Old June 21st 05, 01:46 PM
Taylor Kingston

Default What is Parr's rating? (was: Pig-wrestling in Chicago)

The Historian wrote:
I can't see why Bill
Brock chooses to mud-wrestle a pig; it only pleases the pig. There are
so many better things to do with the money now being spent to move
chess-offal to Chicago.

Speaking of mud-wrestling, has Larry Parr ever had a USCF rating?
Checking both www.uschess.org and old copies of Chess Life from the
time he was editor, I can't find any rating for any Larry or Lawrence
Parr. Anyone know anything on this?

Old June 21st 05, 01:49 PM
Mark Houlsby

A low blow, Taylor. Do you really wish to appear as bad as Sloan,
Innes, Parr, Jerzy Ciruk, Jason Repa,....?

Just my two cents.

Regards,
Mark

Old June 21st 05, 01:57 PM
Taylor Kingston

Mark Houlsby wrote:
A low blow, Taylor. Do you really wish to appear as bad as Sloan,
Innes, Parr, Jerzy Ciruk, Jason Repa,....?

Mark, at your request I no longer intrude on your flame wars, so
please don't impede my historical research. Besides, according to Parr,
I am already far worse than the above-named personages. ;-)
I repeat my question: has Larry Parr ever had a USCF rating, normal
OTB, quick, postal, or otherwise?

Old June 21st 05, 02:07 PM
Mark Houlsby

Noted. I shall not. Research away.

Regards,
Mark

Old June 21st 05, 02:17 PM
Jerzy

Taylor Kingston wrote :
Mark Houlsby wrote:

A low blow, Taylor. Do you really wish to appear as bad as Sloan,
Innes, Parr, Jerzy Ciruk, Jason Repa,....?

Looks like Mark Troll Hooligan Houlsby has escaped my KF :-)

Mark, at your request I no longer intrude on your flame wars, so
please don't impede my historical research. Besides, according to Parr,
I am already far worse than the above-named personages. ;-)
I repeat my question: has Larry Parr ever had a USCF rating, normal
OTB, quick, postal, or otherwise?

A contradictory statement Taylor. First you claim you don`t want to
participate in another flame war and secondly you start anoher flame
thread ;-)

Old June 21st 05, 02:29 PM
Taylor Kingston

Jerzy wrote:
A contradictory statement Taylor. First you claim you don`t want to
participate in another flame war and secondly you start anoher flame
thread ;-)

No flames here, Jerzy. Just a question: Has Larry Parr ever had a
USCF rating, normal OTB, quick, postal, or otherwise?
Maybe you can help, Jerzy. Was Parr ever rated in Polish chess?

Old June 21st 05, 03:15 PM
Randy Bauer

In article . com, Taylor
Kingston says...

Mark Houlsby wrote:
A low blow, Taylor. Do you really wish to appear as bad as Sloan,
Innes, Parr, Jerzy Ciruk, Jason Repa,....?

Mark, at your request I no longer intrude on your flame wars, so
please don't impede my historical research.

Ok, that sentence made me laugh.

I probably shouldn't say this without verifying it on Google, but I seem to
recall that Larry Parr has regularly admitted to no great chessplaying skill. I
will however, retract that statement if somebody knows differently. That view,
by the way, in no way is meant to reflect poorly on Mr. Parr. Most of my better
friends have no great chessplaying skill.

Randy Bauer

Old June 21st 05, 03:18 PM
Randy Bauer

In article , Jerzy says...

Taylor Kingston wrote :
Mark Houlsby wrote:

A low blow, Taylor. Do you really wish to appear as bad as Sloan,
Innes, Parr, Jerzy Ciruk, Jason Repa,....?

Looks like Mark Troll Hooligan Houlsby has escaped my KF :-)

Mark, at your request I no longer intrude on your flame wars, so
please don't impede my historical research. Besides, according to Parr,
I am already far worse than the above-named personages. ;-)
I repeat my question: has Larry Parr ever had a USCF rating, normal
OTB, quick, postal, or otherwise?

A contradictory statement Taylor. First you claim you don`t want to
participate in another flame war and secondly you start anoher flame
thread ;-)

Does it have to be? As far as I can tell, it was a question that may have a
simple answer. The information alone isn't really flammable, unless you're a
Jason Repa type who wishes to somehow infer that chess strength and general
intelligence are one and the same. I doubt that Mr. Kingston believes this. I
know I do not.

Randy Bauer

Old June 21st 05, 03:57 PM
Mark Houlsby

For the record, it made *me* laugh, too.

Mark Houlsby

Old June 21st 05, 04:35 PM
Duncan Oxley

I think I remember (or perhaps someone else writing here said)
that Parr's rating was "approximately" 2000. Maybe Louis Blair
can dig that up.

This is hillarious: http://tinyurl.com/e2f7e

Duncan