Old June 20th 05, 04:04 AM

Default Grudge match -- use the Net

HATE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND

Yes, a match by Net with an arbiter at each end is a reasonable way
to play this match, and Chesstours cannot be criticized for
conditioning its support on such an arrangement.

But there is another side, which is Bill Brock's side.

Mr. Brock has told us that he has seen an analyst over "anger
management" issues, which he expresses in such an antiseptic locution
as to suggest he still has those issues outstanding.

So Mr. Brock wants to hate and get plenty worked up during a
match. I think he has that right without being considered a chicken if
he rejects a Net match.

We are forgetting that this match is supposed to be a GRUDGE
match -- a match predicated on mutual ill-feeling or, at least, mucho
bad vibes from one of the two opponents. The two men ought to face each
other across the board: Brock steaming and ready to play harder than
he ever has before; Sloan, one hopes, without a shower and working up
something resembling hatred in his soul for Mr. Brock. Someone must be
there with a camera.

Hate makes the chess world go round.

I don't believe either man -- and certainly not Sam -- is afraid
to play the match. I suppose that holding it in Mr. Brock's office is
not quite fair to Mr. Sloan, but if there is a plane ride the day
before and a fairish accommodation, then the venue is not such a
terrible thing. Too, Mr. Sloan not only has draw odds, he also
actually stands to lose very little in defeat.

If Mr. Brock wins, nobody here will argue that it impinges on the
issues
surrounding a dream match between NM Taylor Kingston, the 2300+ Elo
head of steam, and 1931-rated Mr. Sloan. On the other hand, if Mr.
Sloan wins a thousand bucks, not only will Mr. Brock be severely
bruised butthe result would suggest why Natrol Master Kingston is
ducking Mr. Sloan.

ADVICE TO SAM SLOAN: Sam, I recognize that as always, you will
permit your enthusiasms to overrule a truly sober evaluation of our
possibilities in the match. Please understand that the venue will
react on you a bit -- playing in Mr. Brock's office. Still, you have
some advantages that I outlined above which are separate from the match
arrangements.

But puhleeeeze, do not accept a situation wherein you take a bus,
stay in some YMCA room and play in Mr. Brock's office. You may not
realize it now, but the psychological burden will hit you pretty hard.

I think a plane ride one day in advance, a Big 8 style motel room
in a safe area, and playing in Mr. Brock's office is not an
unreasonable package, since you have some psychological pluses.

Old June 20th 05, 04:12 AM

Mr. Brock has told us that he has seen an analyst over "anger
management" issues, which he expresses in such an antiseptic locution
as to suggest he still has those issues outstanding.

It was a joke, numbnuts, so I could work in I KICKED FREUD (an anagram
of you-know-what)

Find us another *suitable* site in Chicago: we could play it there.
That would involve work, not hot air, so that would leave ****face Parr
out of the equation.

Nite, all!

Old June 20th 05, 04:14 AM
Randy Bauer

What happened to my match challenge to Sloan? He seems to think he can beat
me - why has this been put on the back burner? I'm willing to put up $500
versus his $500 and play at a neutral site. Hell, I will even get him there,
because I know, in my heart of hearts, that I will not lose a match to an A
player.

Randy Bauer

ups.com...

Old June 20th 05, 07:09 AM

NOT A SPORTING PROPOSITION

Sorry, but on this I agree with Brock. A real chess match involves two
players facing each other across the board. I want to watch my opponent
sweat or his dick get hard as he thinks aboutng sex with Pikachu. Sam
Sloan

Wow! Sam is swinging into the rancid spirit animating this match,
which is based on a derangement of the human spirit among all
concerned. The sponsors, if they stay on board, will get their hatred's
worth.

This is the first really malicious jab that Sam has taken at
porno obsessed CPA Bill Brock. The prospects for this duel becoming a
real grudge affair begin to brighten. I am delighted by Sam's
hardening of attitude. I had begun to worry that he was going to
Chicago a bit too pliant.

No more Mr. Nice Guy from Sam Sloan. From now on, it will be
a duel to the Caissic death with some hope -- given Mr. Brock's claim
to difficulties with "anger management" -- of more in the offing.

