Old August 26th 05, 03:53 AM
Angelo DePalma

Default Cluck

Nothing much to post on these days. Everyone seems to be on vacation.
Including Sam Sloan, who is too flippin scared to play me in a thematic odds
match with his beloved Damiano "defense" on the line.

I invite comments as to why Herr Doktor Sloan has refused my invitation.
I've offered to play at any reasonable point between western NJ and
Brooklyn.

I think he's just scared. Cluck.

adp

Old August 26th 05, 02:51 PM

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:53:33 -0400, "Angelo DePalma"
wrote:

Nothing much to post on these days. Everyone seems to be on vacation.
Including Sam Sloan, who is too flippin scared to play me in a thematic odds
match with his beloved Damiano "defense" on the line.

I invite comments as to why Herr Doktor Sloan has refused my invitation.
I've offered to play at any reasonable point between western NJ and
Brooklyn.

I think he's just scared. Cluck.

adp

I am ready to play if you can find a place.

Unfortunately, Hackettstown is a three hour trip each way or a total
of six hours.

The lady at the Marshall Chess Club does not like me so we cannot play
there.

A public park is undesirable.

The Manhattan Chess Club is out of business.

I know of no other place.

Besides which you are still not wiling to have it fully rated by the
USCF. Why are you afraid of losing all those rating points?

Admittedlty it will be bad for your reputation to lose5-0 to the
Damiano's Defense.

Old August 26th 05, 05:52 PM

Besides which you are still not wiling to have it fully rated by the
USCF. Why are you afraid of losing all those rating points?

That seemed settled to me. He wanted an odds match (which would prove
his point even better), and USCF doesn't rate those.

Old August 26th 05, 08:50 PM

On 26 Aug 2005 09:52:56 -0700, "
wrote:

Besides which you are still not wiling to have it fully rated by the
USCF. Why are you afraid of losing all those rating points?

That seemed settled to me. He wanted an odds match (which would prove
his point even better), and USCF doesn't rate those.

Yes it does.

Mike Goodall holds a King's Gambit Tournament every year in San
Francisco. It is fully USCF rated and very successful.

Old August 26th 05, 09:56 PM
Catalan

"Sam Sloan" wrote in message

The lady at the Marshall Chess Club does not like me so we cannot play
there.

Chuckle.

Old August 26th 05, 11:08 PM

Sam, please take the time to read what I wrote. I said the USCF doesn't
rate odds games.

I know it rates thematic tournaments as I have ran a few myself. And I
suppose that they would rate a thematic match as well, although I
wonder if they might have trouble with one player always having black
in a match...

Old August 28th 05, 04:23 AM
Eric Mark

wrote:

Nothing much to post on these days. Everyone seems to be on vacation.
Including Sam Sloan, who is too flippin scared to play me in a thematic odds
match with his beloved Damiano "defense" on the line.

I invite comments as to why Herr Doktor Sloan has refused my invitation.
I've offered to play at any reasonable point between western NJ and
Brooklyn.

I think he's just scared. Cluck.

adp

I am ready to play if you can find a place.

Unfortunately, Hackettstown is a three hour trip each way or a total
of six hours.

Where the heck do you live these days, Sam? If you still live in NYC,
this can't be true. You can catch a non-stop bus each day at 1:05 p.m.
from the Port Authority Bus Terminal to Main St. in Hackettstown It's
a 65-minute ride. (On a good day with no traffic you can drive it in an
hour.) From where the bus drops you off, you can walk to either the
town's community center or the palatial residence of Ken Thomas.

The lady at the Marshall Chess Club does not like me so we cannot play
there.

Maybe if you purchased a membership?

A public park is undesirable.

You don't Angelo very well, obviously.

The Manhattan Chess Club is out of business.

I know of no other place.

Besides which you are still not wiling to have it fully rated by the
USCF. Why are you afraid of losing all those rating points?

Admittedlty it will be bad for your reputation to lose 5-0 to the
Damiano's Defense.

Sam Sloan

No way in hell you will win 5-0, but since I personally watched you
take apart that poor 1900-rated kid at the World Open two years ago, I
won't bet big bucks that Angelo wins 5-0 either.

The Damiano is a decent practical gamble for those with a high risk
threshold and a strong sense of adventure and the absurd. There are
ways for White to screw up, especially if he does not know the theory
and assumes he is playing a beginner or a madman. (I once played an
early d4??? as White, trapping my Queen to ...Bd6, in an online blitz
game). But if White knows or finds h4, Bxb7, and Qa5, then Black is
busted. It's that simple.

Regards,
Eric M

Old August 28th 05, 04:40 AM
Eric Mark

wrote:

[...]

This should read "You don't know Angelo very well, obviously." The
concept of "Angelo" as a dance move bewitched me for the moment.

Old August 28th 05, 05:47 AM
Angelo DePalma

If Sam lives out by Coney Island or JFK it will take an hour for him to get
to the Port Authority terminal, where he'll have to wait for his bus, which
during the week can take 2 hours to get to H'town.

"Eric Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 29th 05, 01:12 AM
Eric Mark

Angelo DePalma wrote:
If Sam lives out by Coney Island or JFK it will take an hour for him to get
to the Port Authority terminal, where he'll have to wait for his bus, which
during the week can take 2 hours to get to H'town.

Not at 1:05 p.m. it won't. The 1:05 Martz Trailways bus runs non-stop
from the Port Authority to Main Street in Hackettstown. Also if Sam
lives in Queens or LI and has a car, or can find someone to drive him,
all he has to do is to get to the GW bridge and shoot straight on in on
I-80. Also there is passenger train service to Hackettstown.

Maybe you guys can play your match at Ken Thomas'
last-Saturday-of-the-month Quads, which are held a few miles closer to
NYC.

Do you plan to play 12. e5 or 12. Nc3, or perhaps you have a secret
weapon? It's too comolicated for me to figure out; then again I missed
making Mensa by one IQ point....