about three months back.

An insider, who is on the other side of the political barrier,
sent a private note apologizing for staying quiet when I was attacked
as a liar for reporting the above number. In the note this person
admitted knowing of the enormous rise in cost estimates and felt guilty
about keeping quiet under pressure from the likes of Randy Bauer and
Beatriz Marinello, who are the Hoppers of the Board majority.

Mr. Bauer's response to my report being proved accurate, which he
knew to be true months ago and kept it quiet, was to say that I also
predicted there would be a cash shortage right about now.

Please keep in mind that I publicly predicated that shortage on
the assumption ChessCafe had been paying adveritising and other fees to
the USCF rather than sales commissions, which were lagging. I proved
correct on this point as we just learned. We shall see whether there
is indeed an overall shortage, though it will come later than I stated.

THE ESSENTIAL PLOY

I am an outsider looking into the Federation puzzle. When Mr. Bauer
attacks a reporter for getting soething wrong, he is really saying:
"We politicians act in secrecy; we try to stop the membership from
knowing the facts; and this time around we succeeded. Ha, ha. You were
wrong. Gotcha!"

I reported to you about six months back about a crooked contract
in which Cross-to-Bear hungry mouth architect Phil Elmore was being fed
$60,000 to design a building originally estimated to cost between
$300,000 to $350,000 or so. The Shutt report, which was not the first
estimate, put the figure at $360,000.

HONEST RANDY BAUER

Honest Randy Bauer did not tell you about the $650,000 number until
the estimates could no longer be kept secret. Honest Randy Bauer did
not reveal the crooked contract for Hungry Mouth Elmore, and the
reaction when I reported the contract was to demand the identity of my
source. Honest Randy Bauer and others on the Board majority will not
reveal whether Harry Sabine knew of the crooked contract and kept his
mouth shut to help out a local friend. Honest Randy Bauer and others
on the Board majority will not state whether Mr. Sabine vetted both
this contract and the claimed new contract with Hungry Mouth Elmore.

But they are honorable men. So are they all, all honorable men.
And Rob Mitchell is right: there is plenty of money to oil a lot of
pockets when putting up the new, small building in Cross-to-Bear.

Another piece of reporting on my part that embarrassed and
flummoxed those who hew to a party line mentality was my scoop that the
surplus claims made by Bill Goichberg were overstated and that there
would be fewer funds than claimed for the move to Cross-to-Bear. Mr.
Bauer denied any knowledge of such a report. There was a PB meeting in
which, it was claimed, nothing was said of the matter. And then, about
three weeks later, my report was confirmed.

The Messrs. Bauer and Stan Booz, evidently embarrassed, accused
Don Schultz (of all people) of leaking information to me that was
UNFAVORABLE to the Goichberg-Schultz political side. Someone such as
Mr. Bauer cannot conceive of a writer who is not a member of either
Federation political party.

THE REAL COST OF MOVING

We are now being told that although the building was secretly estimated
to cost $650,000 (I reported this about 90 days back) the real cost
will be $561,000. There will be savings of $89,000 by cutting parking
places (one recollects lack of parking was one of the absurd excuses
given for moving from New Windsor) and other programs.

The truth: MANY OF THESE CUTS WILL NOT BE MADE BECAUSE THE BOARD
MAJORITY KNOWS THAT THEY CANNOT BE MADE. The number of $561,000 is a
political number, and it will be superseded after votes have been cast
by a far higher number.

ROB MITCHELL AND OTHERS: Please keep the preceding paragraph for
future reference and note it when Honest Randy Bauer returns to tell us
there was an honest mistake, blah, blah, blah.

So, then, the real cost of moving: we have sold a building in New
Windsor for $515,000, which was nearly three times larger than the
small new structure in Cross-to-Bear will be. This small new
structure, the design of which is being cheapened even as I type this
message, will require further additions if the Federation manages to
survive. The new LOWBALL estimate by the Board majority is that this
small bulding will cost $561,000. A source states that costs for
additions will run at least $250,000 or possibly more.

Randy Bauer, who knew months ago that my report of $650,000 was
accurate and who dishonestly kept the fact from you, knows the eventual
cost of a proper facility in Cross-to-Bear will reach about $900,000,
when additions are added.

Sam Sloan told you many weeks ago that the final cost of moving
to Cross-to-Bear would be about $750,000, and this figure will be
proven more or less correct. It will require a decade to pay it off.

The irony is that it was never even necessary to sell the building
in New Windsor and relocate to begin with. But, among other things, it
did provide a job for USCF president Beatriz Marinello.