Blackburne allegedly and probably apocryphally tossed Steinitz out
a window. In a modern office building a similar attack by Mr. Brock on
Mr. Sloan would result
in far more interesting news footage.

We need beanies, college sweaters, and popcorn, pennants,
peanuts and pom-poms. Thanks go to Tyrone Slothrop, Chesstours, Randy
Bauer, Stan Booz and every other malevolent spirit that has helped to
make this all possible.

THE PASSWORD

But four games in one day at Bill Brock's office if the travel
arrangements are
similarly skewed is not a sporting proposition, though Sam, as
expected, has agreed. Will Sam be flying or taking the bus? Where will
he stay? These facts will determine whether I offer to bet. I don't
know who is a statistical favorite.

Ah, Sam, just go to 118 Woodbourne Ave. over near the U. of
Chicago (a second floor walkup) to pick up the micro-hearing aid with a
hookup to GM Larry Evans in Reno. The password is "Sloanemon." You
just say that word, and the reply will be "Pokebill." You then
respond, "Pikabrach."

Oops. I hope I've not let out any secret.

I agree with Chesstours that it places an undue hardship on him,
and I would not wager under these conditions. So, then, what are the
precise terms of the proposed match as of this writing?

Old June 20th 05, 08:07 AM

Now that we've got a match, I'm happy. I don't really hate Sam (well,
not that much), or you. Just needed to keep you folks occupied during
the election--what do you think this has all been about?--and it's too
late to back out without losing face.

Sorry about the "****face," Larry--one does what one needs to do to
close the deal. Dickhead? Perhaps...but ****face is too harsh.

If Sam wins the match and gets $1,000 for his family, there's an
unexpected benefit for him.

If I win, the money goes to charity--that's OK, too.

What's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

;-)

Blackburne allegedly and probably apocryphally tossed Steinitz out
a window. In a modern office building a similar attack by Mr. Brock on

Mr. Sloan would result in far more interesting news footage.

Article 12: The conduct of the players
12.1 The players shall take no action that will bring the game of
chess into disrepute.

[...]

12.5 It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner
whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims or offers of a draw.

12.6 Infraction of any part of the Articles 12.1 to 12.5 shall lead to
penalties in accordance with Article 13.4.

12.7 Persistent refusal by a player to comply with the Laws of Chess
shall be penalised by loss of the game. The arbiter shall decide the
score of the opponent.

12.8 If both players are found guilty according to Article 12.7, the
game shall be declared lost by both players.

Old June 20th 05, 08:20 AM
Paul Rubin

" writes:
12.8 If both players are found guilty according to Article 12.7, the
game shall be declared lost by both players.

So if all 4 games are double forfeit and the final score is 0-0, does
Sloan win the match because of the draw odds?
Old June 20th 05, 11:05 AM

A SMALLER POT

Simple: we could play for a smaller pot. Bill Brock

The match terms are fast becoming these: Sam Sloan to take a
bus, to play immediately after all night trip, to play four games in a
day, to stay in no clearly defined facility, and possibly to play for
no remunerative prize fund.

No wonder Chesstours pulled out in favor of a Net
confrontation!

Alas, I predict -- knowing Sam -- that he will accept even this.
Whereupon, the terms will be tightened still further.

Finally, Sam will say no. Then will come the chorus from NM
Kingston, Bill Brock, Stan Booz and others that Sam chickened out. One
will hear from 2300+ Elo powerhouse NM Kingston that he would have
played except one Sam cannot rely on Sam to accept offers.

Something like that.

What the party line shift.

Old June 20th 05, 05:44 PM
Paul Rubin

"Taylor Kingston" writes:
You have a very strange way of putting things, Larry. "Ducking" Mr.
Sloan? Here in Vermont we have many dairy farms. Manure, a natural
by-product of the dairy biz, collects in large quantities. Neither I,
nor anyone else I know, goes out of his way to spend hours sitting
beside one of these manure piles. Yet none of us have never been
accused of "ducking" the pile.

You are right, you're not a duck at all. Chicken.