Old August 21st 05, 03:52 PM
BrotherNehoc

Default What is Chess to you?

All of the following have been said:

Chess is a game. Chess is a sport. Chess is art. Chess is life.
Chess is a passion.

So I ask, what is chess to you?

Best "Chess" Regards,
Larry Cohen

Old August 21st 05, 05:06 PM
irvin

A game.

Chess is no sport: Anatoly Karpov is NOT an "athlete". Chess is not art:
Petrosian is not an "artist", and neither is Joel Benjamin. Chess is
obviously not "life". And yes, chess can be a passion, I guess.

But, first and foremost, chess is a beautiful GAME.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

oups.com...

Old August 21st 05, 05:14 PM

I thinking calling chess a sport is ridiculous too, while agreeing it
is a beautiful game.

But one thing I always wondered, since we humans think by analogy: what
sport does chess most resemble, if it were classified with the physical
games?

My thought has always been baseball, but I am sure others will somehow
find offense with that....

Old August 21st 05, 05:18 PM
irvin

It's hard to compare chess with ANY sport, because sports have a major
physical ingredient lacking in chess. But, as far as the need for strategy,
I'd say boxing, because it's ferocious one-on-one, with constant adjusting
and re-adjusting, trying to take advantage of any errors by the opponent.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

oups.com...

Old August 21st 05, 06:08 PM
Catalan

"irvin" wrote in message

A game.

Chess is no sport: Anatoly Karpov is NOT an "athlete". .

But, first and foremost, chess is a beautiful GAME.

So is football, baseball, and basketball.

Old August 21st 05, 06:36 PM
irvin

Yes, Cat, those are games and also sports. Chess is just a game (a beautiful
one, btw).

--
Irvin
-------------------------

Old August 21st 05, 07:00 PM

It is probably wisest to say that chess is a game with artistic,
scientific, and physical components. But chess is not science, nor is
it art, nor is it sport....

Of course boxing has been called "the sweet science".....

Old August 21st 05, 07:02 PM
Jerzy

"BrotherNehoc" wrote
oups.com...
All of the following have been said:

Chess is a game. Chess is a sport. Chess is art. Chess is life.
Chess is a passion.

So I ask, what is chess to you?

Chess is FUN ! :-)

Old August 21st 05, 07:05 PM
irvin

wrote in message
ups.com...
It is probably wisest to say that chess is a game with artistic,
scientific, and physical components. But chess is not science, nor is
it art, nor is it sport....

Very well said.

Of course boxing has been called "the sweet science".....

Yep.

As a metaphor or form of expression, it's ok: "Michael Jordan is an artist
of the basketball court", but as you rightfully point out, that doesn't make
basketball "art".

--
Irvin