Old June 2nd 05, 12:37 PM
Rob

Default Mr. Booz agrees in principle with Mr Troung

the following was posted in another newsgroup:

--- In , "stanbooz" [email protected] wrote:
As you well know the lady that made that offer did so mistakenly.

The ED
then told her to send a corrected letter and he didn't bother to

proof
the second letter.

[below posted by Rob Mitchell]

So, lets say a salesman is selling you a car. He tells you, you can
have it for 10k. You sign it and he takes it to his sales
manager.The sales manager signs it and sends it back. Then he
realizes there was an error and the salesman takes the contract from
you, says I am sorry, we made a mistake. You say OK. The salesman
and the salesmanager produce a second signed contract and they infer
to you it is correct. All parties sign it. Then as you pay for your
car the sales manager runs out and says, we made a mistake. You cant
have the car. We are going to keep your 10k but you owe us another
2k for the car.

Is it your fault they made an error twice? No. You paid for your car
and performed your part under the contract. What would you do next?

[below posted by Stan Booz]

Why squire Rob, I'd drive the hypothetical car off the hypothetical
lot. But we're not talking about cars, we're talking about people that
want to give back to the chess community. People that are more
interested in doing things for chess even if it means letting the
opponent have a takeback or two. Even if it means not taking money that
they know was offered through incompetence.

[below posted by Rob Mitchell ]

So you agree that the contract which was presented twice, the second
time after being withdrawn and accepted and then resigned a second
time, should be honored. Wanting to do something positive for chess
has nothing to do with it. Many of the people who played for the US may
not have played had not the offer of the bonus been there. Not to honor
it is "bait and switch". I am sure that New York has many laws
concerning this practice.

In your official capacity with the USCF you should weigh the stregnth
of you position. Is this the hill you( collectivly the USCF) wants to
die on?

Rob Mitchell

Old June 2nd 05, 01:44 PM
[email protected]

Who cares! Which idiot would ever trust the USCF?

Old June 2nd 05, 01:47 PM
Mark Houlsby

You mean... only smart people would trust the USCF?

Old June 2nd 05, 02:06 PM
[email protected]

Smart people would never join the USCF

Old June 2nd 05, 02:10 PM
Mark Houlsby

OH, so you've turned to face in the other direction, now?

How long before your *next* volte-face? ;-)

Old June 3rd 05, 05:49 AM
StanB

"Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

So you agree that the contract which was presented twice, the second
time after being withdrawn and accepted and then resigned a second
time, should be honored. Wanting to do something positive for chess
has nothing to do with it. Many of the people who played for the US may
not have played had not the offer of the bonus been there. Not to honor
it is "bait and switch". I am sure that New York has many laws
concerning this practice.

It wasn't a contract dufus, it was a letter sent afterwards.

In your official capacity with the USCF you should weigh the stregnth
of you position. Is this the hill you( collectivly the USCF) wants to
die on?

Rob, if a duck had a straw hat and five bucks, how long could he hold his
breath?

Old June 4th 05, 12:48 PM
Rob

StanB wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

So you agree that the contract which was presented twice, the second
time after being withdrawn and accepted and then resigned a second
time, should be honored. Wanting to do something positive for chess
has nothing to do with it. Many of the people who played for the US may
not have played had not the offer of the bonus been there. Not to honor
it is "bait and switch". I am sure that New York has many laws
concerning this practice.

It wasn't a contract dufus, it was a letter sent afterwards.

What was not a contract? A lwtter sent after what?

In your official capacity with the USCF you should weigh the stregnth
of you position. Is this the hill you( collectivly the USCF) wants to
die on?

Rob, if a duck had a straw hat and five bucks, how long could he hold his
breath?

Stan, Not sure why you would want one. Why is the air speed of a fully
laden swallow? Section 213 might give an indication.