Old June 3rd 05, 01:50 AM
Ray Gordon

Default Older chessplayers are DISTRACTED AND LAZY!!

I just have to say that: at my age (38), I've still got the brain, still got
the talent, and can even train like a demon, but boy those life forces sure
pull one away from the board.

Don't get me wrong: I still put 30-40 hours a week into my game, but it
bothers me that it's often not possible to study more (at least not this
month), not because I can't handle it physically or mentally, but because
there are only 24 hours in the day and oh so much to do.

No wonder the young dominate this game. They're the only ones who can truly
afford to.

--
Ray Gordon, Author
http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html

http://www.cybersheet.com/chess.html
Free Chess E-book: Train Like A Chess Champion

Don't buy anything from experts who won't debate on a free speech forum.

Old June 3rd 05, 02:31 AM
eDog

Ray Gordon wrote:
I just have to say that: at my age (38), I've still got the brain, still got
the talent, and can even train like a demon, but boy those life forces sure
pull one away from the board.

Don't get me wrong: I still put 30-40 hours a week into my game, but it
bothers me that it's often not possible to study more (at least not this
month), not because I can't handle it physically or mentally, but because
there are only 24 hours in the day and oh so much to do.

No wonder the young dominate this game. They're the only ones who can truly
afford to.

Do you really play chess or are you just here to hawk your self-help
books for guys who want to date strippers?
Old June 3rd 05, 03:49 AM
Ray Gordon

I just have to say that: at my age (38), I've still got the brain, still
got the talent, and can even train like a demon, but boy those life
forces sure pull one away from the board.

Don't get me wrong: I still put 30-40 hours a week into my game, but it
bothers me that it's often not possible to study more (at least not this
month), not because I can't handle it physically or mentally, but because
there are only 24 hours in the day and oh so much to do.

No wonder the young dominate this game. They're the only ones who can
truly afford to.

Do you really play chess or are you just here to hawk your self-help books
for guys who want to date strippers?

I was once rated 2000 USCF, and am currently rated 1900. I achieved that
rating at age 21 after two years of serious play. I quit at age 24 with a
playing strength of around 2200, but a lack of focus before I quit that led
to a losing streak that dropped my rating to its floor (I had stopped
studying and taken a job).

Now I routinely beat 2200-2300 players online at Blitz (online blitz
ratings; I've beaten several GMs as well as some 3000-rated computers, with
Black).

I"m fascinated by the age question in chess because I make a good case study
for it: I have a lot of talent for the game, but have never really taken it
seriously for more than a few years. Now I can train at home, with
computers, and have no reason not to improve. I just wish they'd had this
technology around when I was a kid. It would have been fun.

Old June 3rd 05, 10:13 AM

Now I routinely beat 2200-2300 players online at Blitz (online blitz
ratings; I've beaten several GMs as well as some 3000-rated computers,
with
Black).

So if you "routinely" beat 2200-2300 players online, can we assume your
rating is also greater than 2300? Or are you still a 1900-2000? If so,
you probably do not "routinely" beat anyone except for those rated
1700.....

Old June 3rd 05, 02:34 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Now I routinely beat 2200-2300 players online at Blitz (online blitz
ratings; I've beaten several GMs as well as some 3000-rated computers,
with
Black).

So if you "routinely" beat 2200-2300 players online, can we assume your
rating is also greater than 2300? Or are you still a 1900-2000? If so,
you probably do not "routinely" beat anyone except for those rated
1700.....
I think Blitz should have been called "Blight". It isn't real chess, any more than Fischer Random. Lots of people have stories about how good they "really" are. If you want to give advice to others and receive respect as if you are any level of master player, then I think it would greatly behoove you to get legitimate certification of master level tournament play with standard rather than quick time controls.

Old June 15th 05, 11:50 PM

So if you "routinely" beat 2200-2300 players online, can we assume your
rating is also greater than 2300? Or are you still a 1900-2000?

His rating is exactly 1900. See for yourself:

http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?12482187

You can assume that's his real strength. For a guy with a reputation as
a pathological liar, stories about beating 2300's regularly are just
that: stories. Not having played OTB chess since 1991, he obviously has
no desire to try and fail to raise his rating to what he thinks it
should be, so he'd rather just tell fish stories. Until he proves over
the board that he's better than 1900, he should be regarded as a 1900
player.

Old June 16th 05, 01:19 AM
Ray Gordon

So if you "routinely" beat 2200-2300 players online, can we assume your
rating is also greater than 2300? Or are you still a 1900-2000?

His rating is exactly 1900. See for yourself:

How much extra money is first prize in the u-2200 and u-2400 sections of a
megaswiss as opposed to the u-2000 section again?

You confuse the lack of incentive for losing eligibility with weak play.

Old June 16th 05, 01:20 AM
Ray Gordon

You can assume that's his real strength. For a guy with a reputation as
a pathological liar,

LOL this from a liar himself.

stories about beating 2300's regularly are just
that: stories. Not having played OTB chess since 1991, he obviously has
no desire to try and fail to raise his rating to what he thinks it
should be, so he'd rather just tell fish stories. Until he proves over
the board that he's better than 1900, he should be regarded as a 1900
player.

Remember that when I sweep an u-2000 section upon my return to the game,
whenever that is.

Please.

--
Ray Gordon, Author
http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
Four FREE books on how to get laid by beautiful women

Seduction Made Easy: http://www.cybersheet.com/easy.html
Get this book FREE when you purchase ANY affiliated product!

Visit our FREE SPEECH SEDUCTION REVIEW message boards at:
http://cybersheet.com/eve/ubb.x
Compare over a dozen different seduction e-books and get SME for FREE if you
buy!

Old June 16th 05, 04:12 AM

Remember that when I sweep an u-2000 section upon my return to the game,
whenever that is.

Sure, Mig, uh, Gordo. You are more likely to be sweeping the floor
after the rounds are over than ever playing a rated game. Oh wait a
minute, that would mean you were holding down a job. Sorry.