Old May 29th 05, 08:07 AM
Patrick Volk

Default Sam Sloan's Chess Lesson Video Posted on the Internet

On Thu, 26 May 2005 01:27:32 GMT, (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

I have posted as a streaming video my Chess Lesson #2 as broadcast on
Cable TV last week.

The address is
http://www.ishipress.com/samchess2.asf

Lesson 2 covers some basic opening traps such as the basic trap in the
Albin Counter Gambit and basic rook and pawn endgames such as the
Lucena Position. It also demonstrates the infamous Keres-Botvinnik
1948 World Championship Game where Keres dumped the game to insure
that Botvinnik and not Reshevsky would be World Chess Champion.

The title of this episode is "Chess: Basic Openings and Basc
Endgames".

I need to thank Gary Popkin for providing both the inspiration and the
technical expertise for this show. II also need to thank Leshaun
Fossett for capturing and recording the streaming video for me.

Anybody who views this video, please post feedback here and tell me
what you think. Among other things, I want to know whether you feel
that this show is ready for prime time.

Sam Sloan

First, lay off the coffee before you go on. Your dialog isn't matching
what you're showing on the board, and your presentation is a little on
the hectic side. Maybe try vodka! Slow down a little bit.

Second, I would recommend you use something on the computer, loading
up the sequences you want to show, and you could put additional
graphics in there (say showing attacking lanes, or potential future
moves without mucking the board all up). I think that would help you
calm down on the speaking side of it.
Between sequences, you can cut back to yourself so you could set up
for the next position.

I could tell that wasn't the original king, it was off-white.

Finally, you don't need to script it word-for-word, but have some sort
of order in the presentation. You seemed to jump around a bit. Maybe
that was the coffee...

But what you described here, to be objective, you seemed to back into
in your show... like you happened upon it. The other thing I think I
picked up on was that you say it's basic, but mentally you seem to be
having a tough time keeping it at that level... you seem to not be
comfortable explaining stuff at that level.

If there's anything, the hectic nature of the presentation probably
spared the public any pretentiousness, or self-promotion