Old September 2nd 05, 11:10 PM
Kiddon

Default Louisiana Chess

I guess we can assume the "State Championship" is off.

See http://www.louisianachess.com/index.htm.

kiddon

Old September 2nd 05, 11:12 PM
Kiddon

Wrong year. My bad.

kiddon

Old September 3rd 05, 10:17 PM
Douglas L Stewart

The correct website is http://www.louisianachess.org. I talked to
Anthony Jackson, President of the Louisiana Chess Association and father
of this year's Denker tournament winner Trevor Jackson, last weekend and
offered to update their website for them if they cancelled the tournament.

I haven't heard from Anthony (who is from New Orleans but had escaped to
Lake Charles I believe at the time I talked to him), but I did receive
the following email from David Clary of the Baton Rouge chess club recently.

It looks like their tournament is still on and must be in progress right
now (it was scheduled for Baton Rouge this year). I have attended the
last couple of years and really have enjoyed it (25 points in 2003 and
61 points gained in 2004 doesn't hurt), but I don't I have any
reasonable route to drive there so I didn't make it.

People have already mentioned Jude Acers, but there is also IM Stanislav
Kriventsov, who teaches at Tulane (now officially closed for the
semester). I probably worry even more about NM Alfred Carlin (rated
2400+ at one point), who usually doesn't have reliable transportation
and I believe has health issues.

---
Douglas L Stewart

President, Mississippi Chess Association
http://www.mcachess.org

David Clary wrote:

A last minute reminder that the Louisiana State Chess
Championship will proceed as scheduled

registration tonight (Friday) 5:30-7:00 at the Baton
Rouge Bridge Center, 3033 Old Forge Rd (I-10, south
on College, Left at the Shell Station, right on Old
Forge, building is on the left) First round 7:30 pm,
second round Saturday at noon.

You have the option of registering Saturday morning
between 7 and 8 am, and playing round one at 8:30 and
then merging with the four-day schedule.

Or, come for round two at noon Saturday and take a
half-point bye for round 1.

Please keep the victims of Katrina in your thoughts
and prayers

Dave