Old May 24th 05, 06:27 AM

Default Now Ear This

The June issue of Discover Magazine also has an interesting short
piece on the deep earlobe crease that appears in some people as they
age. There has long been speculation that the crease is a predictor
for eventual heart disease. Since 1974 there have been 30 studies of
the matter, some confirming, some not. In one study of 1000
hospitalize patients, 373 had the telltale earlobe crease, the rest did
not. Over time 74% of those with the crease developed heart disease
while only 16% without the crease developed heart disease.
Interestingly enough, I first read about the ear crease theory
sometime prior to 1960. A cardiologist at the University of Alabama
first proposed this theory. For about 40 years I heard nothing about
it. Nor had any of my physicians. Then a few years ago I read
something new about the theory. And now I learn from Discover Magazine
that there have been many studies of the crease, some taking place in
China.

Old Haasie

Old May 24th 05, 01:39 PM
Kiddon

Others call that a myth. See
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/cardio/archive/4070.html.

kiddon

Old May 24th 05, 02:10 PM
Mike Murray

On 23 May 2005 22:27:26 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

From what I've read, the studies seeking to demonstrate a connection
between earlobe creases and heart disease did not adjust for age.
Older people tend to have more creases (i.e., wrinkles) in their
earlobes. Older people tend to have more heart disease. The
connection between earlobe creases and heart disease is quite likely
an artifact of aging.
Old May 24th 05, 03:53 PM

As I said, the short article pointed out that some studies show a
link between earlobe creases and eventual heart disease while other
studies did not show a link. One doctor quoted in the article said
that the presence of the earlobe crease should at least heighten one's
monitoring by conventional methods for heart disease. It would worry
me at my age of 62 if I had the crease... in addition to the risk
factors I already have.

Old Haasie

Old May 24th 05, 07:17 PM
Kiddon

You mean factors other than eating a diet of BBQ Pork, chiterlings and
greens?

kiddon