Old June 20th 05, 03:25 PM
Tyrone Slothrop

Default Calling Chicago-based RGCP'ers! Need an arbiter for the 1st Annual RGCP Grudge Match (June 26)

Chicago-based RGCP'ers! Kevin Bachelor and others!

We now are seeking a trustworthy and neutral arbiter for the 1st Annual
RGCP Grudge Match, June 26, 2005 in Chicago at Bill Brock's office.

Besides faithfully applying the "USCF's Official Rules of Chess, 5th
edition", and the special match rules, the arbiter's other two duties
will be to:
- Hold the prize fund and disburse it to the winner or the winner's
designated recipients
- Enter the game moves into ICC in realtime during the game play

In addition to the fame on RGCP that comes from being the arbiter of
the 1st Grudge Match that has ever come to fruition on RGCP there may
be a small honorarium that will be given for this duty (this needs to
be worked out).

Here again are the revised match terms.

FIRST ANNUAL RGCP GRUDGE MATCH:
Sloan vs. Brock in Chicago, draw odds to Sloan

MATCH TERMS (ver. 3):

Venue: Offices of William H. Brock, Ltd.
(address found he
http://www.billbrock.net/conta=ADct.html)
Playing room: Bill Brock's 4th floor conference room
Date: June 26, 2005
Match Schedule: Round 1: 10 a.m.
Round 2: 1 p.m.
Round 3: 4 p.m. (if necessary)
Round 4: 7 p.m. (if necessary)
Prize Fund: $1000, Winner takes all
Match Arbiter: ???? (we need an arbiter!)
Match Conditions: Winner is the first person to
2.0 (if Sloan) or 2.5 (if Brock)
Time Controls: G/75 (+ 5" Bronstein)
Match Rules: USCF's Official Rules of Chess,
5th edition
Rules of Note: 1. No cellphones
2. No baby in playing room
3. Baby at venue, outside of playing
room, only if accompanied by another
adult person (e.g., babysitter)
4. Restroom runs only when accompanied
by match arbiter
Other: 1. Sam Sloan will be provided $350-worth
of RT airfare to Chicago and
accommodations for the evening of
June 25, 2005
2. An small honorarium may be supplied
to the arbiter (details to be worked
out)
3. Arbiter would be holder of the $1000
prize fund and would handle the
disbursement thereof
4. Arbiter would enter the moves as
played into ICC
5. Coffee/water to be supplied by Bill
Brock
6. Game scores to be published to RGCP

Old June 20th 05, 05:50 PM
Paul Rubin

"Tyrone Slothrop" writes:
Match Schedule: Round 1: 10 a.m.
Round 2: 1 p.m.
Round 3: 4 p.m. (if necessary)
Round 4: 7 p.m. (if necessary)

Oh man, no breaks. I hope that arbiter doesn't have to actually stay
in the restroom booth during #2.

4. Restroom runs only when accompanied
by match arbiter

This should at least be suspended between rounds, if games end quick
enough. Also, note that the Bronstein delay means some rounds may
take over 3 hours. Has anyone ever played a tournament or match
at that TC with that schedule? Maybe you really want to go to G/60.

4. Arbiter would enter the moves as
played into ICC

Someone else should do this.

5. Coffee/water to be supplied by Bill Brock

There needs to be a runner to pick up sandwiches and stuff as requested.

6. Game scores to be published to RGCP

Spectators?
Old June 20th 05, 06:07 PM
Mark Houlsby

Spectators?

On ICC....

Old June 21st 05, 12:00 AM
Vince Hart

Trustworthy can probably be managed, but I cannot think of many
Chicagoans who would not be rooting for Bill and I cannot think of many
RCCP'ers who would not be rooting against Sam.

Vince Hart

Old June 21st 05, 12:14 AM

BROCK'S HOME COURT ADVANTAGE

Trustworthy can probably be managed, but I cannot think of many
Chicagoans who would not be rooting for Bill and I cannot think of many
RCCP'ers who would not be rooting against Sam. Vince Hart

In addition to the expense and burden of Sam Sloan going to
Chicago, this is another good reason to hold the match over the Net
with witnesses at both ends of the board. If this sensible method is
adopted, as suggested by Paul Rubin, Chesstours will honor its pledge
of $200 towards the prize fund.

Old June 21st 05, 12:20 AM
Tyrone Slothrop

The arbiter should be honest and attempt to carry out his duties (with
regards to the rules) faithfully and without bias. Both players should
agree to the choice arbiter. That is all we can ask for.

Do you want to nominate someone? Yourself perhaps?

Old June 21st 05, 12:30 AM

I have already stated that Sloan's choice, Kevin Bachler, is acceptable.

Old June 21st 05, 12:36 AM
Vince Hart

I am available and willing to serve, but I have little expectation that
I would be an acceptable choice.

Vince Hart

Old June 21st 05, 12:40 AM
Vince Hart

I think Kevin is at a chess camp in Minnesota that runs through Friday.

Vince Hart

Old June 21st 05, 02:38 AM
Paul Rubin

" writes:
Trustworthy can probably be managed, but I cannot think of many
Chicagoans who would not be rooting for Bill and I cannot think of many
RCCP'ers who would not be rooting against Sam. Vince Hart

In addition to the expense and burden of Sam Sloan going to
Chicago, this is another good reason to hold the match over the Net
with witnesses at both ends of the board. If this sensible method is
adopted, as suggested by Paul Rubin, Chesstours will honor its pledge
of $200 towards the prize fund.

Sloan might not be so popular in New York either though. And anyway,
a match over the net doesn't seem to fit the purposes here (i.e. the
participants and sponsors don't want it). It's good for obtaining a
chess result, but nobody would want to hold a world championship that
way. I think Chesstours should stick with its original pledge.

I would still like to know whether anyone has ever played a serious
tournament or match with the schedule and TC's proposed for this match.