Old June 14th 05, 01:51 PM

Default Natrol fined $250,000: misleading advertising, excess lead in product

USCF's new Brain Pill partner, Natrol, was fined $250,000 last year for
misleading advertising and having too much lead in their products. For
details, see www.checkmate.us/BrainPill.htm.

Did anyone at the Federation do even the simplest checkup on this
company before signing a deal with them, such as typing their name into
a search engine?

Bill Goichberg

Old June 14th 05, 02:11 PM

On 14 Jun 2005 05:51:54 -0700, wrote:

USCF's new Brain Pill partner, Natrol, was fined $250,000 last year for
misleading advertising and having too much lead in their products. For
details, see
www.checkmate.us/BrainPill.htm.

Did anyone at the Federation do even the simplest checkup on this
company before signing a deal with them, such as typing their name into
a search engine?

Bill Goichberg

Could you please find out:

1. How much money the USCF was paid for this Natrol Demonstration?

2. How much money any director or officer of the USCF was paid for
this Natrol Demonstration?

3. Whether the new USCF Executive Director Bill Hall was previously
employed or connected with Natrol?

Old June 14th 05, 02:14 PM
Mike Murray

On 14 Jun 2005 05:51:54 -0700, wrote:

USCF's new Brain Pill partner, Natrol, was fined $250,000 last year for
misleading advertising and having too much lead in their products. For
details, see
www.checkmate.us/BrainPill.htm.

Did anyone at the Federation do even the simplest checkup on this
company before signing a deal with them, such as typing their name into
a search engine?

Bill Goichberg

I agree. The federation has no business accepting advertising from
what's at best a quack worthless product, at worst harmful. Would we
have tobacco advertising for the kiddies to read in Chess Life?

Besides, aren't we afraid that FIDE will interpret it as
performance-enhancing drug?
Old June 14th 05, 02:26 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
USCF's new Brain Pill partner, Natrol, was fined $250,000 last year for
misleading advertising and having too much lead in their products. For
details, see www.checkmate.us/BrainPill.htm.

Did anyone at the Federation do even the simplest checkup on this
company before signing a deal with them, such as typing their name into
a search engine?

Bill Goichberg
The fact USCF ENDORSED a snake oil supplement when you consider these days of drug testing and illegal substances greatly harming other games, is an almost incomprehensibly stupid move. Anyone making such a decision (apparently Ms. Marinello) doesn't have the common sense one would expect from a rutabaga.
Old June 14th 05, 03:31 PM
[email protected]

Randy,

I have poked you a few times in the past concerning the need
for open governance. I had hoped there might be some chance of
wanting to rejoin the org. While not directly related, I see
this fiasco as a by-product of the org's closed-mentality (in all its
meanings). With FIDE's drug program, chess promotion in schools,
chess as an art, and the company's past, this is, if you'll
excuse the pun, a "no brainer". There is no need for annotations,
the score reads 0-1 with no explanation required.

My questions to you are How did this happen?, What's your opinion?,
Will you open your eyes wider to the need for sunshine?

It's very disappointing.

(sorry BG for using your post; I wanted it kept in this thread)

Old June 14th 05, 04:01 PM
Angelo DePalma

This is not in the least surprising.

The so-called Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 is one of
the worst pieces of legislation ever enacted. I originally lauded it as
pro-consumer, but the supplement makers have used it to make all sorts of
outrageous claims for their products. As I point out over and over in my
book on vitamins and supplements, few of these things actually work. In many
cases their manufacture and quality control are below the standards followed
by the cement industry.

This endorsement is another example of what I have called USCF's
minimum-wage mentality. We have too many small-minded people, with no sense
of what it really takes to move this organization forward, making decisions.
Instead of seeking partnerships that will enhance our standing and promote
chess, we endorse an over-priced "brain pill" which if it worked would
probably be unethical to take. The fact that it's "natural" has no bearing
on its pharmacology: If it has a pharmacologic effect it's a drug, whether
it was synthesized in the lab or extracted from the common cucumber slug.

We should use the upcoming elections to purge this mom-and-pop mentality
from the Executive Board.

Vote for Bill Goichberg!

Angelo

oups.com...

Old June 14th 05, 04:05 PM
[email protected]

Who signed for the USCF?

Old Haasie

Old June 14th 05, 04:23 PM
Ray Gordon

This endorsement is another example of what I have called USCF's
minimum-wage mentality. We have too many small-minded people, with no
sense of what it really takes to move this organization forward, making
decisions.

Because when those types of people show up, they are ridiculed by the very
people who cry out for them, and decide it's not worth the effort.

--
Ray Gordon, Author
http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html

Seduction Made Easy: http://www.cybersheet.com/easy.html
Get this book FREE when you purchase ANY affiliated product!

Visit our FREE SPEECH SEDUCTION REVIEW message boards at:
http://cybersheet.com/eve/ubb.x
Compare over a dozen different seduction e-books and get SME for FREE if you
buy!

http://www.cybersheet.com/chess.html
Free Chess E-book: Train Like A Chess Champion

Don't buy anything from experts who won't debate on a free speech forum.

Old June 14th 05, 04:34 PM
[email protected]

As I point out over and over in my
book on vitamins and supplements, few of these things actually work.
(Angelo DePalma)
=============
Well, Ah bin a takin' a big sup of Okefenokee Elixir ever day an
look whut its a done fer me.

Old Haasie

Old June 14th 05, 06:22 PM
Randy Bauer

In article .com,
says...

Randy,

I have poked you a few times in the past concerning the need
for open governance. I had hoped there might be some chance of
wanting to rejoin the org. While not directly related, I see
this fiasco as a by-product of the org's closed-mentality (in all its
meanings). With FIDE's drug program, chess promotion in schools,
chess as an art, and the company's past, this is, if you'll
excuse the pun, a "no brainer". There is no need for annotations,
the score reads 0-1 with no explanation required.

My questions to you are How did this happen?, What's your opinion?,
Will you open your eyes wider to the need for sunshine?

I'm going to paste here a response I just sent to another person via email
asking for information on this issue:

As way of background, this issue had never been
discussed or voted on by the Executive Board. The
first I knew of it was when the press release showed
up on chess newsgroups. Quite frankly, at that time I
thought it was a hoax. Since, I have responded to
many emails and consistently explained that I believe
this was a mistake and that the USCF should establish
parameters for any partnership or public relations
campaign which are limited to organizations that are
generally engaged in the educational, recreational, or
social aspects of chess promotion.

Clear, that is not the case here. As the father of
two school aged chess playing daughters, I do not
support this sort of marketing of products or the
concept of the USCF as a pill popping purveyor.

I have indicated to other members of the Board that I
would support a motion preventing these sorts of
campaigns in the future, and I would also support
Delegate action at the annual meeting.

It is my understanding that Beatriz authorized this
promotion. We have since spoken about it, she
understands it was a mitake, and we will withdraw from
any further marketing with this firm.

While I do not wish to minimize the mistake that was
made, the contributions that Beatriz has made to the
USCF -- including exercising important leadership when
the organization was at the brink of financial
insolvency -- should not be overlooked either. While
I have no interest in this email being seen as a
campaign mailing, I would hope that other issues
related to financial stewardship would also be weighed
in making decisions on who to support in the campaign
for the Executive Board.

Sincerely,
Randy Bauer

It's very disappointing.

It was a mistake, but I don't think it is because of lack of transparency. As I
note above, this issue was never brought to the attention of the Executive
Board. Part of the problem has been the lack of an Executive Director, and I
believe that had one been in place when this was contemplated, it would not have
been adopted.

Randy Bauer