Old June 22nd 05, 10:39 PM
Angelo DePalma

Default Database?

Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
the Shredder engine for analysis?

Thanks.

Old June 22nd 05, 11:35 PM
Matt Nemmers

Angelo DePalma wrote:
Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
the Shredder engine for analysis?

Thanks.

This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

Nevertheless -- and though you may know this already -- the Pittsburgh
Chess Club has probably the most extensive number of files I've seen on
the net. Check it out at
http://www.pitt.edu/~schach/Archives/index2.html.

Sorry if this is old news.

Regards,

Matt

Old June 22nd 05, 11:40 PM
Paul Rubin

"Matt Nemmers" writes:
This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

I think he's looking for software, not game scores.
Old June 22nd 05, 11:59 PM
Mike Nolan

Paul Rubin writes:

"Matt Nemmers" writes:
This is kind of confusing. What exactly are you looking for, Angie? A
database of PGN files? Not quite sure....

I think he's looking for software, not game scores.

I think he's looking for FREE software.
--
Mike Nolan
Old June 23rd 05, 12:00 AM
StanB

Fritz?

Old June 23rd 05, 02:04 AM
Tom Klem

Speaking of databases.

Mike,

Can you give us a URL which is the data dictionary with comments for the
Gold and updates data?

Tom Klem

Old June 23rd 05, 04:43 AM
Vladyslav Kosulin

Angelo DePalma wrote:
Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
the Shredder engine for analysis?

Thanks.

Well, Chess Assistant can read both cbf and cbh with some limitations (training, keys), and can use Shredder UCI.

Regards,
Vlad
Old June 23rd 05, 05:16 AM

Does anyone know of a non-ChessBase database that reads CB files and can use
the Shredder engine for analysis?

So, you're giving up on getting your copy of CB to run properly
Angelo? Well, we've been over that before.

I don't think there is any other program which will read CBH format
files and allow analysis by Shredder. If you want an alternative,
you're going to have to make some compromises. Here's one idea: there
is a full-featured FREE database program called SCID. You can find it
he

http://scid.sourceforge.net/

SCID will not read CBH files but it can handle PGN (it comes with a
tool for converting PGN to its own SCID format). So, you can first
convert your CB files to PGN. In CB, just go CONTROL/X and give the new
database a file extension of .pgn. You can then drag other databases
into it to convert them. Then import them into SCID and convert them
again. I would not recommend trying this for a very large database but
for a few hundred games it should be OK. If you want a big million-game
reference database, the SCID site may offer one for sale in that
format.

As for engine analysis, my guess is the Shredder engine will not
work with SCID, though you could try it and see. The SCID web site
gives links to a number of free engines (like Crafty), which while not
as strong or full-featured as Shredder, can still be used to help
analyze your games.

I still think it would be simpler just to get your CB working
properly but if you are determined to give up, the above information
may be of use to you.

Regards, Hal Terrie

Old June 23rd 05, 03:18 PM
rt

wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

UCI engines can be used with Scid according "Using UCI engines
in Scid via Polyglot" on this web page.

http://home20.inet.tele.dk/larsp/skak/polyglot.html

The Polyglot link is at the left side of the downloads page at
the site linked from the "Using UCI engines in Scid via
Polyglot" web page. I had to right click the download links.
Left click didn't work in my browser, IE6.0. The files are rar
archives. If you don't have a rar extractor, a free one is
available he

http://www.extractnow.com/

The million-game reference database may not be available at the
Scid site. Shane hasn't been heard from since last year. There
is a new Scid forum at

http://newscid.proboards29.com/index.cgi

and a new Scid development site at

http://scid.skjoldebrand.org/index.php?id=90&type=1

rt
Old June 23rd 05, 04:21 PM
George John

The following is a bit off topic, but I think may be worth mentioning.

If you search for "Chess Club" using Google, the
http://www.pitt.edu/~schach/ URL (University of Pittsburg Chess Club)
comes up number three behind www.chessclub.com (Internet Chess Club)
and www.ex.ac.uk/~dregis/DR (Exeter Chess Club).

This excellent ranking may be due to the archive of games Matt just
mentioned. My guess is there are a lot of links to this URL for this
reason.

Now compare this to the USCF's ranking.

I found www.uschess.org/clubs/ on the 19th *page*. With 10 entries per
page, that ranks the USCF's club in 189th place.

Admittedly, the USCF isn't a "chess club", but it is (or at least
should be) a gateway to help people find chess clubs where they can
play.

One key (if not the key) in getting an early listing in Google searches
is to have many websites linked to a site. Two ways to do that is to
ask Webmasters to link to a site. The other is to create great free
content so that Webmasters will add links to it on their own.

Google searches (I posted some results in a different posting on rgcp)
might suggest how well the USCF has succeeded in this area.

Yes I know, just staying alive has been both a struggle and the primary
focus for the USCF for many years now. But, perhaps if the good
financial performance, that we have seen under the Marinello
admininistration, can continue under the next administration (whose
will it be?), perhaps the USCF Website can the extra attention I think
it needs and deserves.

Best regards,

George John