Old June 2nd 05, 06:21 PM

Default Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?

Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?

I used to have great respect for Taylor Kingston and I told him so on
the one occasion that we met. Although I often disagreed with him, I
found his submissions well researched and well written and worth
reading.

Then, about one month ago, for no reason at all that I am aware of,
Taylor Kingston started attacking me several times every day.

Taylor Kingston has resorted to constantly lying about me, misquoting
me and so on.

The latest example comes under his thread which he has entitled
Altering Sam Sloan (a contest for creative writers!)

The premise of his posting is that I have said that Chess Life had the
right to cut the length of a letter which he wrote for publication in
that magazine, and therefore he has the right to change my words in my
postings to the chess newsgroup rec.games.chess.politics

In doing this, Taylor Kingston again misquotes me.

"Taylor Kingston" wrote in message

And your definition of "ad hominem" is faulty -- this is parody, in a
form to which Sloan, by his own words, has no right to object. To
paraphrase Sam himself, "If he did not want his words altered, then he
should not have posted them on rgcp."

I never wrote any such thing. What I actually did write was:

"Yes. It is unreasonable. Every newspaper or magazine in the world
that publishes a letters to the editor column reserves and utilizes the
right to alter or shorten the submissions. If you did not want any
changes to be made to your words, you should not have written a letter
to Chess Life." -- Sam Sloan, 27 April 2005

It is obvious that there is a vast difference between a posting to an
Internet newsgroup like rgcp which has unlimited capacity and is
carried on the hard drives of computers around the world, and a letter
to the editor of a magazine like Chess Life which has very limited
space and probably should not be publishing Taylor Kingston's letters
at all.

This is just one of many examples of a completely wrongful
misquotation by Taylor Kingston. So, my question is:

Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?

Old June 2nd 05, 06:51 PM
Matt Nemmers

Sam Sloan wrote:
Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?

We wonder that about you daily.

Then, about one month ago, for no reason at all that I am aware of,
Taylor Kingston started attacking me several times every day.

He probably never liked you to being with, Sloan.

[...]

sarcasm

Yeah, that's not the same.

/sarcasm

It is obvious that there is a vast difference between a posting to an
Internet newsgroup like rgcp which has unlimited capacity and is
carried on the hard drives of computers around the world, and a letter
to the editor of a magazine like Chess Life which has very limited
space and probably should not be publishing Taylor Kingston's letters
at all.

And your whiny-assed point would be....?

This is just one of many examples of a completely wrongful
misquotation by Taylor Kingston.

What about the plethora of times you've INTENTIONALLY misquoted people
to fit your own delusions about yourself? Your March 2, 2002 post
about the "vagina bit" comes to mind. You lied, Sloan. Period. Yet
you seem to have no problem defending your own actions as "reasonable."

So, my question is:

Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?

Sam Sloan

Why do you?

MN

Old June 2nd 05, 07:18 PM
Mark Houlsby

Sam,

The extent of your idiocy staggers the mind.

Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?

Where is your evidence that Taylor Kingston always likes to lie? Do you
know what the question: "Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?"
actually means?

Here's a clue: it means no more, and no less, than that in the evident
opinion of the individual (or group) posing the question that Taylor
Kingston is possessed of a predilection either to prostrate himself, or
deliberately to promulgate untruths.

In *neither* case does it suggest that he *actually* prostrates himself
or *actually* promulgates untruths, only that, in the opinion of the
individual or group which is posing the question, he has such a
*predilection*.

An example: I like to win games against chess masters, but I have done
so only once, which was a skittles game, played on a tiny set, at a
ceilidh, one New Year's Eve. My having enjoyed the fact that I won that
solitary game in no way suggests that I am in the habit of winning
games against masters, neither does it suggest that my talent for chess
is anything approaching that of the master I beat, neither does it
suggest anything other than that I got lucky that one time. I still
*like* to beat masters, however, and hope to do so again at some point
in the future.

I used to have great respect for Taylor Kingston and I told him so on

the one occasion that we met. Although I often disagreed with him, I
found his submissions well researched and well written and worth
reading.

Then, about one month ago, for no reason at all that I am aware of,

Taylor Kingston started attacking me several times every day.

Here's a clue. YOU ATTACKED HIM AND SUPPORTED OTHERS WHO WERE ATTACKING
HIM. Do you want to take each instance in turn.

Taylor Kingston has resorted to constantly lying about me, misquoting

me and so on.

Oh yes?

The latest example comes under his thread which he has entitled

Altering Sam Sloan (a contest for creative writers!)

Yes, well, you gave him the green light for that, remember?

The premise of his posting is that I have said that Chess Life had the

right to cut the length of a letter which he wrote for publication in
that magazine, and therefore he has the right to change my words in my
postings to the chess newsgroup rec.games.chess.politics

Uh huh. Where's the harm in that?

[...]

It's the same in principle. If you don't want to be misquoted, stop
writing.

This is just one of many examples of a completely wrongful

misquotation by Taylor Kingston. So, my question is:

Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?

