Old September 1st 05, 08:25 AM

Default Creationists

I just read on AOL of a survey by Pew Research Institute that
determined 42% of Americans believe all species today are in the same
form as they were when God created them about 10,000 years ago,
essentially the Creationist line of thought.
I'd bet about 75% to 80% of Creationists own dogs that are of a breed
that didn't exist even 100 years ago.

Old Haasie

Old September 1st 05, 06:22 PM

According to a calandar produced by the Eastern Orthodox Church in
Eugene, Oregon, the world is 7513 years old, not 10,000.
Mike

Old September 1st 05, 07:10 PM
Mike Murray

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:41:34 -0400, "Angelo DePalma"
wrote:

I'd bet that most creationists' dogs are smarter than they are.

I once worked with two guys, one a Mormon, the other an Orthodox Jew.
The Mormon had been doing some genealogical research and talked about
it incessantly. He approached the Jewish guy:

Mormon: I hear you people keep pretty good records on your family
history.

Jew (reluctant to get into this conversation): Uhhhh....., yeah, I
guess so.

Mormon: Well, I can trace *my* ancestry clear back to Adam.

Jew: Would that be on your Mother's or your Father's side ?

Old September 1st 05, 07:13 PM
Kiddon

That doesn't accurately reflect the belief of most Creationists. I
still have a copy of a paper I wrote in 9th grade in the late 70's,
attempting to harmonize Creationism and Evolution. As I recall, my
basic premise was that if God was indeed omnipotent, without
limitation, than he could create any way He wanted, including through
Evolution. Sounds more or less like Intelligent Design to me.

kiddon

p.s. I was in a Catholic school, and thus allowed to write about God.
Imagine if I had written that paper in a public school. I would have
likely been severely disciplined for daring to use the "G" word.

kd

Old September 1st 05, 07:29 PM
Matt Nemmers

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just read on AOL of a survey by Pew Research Institute that
determined 42% of Americans believe all species today are in the same
form as they were when God created them about 10,000 years ago,
essentially the Creationist line of thought.
I'd bet about 75% to 80% of Creationists own dogs that are of a breed
that didn't exist even 100 years ago.

Old Haasie

I like to have my evolutionist friends over to my house, cook them a really
nice gourmet dinner, and after they're finished eating ask them if they
believe there was a chef.

Old September 1st 05, 07:34 PM
Mike Murray

On 1 Sep 2005 11:13:03 -0700, "Kiddon" wrote:

That doesn't accurately reflect the belief of most Creationists. I
still have a copy of a paper I wrote in 9th grade in the late 70's,
attempting to harmonize Creationism and Evolution. As I recall, my
basic premise was that if God was indeed omnipotent, without
limitation, than he could create any way He wanted, including through
Evolution. Sounds more or less like Intelligent Design to me.

I don't think so. The ID guys opt for more direct intervention. They
say your way is *possible*, but they don't believe it happened that
way. They believe Darwinism operates at some levels, but can't
account for life at the cellular level, or can account for new
species.

Old September 1st 05, 07:54 PM
Eo

Dog Breeds are not seperate species, they may look as different as a
Chihuahua and a Great Dane but genetically the same species. Wolves and
dogs are seperate species.

Old September 1st 05, 08:22 PM
Mike Murray

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 18:29:46 GMT, "Matt Nemmers"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I just read on AOL of a survey by Pew Research Institute that
determined 42% of Americans believe all species today are in the same
form as they were when God created them about 10,000 years ago,
essentially the Creationist line of thought.
I'd bet about 75% to 80% of Creationists own dogs that are of a breed
that didn't exist even 100 years ago.

Old Haasie

I like to have my evolutionist friends over to my house, cook them a really
nice gourmet dinner, and after they're finished eating ask them if they
believe there was a chef.

And if they say "no", you can replicate the dinner and prove there
was, indeed, a chef.

Observing you, they also can answer the question, "one chef or many"
for this particular meal (but, perhaps not for all meals),

Knowing you personally, they get a reasonable idea of "moral or
immoral chef".

Tasting the dinner, and comparing it to others they've had, perhaps
finding out what the meal cost you, and how much effort it took to
prepare, and assuming the mushrooms were sans Nightshade, they get an
idea of "competent or incompetent chef".

Lotta questions. Including the big one: how fitting is the analogy?

Old September 1st 05, 08:49 PM
Bruce Leverett

(Sigh) Go easy on 'em, my niece and her husband go to a church that
teaches biblical literalism.

Here is a link to a short bio of Louis Agassiz:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/agassiz.html

Quotation: "But Agassiz was no evolutionist; in fact, he was probably
the last reputable scientist to reject evolution outright for any
length of time after the publication of The Origin of Species."

Another quotation: "Agassiz's works on living and fossil fish and on
glaciers have remained classics. His work on glaciers revolutionized
geology, and drove another nail in the coffin of the Biblical Flood as
a serious scientific hypothesis. He trained and influenced a generation
of American zoologists and paleontologists, including Alpheus Hyatt,
William Healey Dall, David Starr Jordan, Nathaniel Shaler, and Edward
S. Morse. He left a mark on the development and the practice of
American science, and brought science to 'the man in the street' as no
one else had before. People from all over the world read his books,
sent him specimens, and asked his advice. By the time of his death, on
December 14, 1873, he was publicly recognized as America's leading
scientist.

"His philosophy of nature, aiming to understand the Divine Plan, is the
last great expression of the old school of natural theology, started by
men like John Ray almost two hundred years before. Natural theology had
once inspired countless scientists, including Darwin and his
forerunners, but by the time of publication of the Origin of Species it
had largely run out of steam, unable to offer any real explanation for
natural phenomena except 'God made it that way.' Within Agassiz's
lifetime, and much to his grief, most of his students -- including his
son Alexander, a well-known naturalist in his own right -- became
evolutionists, though not necessarily Darwinians."

Bruce

Angelo DePalma wrote:
I'd bet that most creationists' dogs are smarter than they are.

oups.com...