Old June 11th 05, 07:42 AM

Default Interview with New USCF Exec Director

http://www.crossville-chronicle.com/...sdirector.html

Russell Miller, Chelan WA

Old June 11th 05, 09:21 AM
David Ames

I thought Phoenix was in Arizona (AZ),, not Arkansas (AR). You learn
something new every day.

David Ames

Old June 11th 05, 12:57 PM

On 10 Jun 2005 23:42:22 -0700, wrote:

http://www.crossville-chronicle.com/...sdirector.html

Russell Miller, Chelan WA

"According to Hall, membership has dropped due to Internet play. Some
25,000-30,000 play chess over the Internet. "

That is not why membership has dropped. Bill Hall is not off to a good
start.

Old June 11th 05, 01:29 PM
[email protected]

So, we have a dedicated kiddie herder at the wheel. I suppose adult
chess will be left to drift.
We need the Mensa model to drive adult chess at the basic market
level.
If the real Mensa can share a good portion of its $49 membership with
its local chapters, then so could the USCF share with the would-be
Metro District umbrella orgs.

Old Haasie

Old June 11th 05, 01:43 PM
[email protected]

Sam, play on the internet is one of several reasons why adult
membership has declined.
In order for adult membership to grow once again, the USCF will have
to figure out a way to enhance and enrich our chess experiences. That
won't come from the usual approaches involving diddling with Chess Life
and the website.
It will come from a better delivery system for organized chess..
i.e., the Mensa treatment for chess whereby a good portion of the
national dues is sent down to the basic market in the form of Metro
District umbrella orgs.
Until you, the other EB candidates, the existing EB, and the ED
realize this, not much will be accomplished with the usual cosmetic
approaches.

Old Haasie

Old June 11th 05, 02:18 PM
George John

Good, Greif !

-big grin- (anyone get the joke?)

--George

Old June 11th 05, 02:19 PM
Chess One

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sam, play on the internet is one of several reasons why adult
membership has declined.
In order for adult membership to grow once again, the USCF will have
to figure out a way to enhance and enrich our chess experiences. That
won't come from the usual approaches involving diddling with Chess Life
and the website.
It will come from a better delivery system for organized chess..

Dear Father Time,

What mechanism in your opinion constitutes "a better delivery system?" I
assume Mensa-method is re-distributing funding - is that the essence of it?
If so, how does that translate into something beneficial?

Cordially, Young Phil

Old June 11th 05, 02:28 PM
Mark Houlsby

Phil, why did you import a flame war from HLAS?

Old June 11th 05, 03:31 PM
Chess One

"Mark Houlsby" wrote in message
oups.com...
Phil, why did you import a flame war from HLAS?

Mark, since when does stalking, taunting and betrayal equate with
'flame-war'?

And I already answered you with the context to your question on several
occasions. It is an example of a method used by essentially childish persons
to not sincerely address any topic, but to put down the person who is
perceived to have some degree of distinction, while gaining a moments
notoriety for one's self in the association.

You can believe whatever you want about Brennen, according to your own wit
and inclination. [I note that he significantly did not take the test]

Meanwhile Taylor Kingston has written to me and I have corresponded with
him. I did return him a small selection of his e-mails at his request, which
I feel are completely consistent with what I wrote here publicly on Averbakh
and Laurie, and I further offered him that if this statement isn't true then
he should say so here publicly, and I won't reply.

I think in as much as either Taylor Kingston or I wish to have a public
debate, we are now done.

For myself, in terms of Keres/Botvinnik, I think there is much more
//significant matter// to investigate on this issue than has been raised
heretofore by either the Avebakh interview or in the Kingston/Evans debate.
I also think that another contributor, Larry Parr would concur with this
statement, and Taylor too.

I think that every writer here could agree on the need to make continuous
our investigations, and not make too prescriptive a case before the fact of
a more informed context. This is a modest conclusion, yet our group state of
knowledge is also modest at this time.

Cordially, Phil Innes

Old June 11th 05, 03:46 PM
Mark Houlsby

Phil,

Mark, since when does stalking, taunting and betrayal equate with

'flame-war'?

Neil *already explained to you* how and why it's *not* stalking. It's
not taunting, either: *In response to your specific request* I'm
*inviting* you to put your point-of-view. You keep declining. Why?

And I already answered you with the context to your question on several

occasions.

No, you haven't. Prove me a liar, go on.

It is an example of a method used by essentially childish persons

to not sincerely address any topic, but to put down the person who is
perceived to have some degree of distinction, while gaining a moments
notoriety for one's self in the association.

You mean like your unprovoked and baseless attacks upon Taylor and me?

It's spelt "oneself" BTW....

You can believe whatever you want about Brennen, according to your own wit

and inclination. [I note that he significantly did not take the test]

Perhaps if you gave a straight answer to a straight question once in a
while, he might take it.

Then again, if you gave a straight answer to a straight question once
in a while, he may not need to do that, because your being honest with
*yourself* as well as with *us*, for a change, may prove revelatory for
you.

Why not give it a try? It can't hurt. It's bound to be more
constructive than your habitual, petulant behaviour.

Meanwhile Taylor Kingston has written to me and I have corresponded with

him. I did return him a small selection of his e-mails at his request,
which
I feel are completely consistent with what I wrote here publicly on
Averbakh
and Laurie, and I further offered him that if this statement isn't true
then
he should say so here publicly, and I won't reply.

So does that mean that you will stop defending those basically
dishonest and/or deranged souls like Sam Sloan and Larry Parr when
*they* post *their* many baseless attacks upon whomever they may
please?

Does it also mean that *you* will stop posting baseless attacks upon
people?

I think in as much as either Taylor Kingston or I wish to have a public

debate, we are now done.

I hope so. Do your best not to jump into flame wars on the wrong side,
there's a good chap.

For myself, in terms of Keres/Botvinnik, I think there is much more

//significant matter// to investigate on this issue than has been
raised
heretofore by either the Avebakh interview or in the Kingston/Evans
debate.
I also think that another contributor, Larry Parr would concur with
this
statement, and Taylor too.

Uh huh.

I think that every writer here could agree on the need to make continuous

our investigations, and not make too prescriptive a case before the
fact of
a more informed context. This is a modest conclusion, yet our group
state of
knowledge is also modest at this time.

Uh huh.

You *still* haven't answered the question of why you imported a flame
war from HLAS. Prove me a liar. Go on.

Cordially, Phil Innes

Bitter Lemonly, Mark Houlsby