Old August 20th 05, 03:36 AM

Default Frank Niro 2003 Letter of Intent on Crossville move

www.uschess.org
U.S. Chess Federation

June 10, 2003

Greater Cumberland County Chamber of Commerce
Ms. Beth Alexander
34 South Main Street
Crossville, Tennessee 38555

LETTER OF INTENT

The United States Chess Federation (USCF) is a 501(c)(4) membership
organization created in 1939 to broaden and develop chess in the U.S.
as art and recreation. The USCF accomplishes this objective by
cooperating with schools, colleges, hospitals, military bases,
community centers, recreation departments and others in teaching
chess, conducting tournaments and related activities. In addition,
the. USCF disseminates information about chess through its
publications and representatives.

As of April 30, 2003, the USCF has 96,881 members. Substantially all
of these members pay annual dues ranging between $12 and $45. Of
these, 10,633 are life members who have prepaid their memberships in
accordance with published payment schedules.

The USCF headquarters are presently located in New Windsor, New York.
In order to implement the organization's strategic objectives,
management and the governing body have determined that it is desirable
to relocate the headquarters to a new location. Accordingly, the USCF
Executive Board voted on June 9, 2003 to relocate to Crossville,
Tennessee, pending sale of the existing property and transfer of
approximately three (3) acres of land on O'Brien Drive in Crossville
for the purpose of constructing the new USCF headquarters on that
land. It is our expectation, based on discussions with community
representatives, that the City of Crossville will make a donation of
the required site to the USCF and that all necessary site preparation,
including access to pertinent public utilities, will be made on our
behalf by the City of Crossville.

The USCF presently employees 42 full and part time employees and
anticipates that 12 to 14 of the existing employees will relocate to
the Crossville area. Additionally, the USCF expects to hire between 20
and 30 new employees from the local workforce. The USCF total payroll
and benefits paid during calendar 2002 exceeded $1,500,000.

In order to support its mission, the USCF sells chess books and
equipment to its members and others by mail order catalog as well as
via the Internet and on-site concession sales at various major chess
tournaments that it sponsors around the country. During the most
recently completed fiscal year ended May 31, 2003, total sales of
books and equipment exceeded $2,600,000. It is anticipated that future
inventories supporting this sales activity will be warehoused in and
shipped from Crossville.

As you may know, the USCF considered expressions of interest and/or
proposals from more than 30 communities located throughout the United
States. After concluding its rigorous selection process, we are
confident that Crossville, Tennessee is the best location for the USCF
headquarters throughout the foreseeable future. We are convinced that
you agree.

We appreciate the generosity, personal warmth and commitment to the
game of chess shown to each of our representatives during our site
review and investigation visits. We look forward to making a
contribution to the growth and stability of Crossville and Cumberland
County during the coming years.

Sincerely Yours,

Frank A. Niro
Executive Director

uscf

www.uschess.org 845.562.8350 - FAX 845.561.CHES (2437)
3054 U.S. ROUTE 9W, NEW WINDSOR, NY 12553