Old August 27th 05, 11:04 PM
The Historian

Default PSCF Looks for New Editor for Pennswoodpusher

From the minutes of the PSCF Annual Meeting, July 16, 2005, in State
College:

"Although not an elected position, Pennswoodpusher editor Neil
Brennen has indicated that he would like to step down from that post
in the next year or so. President [Thomas] Martinak encouraged anyone
interested in the position to contact the PSCF."

Old August 28th 05, 01:15 AM
Mike Murray

On 27 Aug 2005 15:04:47 -0700, "The Historian"
wrote:

From the minutes of the PSCF Annual Meeting, July 16, 2005, in State

College:

"Although not an elected position, Pennswoodpusher editor Neil
Brennen has indicated that he would like to step down from that post
in the next year or so. President [Thomas] Martinak encouraged anyone
interested in the position to contact the PSCF."

Rumor has it that a certain Serbian journalist has expressed interest,
if he could work from home.
Old August 28th 05, 02:31 AM
The Historian

Mike Murray wrote:
On 27 Aug 2005 15:04:47 -0700, "The Historian"
wrote:

From the minutes of the PSCF Annual Meeting, July 16, 2005, in State

College:

"Although not an elected position, Pennswoodpusher editor Neil
Brennen has indicated that he would like to step down from that post
in the next year or so. President [Thomas] Martinak encouraged anyone
interested in the position to contact the PSCF."

Rumor has it that a certain Serbian journalist has expressed interest,
if he could work from home.

That Serbian is free to apply for the job, and since he's emailed
Martinak before about firing me, he knows how to reach Tom.

http://pkchess.bizland.com/goran/point.html

Old August 28th 05, 04:08 AM
Eric Mark

The Historian wrote:
From the minutes of the PSCF Annual Meeting, July 16, 2005, in State

College:

"Although not an elected position, Pennswoodpusher editor Neil
Brennen has indicated that he would like to step down from that post
in the next year or so. President [Thomas] Martinak encouraged anyone
interested in the position to contact the PSCF."

Too bad. Neil has done a very good job with the PWP overall. It's now
worth the $5 PSCF dues just to get the newsletter---it's not fair to
call it a magazine. I hope this is not politics of some kind. A few
months back, just before the EB campaign hit full steam, there was a
campaign ad for the Marinello slate---I think but am not certain it was
full-page--that was perhaps not as clearly marked "paid advertisement"
as some might have wished.

In any case, Neil has worked hard for free because he believed in what
he was doing, as far as I can see. I'm sorry to see him go. For his
farewell issue, perhaps we should compile a retrograde analysis piece
on who would have won a chess match between Christopher Marlowe and the
Earl of Oxford.

Sorry I can't help with that: My British is rusty....Eric M

Old August 28th 05, 05:02 AM
Tom Martinak

Too bad. Neil has done a very good job with the PWP overall. It's now
worth the $5 PSCF dues just to get the newsletter

Yes, we here in PA have all been very happy with Neil's efforts and I
would personally like to thank him for all the work he has put into PWP
over the last 4 years. And, as I'm sure he knows, while I'm still
President he's welcome to continue as long as he wants. But it does
consume a lot of time and emotional effort to put out a quality
newsletter, so it is understandable that we need more people to help
bear that load. Organizations like the PSCF can only survive and thrive
with the help of many volunteers. If we force too few to carry too
heavy of a load, we will surely burn them out. Neil has been very
successful in cultivating many new contributors, so when a successor is
eventually found, his task will be made much easier. And hopefully, we
will continue to get many more interesting PA historical articles from
Neil for a long time to come. (Hint: Have anything for the upcoming
PSCF Annual?)

- Tom Martinak

Old August 28th 05, 05:55 AM

The main requirement for a state eyecandy chess editor is one who
will publish his own games at the expense of other more deserving
players and one who will give himself many "!!!" moves along the way.
It's called the "State Chess Newsletter Editor Syndrome."

Old Haasie

Old August 28th 05, 06:01 AM
The Historian

Tom Martinak wrote:
[...]

Yes Tom. Please don't crack the whip again. :-)

Old August 28th 05, 06:29 AM
The Historian

Goran Tomic wrote:
"The Histerian" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike Murray wrote:
On 27 Aug 2005 15:04:47 -0700, "The Historian"
wrote:

From the minutes of the PSCF Annual Meeting, July 16, 2005, in State
College:

"Although not an elected position, Pennswoodpusher editor Neil
Brennen has indicated that he would like to step down from that post
in the next year or so. President [Thomas] Martinak encouraged anyone
interested in the position to contact the PSCF."

Rumor has it that a certain Serbian journalist has expressed interest,
if he could work from home.

That Serbian is free to apply for the job, and since he's emailed
Martinak before about firing me, he knows how to reach Tom.

http://pkchess.bizland.com/goran/point.html

Well, I think that my article is very good and I'm glad that they PSCF
followed my idea. Better ever than never.

