Old June 1st 05, 02:48 PM
Angelo DePalma

Default CB question (off topic)

Apologies for posting this here. This seems to be the only chess newsgroup
with a pulse. Previous attempts to get answers on rec.games.chess.computer
resulted in my getting flamed, and as many are aware ChessBase GmbH offers
no technical support.

CB 9 is always hanging on my machine. If I click on the database path
browser in the left-hand pane it freezes. If I try to browse my hard drive
from within CB it freezes. If I click on the "next game" button while
browsing a database it freezes. If I try to replace a game it freezes.

It's better than it used to be. When I first installed the program my entire
computer would freeze, forever. Now only CB itself freezes, and only for 3-5
minutes. But it's still quite annoying.

Yesterday I tried to save one of my games and the program went through two
counting exercises (it counted up to several hundred thousand of
something -- what?? -- twice. After which it froze for 2-3 minutes. My
system is also very slow if I have CB running in the background, but if I
close it and free up RAM I can have 15 programs running simultaneously. For
example, as I type this post the computer freezes every other line or so for
10-15 seconds.

I have a 2.4 GHz processor, WinXP, 500 MB RAM. A typical machine.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening, or how it can be fixed?

Angelo DePalma

Old June 1st 05, 02:51 PM
Mark Houlsby

Ditch Windows XP.

Mark Houlsby

Old June 1st 05, 05:15 PM

I don't know if Mark Houlsby's response is correct, but I have XP and
have had some similar problems with CB. Not as bad as yours - but just
occasional "hangs" - and it does that "counting exercise" too...

Old June 1st 05, 05:25 PM
Mark Houlsby

Actually it was intended only as friendly advice. I know nobody who has
XP who doesn't have a lot of problems...

Old June 1st 05, 06:54 PM
Angelo DePalma

I had a similar problem with CB 8, which was written before XP came out.
However, CB continued to sell the incompatible version for at least 2 years
after XP became available. You'd think they'd include a typewritten
instruction sheet for downloading the patch but in typical style they did
not. It took me a couple of months to learn about the upgrade and to
download it, but even then it did not work properly.

The only reasons I purchased CB9 was because supposedly it worked flawlessly
with XP and featured improved file -storage and -selection capabilities. It
was obvious from the initial install, however, that it was not going to work
as advertised. Until I re-installed it I could kiss my open work goodbye
simply by browsing for a file.

How a $300 piece of software could be incompatible with the Windows file
system, 10 years after joining the Windows world, is a puzzle. Every
goddamned piece of crap throwaway program on earth flawlessly invokes the
Windows file system on installation.

Shame on those dirty rotten *******s who now possess $100 more (for the
upgrade) of my money.

BTW CB USA is a great organization and very helpful. My ranting is in no way
aimed at them.

adp

oups.com...

Old June 2nd 05, 12:24 AM
StanB

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message

Yesterday I tried to save one of my games and the program went through two
counting exercises (it counted up to several hundred thousand of
something -- what?? -- twice. After which it froze for 2-3 minutes. My
system is also very slow if I have CB running in the background, but if I
close it and free up RAM I can have 15 programs running simultaneously.
For example, as I type this post the computer freezes every other line or
so for 10-15 seconds.

I have a 2.4 GHz processor, WinXP, 500 MB RAM. A typical machine.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening, or how it can be fixed?

ChessBase is notorious for releasing new products without adequate testing.
I've learned to wait until it's been out for six months to a year.

Old June 2nd 05, 01:24 AM

Angelo DePalma wrote:
Apologies for posting this here. This seems to be the only chess newsgroup
with a pulse. Previous attempts to get answers on rec.games.chess.computer
resulted in my getting flamed, and as many are aware ChessBase GmbH offers
no technical support.

Angelo, I haven't visited rgcc for a while, so I missed your post
there. I recall that we discussed this problem of yours before,
however.

CB 9 is always hanging on my machine. If I click on the database path
browser in the left-hand pane it freezes. If I try to browse my hard drive
from within CB it freezes. If I click on the "next game" button while
browsing a database it freezes. If I try to replace a game it freezes.

It's better than it used to be. When I first installed the program my entire
computer would freeze, forever. Now only CB itself freezes, and only for 3-5
minutes. But it's still quite annoying.

First of all, as frustrating as your experience has been, it is not
typical for most users of CB. I used CB8 for several years, first with
Win ME and then with Win XP, with few of the problems you describe. Now
I have CB9 and I still do not have the problems you describe. I have
had a few freezes of the program but nothing major since I installed
the latest upgrade patches, a week or so after I got the program.

Yesterday I tried to save one of my games and the program went through two
counting exercises (it counted up to several hundred thousand of
something -- what?? -- twice. After which it froze for 2-3 minutes. My
system is also very slow if I have CB running in the background, but if I
close it and free up RAM I can have 15 programs running simultaneously. For
example, as I type this post the computer freezes every other line or so for
10-15 seconds.

I have a 2.4 GHz processor, WinXP, 500 MB RAM. A typical machine.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening, or how it can be fixed?

I do not know why you are having the freezes but I can suggest one
reason why the slowdowns might be occurring. As I believe I mentioned
during our last go-round on rgcc, I think 512 MB is barely adequate RAM
for a machine with Win XP. XP and its related programs alone will use
at least 128 MB. CB9 uses a lot of memory (it's designed that way), so
if you have a few other things running you could come up short on RAM.
For example, I opened my largest database and did a player dossier - at
that point the Windows task list showed CB9 using 86 MB. I have 1 GB of
RAM, so this is not a problem for me. However, if you had CB open, plus
your browser and maybe something else in the background...

One other possibility: back when I was using CB8 I used to get
slowdowns that I discovered were caused by Norton AV. If I turned off
Norton, CB speeded up again. You might try, as an experiment, turning
off your AV scanner (Make sure you are NOT connected to the internet
when you do it!).

If your problem is not solved either by getting more RAM or by
discovering some incompatibility with another running process, then I
don't know what to suggest. All I can tell you, once again, is that
there are many CB users out there who run the program with no problems.
I really think there has to be something about your particular machine
- or the way you use it - that is causing this.

-- Hal Terrie

Old June 2nd 05, 02:57 AM
Angelo DePalma

Thanks, Hal. I have been thinking of getting an additional 1/2 GB of RAM,
and maybe this is a good excuse for doing so.

adp
wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 2nd 05, 02:58 AM
Angelo DePalma

I thought the Germans were supposed to be methodical, thorough.

Hey, I thought the British were sophisticated until I saw the Beatles.

Thanks, Stan.

Old June 2nd 05, 11:35 AM
Mark Houlsby

In what sense were the Beatles *not* sophisicated? Musically?
Lyrically? Their dress sense? Their business sense?

Thanks, Angelo.