Old June 18th 05, 08:51 PM
StanB

Default More excuses from the Dream Team Campaign Manager

posted by Schultz on the FIDE newsgroup-sb

Brain Pill Motion for open explanation results in attempt to fire Secretary
or Archibald Cox revisited!

President Marinello has made a Board motion to remove me as Secretary.
Secretaries are elected by the EB and this would not effect my status as an
EB member but it is a huge unprecedented act.

Here is a copy of her email to the Board: I have placed my replies to her
items of complaint in bold and quotes following each item:

From Beatriz Marinello:

I would like to introduce the following motion to the USCF Executive Board:

Beatriz Marinello:" Move to remove Donald Schultz as USCF Secretary. If
this motion passes it should be
effective immediately." Rationale for Motion:
Mr. Schultz has not dealt with his Secretarial duties in a fair and
impartial matter. An Ethic's complaint

DS: "The filing of an Ethics complaint is not simply an unsubstantiated
complaint by one person."

has
been filled against USCF Secretary Don Schultz. Additionally, recent
events indicate the need to address the issue of having a Secretary that is
in charge of running the election and at the same time acting as a campaign
manager for some candidates running for a position in the USCF Executive
Board.
Here are more detailed explanations on my statement.
1) Back in February 2005, Mr. Schultz ruled initially to accept one of the
candidate' statement after the deadline announced to all candidates for the
submission of their political statements. Once I was informed about this
ruling and I complaint about it, Mr. Schultz changed his ruling in favor of
enforcing the deadlines giving to the candidates.

DS: "That is incorrect. The only ruling I made was not to accept it."

2) The USCF Secretary has the duty to review the list of voters prior to
sending the ballots for the election. There are two issues here which are
very serious:

a) Since Mr. Schultz is not an impartial Secretary, he could share this list
with the candidates he is supporting. At the same time, the other
candidates need to purchase the labels for their mailings, and they do not
get a complete list of eligible voting members since some members request
not to receive mail other than Chess Life Magazine and membership forms.
An investigation should be conducted to determine if Mr Schultz has indeed
acted in unethical fashion by using this privilege of obtaining this
confidential information for this own political agenda and in favor of the
candidates to whom he declares himself the Campaign Manager.

DS: "I don't understand this. The voters are everyone over 16, there are
48,000 of them."

b) The USCF Secretary has the duties of coordinating the logistic for the
election. Mr. Schultz was too busy traveling around the country campaigning
for his candidates that he did not insure that the information given to the
printer with instructions on the procedures for printing and mailing the
ballots was adecuate. This negligent action helped create the mishandling
of the printing of the ballot. Now, we are correcting the mistake, its
costing the USCF around $20,000.-

DS: "The contact with the printer has never been done as far as I know by
the Secretary. That aside the instructions to the printer was fine. The
problem was there are two ink jet printing nozzles used by the printer - one
for the magazine address and one for the verification data on the ballot
inside the magazine. During a run of 5,000 of the magazines the nozzle that
was supposed to print the verification data was turned away at a 90 degree
angle." The printer has conceded that the error was his.

3) The endorsement of candidates by the Secretary is not banned by the USCF
Bylaws. However, Mr. Schultz admitted that he wrote part of Mr. Channing's
political statement for the May and June Chess Life Magazine. Mr. Schultz
admitted putting in Mr. Tanner's
endorsement of Channing using Tanner's title of the Chess Trust Trustee, in
violation of the code of ethics adopted by US Chess Trust in relation with
the USCF election.

Mr. Schultz is not a neutral supervisor of the election and has a clear
conflict of interest. Therefore, Don Schultz should step down as Secretary.

DS: "And the president endorsed candidates using official USCF letterhead
with the USCF logo. She supported candidates while she was acting Chief
Operating Officer something never been done before. Secretaries have
routinely, in the past endorsed and actively supported candidates as have
all Board members."

Please Pat check when the Executive Board members are available for a
conference call.

Thank you,

Beatriz Marinello

US Representatives to FIDE JimEade rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 168 December 17th 05 07:53 PM
Old Fogies on the US Olympiad Team Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 18 September 11th 04 02:03 PM
Old Fogies on the US Olympiad Team Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 20 September 11th 04 02:03 PM
Corruption??: Did the USCF change rules so as to block "Dream Team" from competing? Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 10 March 27th 04 10:19 PM
Corruption??: Did the USCF change rules so as to block "Dream Team" from competing? Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 4 March 27th 04 10:19 PM