Old August 30th 05, 12:29 AM

Default My new Chess Biograpries in Wikipedia

Bill Brock keeps writing on top of my chess biographies, to keep
others from reading this.

Here they are again. I ask Bill Brock, my long time antagonist, to
start his own headers, and not to write on top on mine.

I have just finished posting in the Wikipedia Encyclopedia biographies
of several notable chess personalities. Beatriz Marinello will be
especially happy to learn that I have posted a biography of her at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatriz_Marinello

Elizabeth Shaughnessy will be happy as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Shaughnessy

Here are some more chess biographies I have just posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Peterson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brownscombe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusudan_Goletiani
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nino_Khurtsidze
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatev_Abrahamyan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Edmondson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Goichberg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Kalme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Saidy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Schultz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Seidman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Sherwin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Manakova
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Life
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Niro
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_expert
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_master

Needless to say, I could NOT write a biography of George John, because
George John does not exist. It is also difficult to write a biography
of a person who does not have a life.

Old August 30th 05, 01:03 AM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:29:23 GMT, (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_master

Sorry. Mistake.

My new Wikipedia page is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Master

not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_master

There is a difference.

Old August 30th 05, 01:16 AM
[email protected]

What was your highest published USCF rating?

What is the basis for your claim to be a "former master"?

Old August 30th 05, 02:15 AM

Here are two more. These are revisions which will make Tom Klem very
happy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chess_Association

Old August 30th 05, 02:26 AM
Mike Murray

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:15:14 GMT, (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

Here are two more. These are revisions which will make Tom Klem very
happy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chess_Association

Sam Sloan

heh, heh, heh

Old August 30th 05, 02:39 AM
The Historian

wrote:

Here are two more. These are revisions which will make Tom Klem very
happy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chess_Association

Sam Sloan

heh, heh, heh

For once I agree with Sam Sloan.

Old August 30th 05, 10:07 AM
Tom Klem

Sam Sloan wrote:
Here are two more. These are revisions which will make Tom Klem very
happy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chess_Association

Sam Sloan

CraftyWiz(C) _is_ the Champion of the WCF. NOT the computer champion,
THE champion. This 'distinction' was achieved by defeating then
Champion Stan Vaughan in a twelve game match back in 2000, winning all
seven games necessary to be the winner. The ACA is the only
organization in the world which allows computers to compete for the
title of World Champion against humans (that I am aware of). Other
organizations, profer the hypocrisy that there should be two divisions,
one for humans and one for computers. Not guts, no glory, in my opinion

CraftyWiz(C) is a Crafty clone, based entirely on computer code written
and maintained by Dr Robert Hyatt, PhD who allows any to use his
massive contribution to the Chess Computing world at no fees or
royalities.

If there are any personality differences between CraftyWiz(C) and other
Crafty clones, it would be the fact that for the first several years, I
did not allow CraftyWiz(C) to play any blitz or lightning matches, but
only Slow Time Control (Standard) games. This gave CraftyWiz(C) an
enormous advantage of having 'thought' out many thousands of the most
common human positions, achieving its wins through massive calculation
on very complex positions out to as far as twelve to sixteen ply
(depending on the position), putting the calculation horizon beyond the
range of most mere mortals.

CraftyWiz(C) has fallen from grace in the pure world of 'no blitz, no
lightning' and for a time (aprrox a year), was the undisputed top
ranked Lightning Computer on ICC.

For the first several years of its life, CraftyWiz(C) ran on very modest
hardware. An AMD P6 266Mhz machine with around 8 gigs of end game
tablebases, sallying forth into the corrupted world of the Internet on
the famous Windows 98 Operating System. A friend of mine built this
machine for about two hundred bucks back in 1999, and is still running,
having only been turned off for minor maintenance and power outtages
here in Vegas. The Op Sys was provided by MicroSoft as part of an
upgrade package from Windows for WorkGroups 3.1 and cost around another
hundred bucks, as I recall.

CraftyWiz(C) ran for a time on an 800 Mhz Athlon, again under Windows
98, and since that computer was my main piece of hardware and access to
the Inet at the time, I decided that whenever it was possible to get my
buddy to build a better 'mousetrap' for CraftyWiz(C), one would be acquired.

Again, for less than $500.00, and using Linux 7.3 and later Linux 9.0
(various kernel distro's of the 2.4.x variety), CraftyWiz(C) ventures
forth to deal death and destruction to patzer and GrandMaster alike,
winning a very high percentage of its games. I generally do not allow
CraftyWiz(C) to play other computers, as this would tend to pollute its
database.

As Dr Hyatt has amply demonstrated over the years, intelligent
programming design is very effective and the kind of brute force which
is extent in other World Class computing events makes very little
difference in the overall ratings performance of one computer
installation over another. I guesstimate a difference of one to two
hundred points overall (which is easily considered a ratings class). To
me, and my general understanding of Chess being in the state of
disrepair that it is due to my medical condition, this is currently an
acceptable outcome.

The current state of the WCF World Championship, to the best of my
knowledge, is that CraftyWiz(C) is still the WCF champion, having
neither been provided a challenger, nor any communication at all
regarding any attempt to regain the championship by humankind.

CraftyWiz(C) currently is treated to the luxurious circumstance of a
berth on ICC (a paid account, by the way), and an Athlon 2000XP running
Linux 9.0 (again, kernel distro 2.4.x something or other). The code and
conditional compilation of that code is entirely provided lock, stock
and barrel by the extremly kind and generous Dr Robert Hyatt.

I make no claims to being an especially perceptive or brilliant operator
of a Crafty clone, just a grateful one.

Thank you Dr Hyatt, for providing me countless hundreds of hours
watching CraftyWiz(C) hammer many GMs, IMs, Masters, and Patzers alike,
giving me incredible entertainment value (I have a team in the pennant
race he he) and hours of fascinating Chess viewing.

I once watched CraftyWiz(C) play over 200 Blitz (5 0 r) games against a
Grandmaster from the Netherlands on ICC, during which time the GM got
two wins, and thirty draws, but lost the rest. The contests took around
two days, and were observed by many of the GMs students, kibitzing
happily about this or that aspect of the position, warning the GM
about this or that trap (no, I don't mind humans banding together
against CW, though I regard it as somewhat unethical), and generally
provding me with an extremely enjoyable Chess experience.

All in all, Dr Hyatt's code, documentation, and mailing list for quick
answers to the 'gotcha's' along the road of creating a competive Crafty
clone, have been impecable and truly a joy. And yes, it does take some
time to establish and set one up, but it is well worth it.

Tom Klem

Old August 30th 05, 10:08 AM
Tom Klem

wrote:

Here are two more. These are revisions which will make Tom Klem very
happy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chess_Association

Sam Sloan

heh, heh, heh

Laugh it up fuzzball. I"m sure you wouldn't have a clue.

Tom Klem

Old August 30th 05, 10:26 AM
Tom Klem

Tom Klem wrote:
Sam Sloan wrote:

[...]

I neglected to mention, that CraftyWiz(C) runs on the Xboard interface.
Xboard, as you may or may not know, provides the Chess engine to ICS
connection, sending both text messages and computer commands (both
directions) to the Chess engine provided by Dr Hyatt. This piece of
software is provided very generously by Dr Tim Mann at no charge to all.
Tim is another huge contributor to the chess computing world.

My apologies Tim, for ommitting your name and credit in the first post.

Tom Klem