Who in their right mind thinks that PSCF is following your idea? The
minutes state: "Pennswoodpusher editor Neil Brennen has indicated that
he would like to step down from that post in the next year or so."
This is clearly MY decision.

Old August 28th 05, 06:56 AM
The Historian

The main requirement for a state eyecandy chess editor is one who
will publish his own games at the expense of other more deserving
players and one who will give himself many "!!!" moves along the way.
It's called the "State Chess Newsletter Editor Syndrome."

Old Haasie

I thank Old Hasbeen for his many remarks along those lines over the
years. I tried to put his negativity to good use, as shown below.

*************************
From the Winter 2003 PWP Letters to the Editor column:

(The following is from the newsgroup rec.games.chess.politics -editor)

Neil,

I won't be upset. Post your own games if you wish. Add dozens of !!!!
moves to dress them up, too. Here we are not paying a membership fee to
see a state editor steal space from more worthy players in order to
parade his ego around. So, fire away with your Dutch victories. After
you've gone to all that time and trouble, no one will play over your
games.

RSHaas

(We think Mr. Haas is confused. Our records show TWO Brennen games
published since 2002, one of them a loss. We've also published more
than 120 other games, positions, and problems during that time....
-editor)

From the Spring 2004 Letters to the Editor column:

(The publication of a newsgroup post critical of the Editorial
direction of The Pennswoodpusher produced a number of interesting

In the November The Pennswoodpusher, a reader complained about seeing
our editor's games in print. Having been in Neil's shoes for over 23
years as editor of The Pennswoodpusher, I can sympathize with Neil's
dilemma. If enough games are not submitted (note Neil's comment from
the PA Senior Open), then space still needs to be filled. I do not
always agree with Neil's choice of material tending towards historical
matters and against modern material/reviews/games. However, until the
readers submit their own games, they are stuck! The editor cannot
manufacture interesting games (Well, maybe he can, but that would not
be ethical.) So, if you want different games to appear, send them in.

Ira Lee Riddle,
former editor of The Pennswoodpusher

I agree with Ira (although I don't oppose historical articles). Let's
be honest, how many people actually contribute to The Pennswoodpusher?
The reason why I submit so many games is because I know that you need
them! This past issue only had two of my games, but I believe an
earlier issue (I believe the one with Bloomsburg and the Philadelphia
Open) roughly half of the games were mine. I just find it hard to
imagine having an article on Bloomsburg or the State Championship with
out having any games with it. That would be like Chess Life running an
article about the World Chess Championship but not publishing any
games. Of course we are dependent on the players for games, and if they
don't give any, they're stuck with what they get.

If every member of the PSCF submitted just one game a year, we would
not have this problem at all. Neil would have far too many games to
publish!

I believe that we should do the best we can with what we have. Perhaps
in the next The Pennswoodpusher there would be an article or a blurb
asking the readers for games, or ideas about articles, etc. I like my
idea of a "Club Spotlight", but then we have to get someone at the club
to write it. Tom's idea about a "Here and There" feature it good to (I
think we should give it another name so no one accuses us of stealing
it from Chess Life)....

Joe Mucerino
************************

Mr. Mucerino's suggestion of a "PA Today" column was accepted, and with
Joe as editor it has become the most popular feature in our
publication. I thank Mr. Haas for starting the ball rolling, so to
speak, with his idiotic comments.

Old August 28th 05, 07:08 AM
The Historian

Eric Mark wrote:
The Historian wrote:
From the minutes of the PSCF Annual Meeting, July 16, 2005, in State

College:

"Although not an elected position, Pennswoodpusher editor Neil
Brennen has indicated that he would like to step down from that post
in the next year or so. President [Thomas] Martinak encouraged anyone
interested in the position to contact the PSCF."

Too bad. Neil has done a very good job with the PWP overall. It's now
worth the $5 PSCF dues just to get the newsletter---it's not fair to
call it a magazine. I hope this is not politics of some kind.

This is not USCF, Eric. I would like to concentrate on other things,
including a book that is way past deadline. I am glad to have been of
service to the PSCF, and if I had more energy and time I would
continue.

A few
months back, just before the EB campaign hit full steam, there was a
campaign ad for the Marinello slate---I think but am not certain it was
full-page--that was perhaps not as clearly marked "paid advertisement"
as some might have wished.

I recall it being marked as an advertisement. The Success Team's ad
copy was not particularly glossy, so perhaps it looked less like an ad
than the Shultzberg Slate's did, but we tried to avoid appearing
partial.

In any case, Neil has worked hard for free because he believed in what
he was doing, as far as I can see. I'm sorry to see him go. For his
farewell issue, perhaps we should compile a retrograde analysis piece
on who would have won a chess match between Christopher Marlowe and the
Earl of Oxford.

Oh goodness, there is so much nonsense written about the chess scene in
the Tempest!

Sorry I can't help with that: My British is rusty....Eric M