Old June 14th 05, 03:55 PM
Ray Gordon

Default The age myth in chess has been SHATTERED!!

No, I'm not going to explain why, but I can now say that while it may be
that those who don't make master by age twenty-one will not become a
GM/champion/whatever, that age is not the cause.

I can say this with certainty.

I will say here, however, that those who think older people can't improve at
chess should realize that chess is actually one of the few things that an
older person can improve at.

In high school, I ran the 40-yard dash in about 4.6 seconds (almost a pro
athlete's speed); today I'd be lucky to get it in under 6.0. I ran the 100
in 11, and would be lucky today to break 15. I used to be able to hit a
baseball 350 feet, but would be lucky to break 300 today, and so forth.

But chess? Age makes the mind sharper and much more efficient at processing
information. Life experience reduces impulsivity, and our reflexes barely
slow down (which is why older players dominate blitz tournaments).

So why don't older players improve? Again, IT'S NOT THEIR AGE!!! A
chessplayer should not begin going downhill until he's at least 50, or maybe
even 60. Korchnoi won a top international tournament when he was
SEVENTY-TWO and made the quarterfinals of the Candidates' cycle when he was
fifty-seven.

--
Ray Gordon, Author
http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html

Seduction Made Easy: http://www.cybersheet.com/easy.html
Get this book FREE when you purchase ANY affiliated product!

Visit our FREE SPEECH SEDUCTION REVIEW message boards at:
http://cybersheet.com/eve/ubb.x
Compare over a dozen different seduction e-books and get SME for FREE if you
buy!

http://www.cybersheet.com/chess.html
Free Chess E-book: Train Like A Chess Champion

Don't buy anything from experts who won't debate on a free speech forum.

Old June 14th 05, 09:39 PM
Larry Jordan

What makes my chess go downhill after 50 is that I have:

o alot more to think about (wife, kids, bills, ...)
o alot more physical pain and failing sensory organs (back/knee pain,
prebyopia, slight hearing loss, tinnitus (a real/constant distraction))

When my parents were paying all the bills and school was my
only concern, I had lots of time for chess. Then, life got in the way.

--Larry

Old June 14th 05, 10:46 PM
Matt Nemmers

Ray Gordon wrote:
No, I'm not going to explain why, but I can now say that while it may be
that those who don't make master by age twenty-one will not become a
GM/champion/whatever, that age is not the cause.

I can say this with certainty.

SNIP

But you're not going to explain why or prove your claim in any way,
shape or form.

I'LL tell you something that *I* know for certain: This kind of
ridiculous chop-logic is why you've NEVER won a SINGLE ONE of your
myriad lawsuits.

Do let us know when you've moved out of mother's basement, Perry Mason.

MN

Old June 15th 05, 12:35 AM
EZoto

I'LL tell you something that *I* know for certain: This kind of
ridiculous chop-logic is why you've NEVER won a SINGLE ONE of your
myriad lawsuits.

LOL. I thought you were going to say that he didn't win a single
chess game.

EZoto

Old June 15th 05, 12:57 AM
John J.

Well, Sam, at one time, was a fairly strong chess player. Probably close to
Master strength.

John

news:[email protected] eranews...

Old June 15th 05, 01:55 PM
Member

Ray,

Is what Mr Nemmers say true? Are you living in your mama's basement?
Old June 15th 05, 06:30 PM
Ray Gordon

Ray,

Is what Mr Nemmers say true? Are you living in your mama's basement?

His statement is incorrect.

Your asking me that question however, permanently burns any bridge between
us, because it shows you lack a lot of class.

Old June 15th 05, 07:05 PM
Matt Nemmers

Ray Gordon wrote:
Ray,

Is what Mr Nemmers say true? Are you living in your mama's basement?

His statement is incorrect.

Your asking me that question however, permanently burns any bridge between
us, because it shows you lack a lot of class.

ROFLMFAO!!!

Uncouth Raygordo preaches class when he possesses none of his own.
That, coupled with his blind assumption that this person wanted
anything further to do with him anyway, is truly hilarious.

You're so pathetic, Gordo.

MN

Old June 16th 05, 01:22 AM
Ray Gordon

Uncouth Raygordo preaches class when he none of his own.
That, coupled with his blind assumption that this person wanted
anything further to do with him anyway, is truly hilarious.

You're so pathetic, Gordo.

Oooh your MOUTH is SO TOUGH!

Maybe one day the rest of you will catch up!

Good luck!