Well, I don't understand why you're asking that particular question,
since, as I have already explained above, it's the wrong question.

Sam Sloan

The point, ****wit, is that there are standards of behaviour to which
most of us adhere. It's clear that you do not, which is why there are
so very many of us who think that you're total ****, and wish you'd
just go away. If you think:

a) that you can post a bunch of NY libertarian politics to this group,
and

b) that you can post a mayoral candidate's personal information in such
a way as it may be "carried on the hard drives of computers around the
world" and, what is more, that as a result of your unthinking,
irresponsible behaviour, is carried on a great many *more* hard drives
than is strictly necessary, then don't be too surprised if this kind of
thing happens from time to time.

Now, concerning the *particular incident* to which you referred above
(the one with respect to which Taylor was raising the issue of his
communication's having been cut prior to its having been published in
CL) Taylor's point was this: Evans (or perhaps his mail server, or
Taylor's) *substantially altered* the content of the communication
prior to its being published. This alteration was *much worse* than any
of the alterations which any of those of us who are contestants in
Taylor's competition have made to *your words*, so we're just letting
you know that because, in keeping with your habitual wont, you have
COMPLETELY FAILED TO GATHER THE FACTS OF THE STORY, we are going to
lampoon you.

I can speak only for myself, not for any of the other contestants. I
shall *continue* to lampoon you *until* you begin to act like a
responsible adult.

If you don't like it, sue me.

****wit.

Mark Houlsby

Old June 2nd 05, 07:37 PM
Anders Thulin

Sam Sloan wrote:

I never wrote any such thing.

Isn't that rather implied in the use of the word 'paraphrase'
here? Dictionary.com indicates the word means 'a restatement of
a text or passage in another form or other words', and so it
seems more or less self-evident that you didn't write that
particular text.

--
Anders Thulin ath*algonet.se http://www.algonet.se/~ath
Old June 2nd 05, 07:37 PM
Jerzy

Sam Sloan wrote :
Why does Taylor Kingston always like to lie?

I used to have great respect for Taylor Kingston and I told him so on
the one occasion that we met. Although I often disagreed with him, I
found his submissions well researched and well written and worth
reading.

Then, about one month ago, for no reason at all that I am aware of,
Taylor Kingston started attacking me several times every day.

Taylor Kingston has resorted to constantly lying about me, misquoting
me and so on.

He likes to attack you because he thinks that you are in the camp of
supporters Larry Parr and so you are his enemy in his thoughts ;-)

However Taylor, Kingston Taylor finds his supporters in weaker players e.g.
Matt Nemmers or Mark Houlsby who try to become authorities here at any cost.
If I were you Sam, I wouldn`t care much about them ;-)

Regards,

Jerzy

Old June 2nd 05, 07:44 PM
Mark Houlsby

Not fair Anders! You are Swedish, and so one assumes that "Svenska" is
your first language, English perhaps your second. It may be obvious to
*you* that that is, indeed, what paraphrase means, but it's *far* from
obvious to Sam Sloan, who, evidently, if he does know any other
languages apart from English, does not know, for example, "Yugoslav",
really... how can he be expected to understand such an obvious point?

Please try to give Sam a little more consideration in future! He's so
vulnerable and reticent, you may cause him to disappear altogether....

Mark Houlsby

Old June 2nd 05, 07:46 PM
Mark Houlsby

I suspect that my explanation may have been slightly the more
exhaustive, and Anders' explanation more to the point.

Call it a hunch.

Mark

Old June 2nd 05, 08:21 PM
Goran Tomic

You attacked personality but not somebody's states. It seems that you and
Jerzy ("Jerky") have very much "free time". I suggest you to go to find
woman, not to waste time on this newsgroup. The same advice for poor Jerzy
"Jerky".

Regards,
Goran Tomic,
Yugoslavia

Old June 2nd 05, 08:30 PM
Chess One

"Mark Houlsby" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not fair Anders! You are Swedish, and so one assumes that "Svenska" is
your first language, English perhaps your second. It may be obvious to
*you* that that is, indeed, what paraphrase means, but it's *far* from
obvious to Sam Sloan, who, evidently, if he does know any other
languages apart from English, does not know, for example, "Yugoslav",
really... how can he be expected to understand such an obvious point?

Please try to give Sam a little more consideration in future! He's so
vulnerable and reticent, you may cause him to disappear altogether....

I think I like you for your good jokes. Know any Alekhine chokes?

Up-tight in Vt, ;(

Mark Houlsby

Old June 2nd 05, 08:37 PM
Chess One

"Goran Tomic" wrote in message
You attacked personality but not somebody's states. It seems that you and
Jerzy ("Jerky") have very much "free time". I suggest you to go to find
woman, not to waste time on this newsgroup. The same advice for poor Jerzy
"Jerky".

Goran, you are starting to sound like Capablanca. This is not a criticism!

Anyway, I never mind people who can have an intelligent conversation,
falling out with others who are the same. And, to write to the largest
possible point, we are all much the same, no? Those who agree with us and
those who do not.

Pax. Phil

Regards,
Goran Tomic,