Old June 4th 05, 07:53 PM
BrotherNehoc

Default US OPEN Surprise

In the April, May, & June issues of Chess Life there has been a TLA for
the 2005 US Open. However, there is one thing missing from this TLA
that you would usually see in a TLA for a big tournament. What is
missing is the Hotel Rate.

Well Surprise! I guess there is not a special discounted hotel rate at
this years US Open. What is more, if you have looked into the rates at
the Biltmore [site of the 2005 US Open] you will find that nightly
rates start at $145 and go up!!

I wonder did the organizers think they could hide this forever? I do
hope the contract with the hotel did not have a room night requirement.

Anyone want to start a thread for a reasonable (or cheap) hotel rate in
Phoenix search? After all if you can find a hotel at $70 a night, and
have to pay $30 a day for a car rental you would still see a savings
even after the $40 spent for a tank of gasoline.

Larry Cohen
USCF Delegate from Illinois

DUH; yes I will be staying at some other hotel.

Old June 4th 05, 08:35 PM
Jerzy

DUH; yes I will be staying at some other hotel.

Why don`t you take a trailer or sleep in a holiday cabin ? :-)

Old June 4th 05, 10:01 PM
Mike Nolan

"John Sheatsley" writes:

According to the USCF website there's a $99 chess rate in effect until July
5.

The $99 rate is also mentioned in the full-page ad on page 62 of the June
issue.
--
Mike Nolan
Old June 4th 05, 10:14 PM

Larry Cohen wrote:

In the April, May, & June issues of Chess Life there has been a TLA for
the 2005 US Open. However, there is one thing missing from this TLA
that you would usually see in a TLA for a big tournament. What is
missing is the Hotel Rate.

This is an unfortunate oversight.

Well Surprise! I guess there is not a special discounted hotel rate at
this years US Open. What is more, if you have looked into the rates at
the Biltmore [site of the 2005 US Open] you will find that nightly
rates start at $145 and go up!!

This time you did not do your homework. The chess rate is listed in
the ads on the USCF web site; it is $99.00 per night (S/D). Even if you
did not discover this on the web site, if you just call the hotel and
ASK for the chess rate, they will give it to you. When making a hotel
reservation for a chess tournament, I always mention the tournament
when I call. Frankly, the only way I can think of that you would not
get the chess rate is if you deliberately did not mention the
tournament when you called. Or did you even bother to call before
posting this wild speculation? Are you TRYING to make trouble for the
U.S. Open?

[Remaining provocative rubbish snipped]

-- Hal Terrie

Old June 4th 05, 11:03 PM
BrotherNehoc

I stand corrected. I did not realize it was in Chess Life. But as for
the comments about the web site & calling the hotel, well I go by what
is in the TLA. That means that I look for the HR symbol in the TLA.
Also, I NEVER look at the USCF web site for tournament information.
Finally, I do not call the hotel if the hotel telephone number is not
listed in the TLA. I was just very surprised that in 3 different
issues of Chess Life that there was no Hotel Rate listed. I aplolgize
if anyone took this in the wrong light.

Best "Chess" Regards
Larry Cohen

Old June 4th 05, 11:10 PM
Mike Nolan

"BrotherNehoc" writes:

I was just very surprised that in 3 different
issues of Chess Life that there was no Hotel Rate listed. I aplolgize
if anyone took this in the wrong light.

I think it's reasonable to assume that this was a single error in preparing
and/or proofing the TLA the first time, after that it was just a replication
of the previous TLA.

I don't know if we can catch it in time for the July issue.
--
Mike Nolan

Old June 4th 05, 11:21 PM

When I go out of town for a tournament I always stay at an Insect
Inn. I look for the big green sign with the giant mandibles and
wiggling antennae. Each room comes equipped with a ceiling mounted
automated DDT spay system. Gas mask is extra.

Old Haasie