Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old September 4th 05, 06:06 AM
Sam Sloan
 
Posts: n/a
Default New Wikipedia biographies by Sam Sloan

I have created some more new Wikipedia pages. I noticed that the
biographies on Wikipedia of John Watson and John W. Collins had been
deleted. I do not know the reason and I would like to find out.
Anyway, I created new biographies on Wikipedia for them:

Here are these and some more Wikipedia biographies I created today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Collins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Watson_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Ivanov_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Donaldson_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra...nics_Institute

Please note that the use of the words (chess player) is required when
there is more than one person by that name. There are other persons
named John Watson, Igor Ivanov and John Donaldson with biographies on
Wikipedia.

I would like to post a list of all players who won the US Championship
and the US Junior Championship. Surprisingly, I was unable to find
such a list posted anywhere on the Internet.

Sam Sloan


  #2   Report Post  
Old September 4th 05, 04:49 PM
Sam Sloan
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have just redirected these to the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Watson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_V._Ivanov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Donaldson

The reason is to avoid problems with the words "(chess_player)"

Sam Sloan

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 05:06:30 GMT, (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

I have created some more new Wikipedia pages. I noticed that the
biographies on Wikipedia of John Watson and John W. Collins had been
deleted. I do not know the reason and I would like to find out.
Anyway, I created new biographies on Wikipedia for them:

Here are these and some more Wikipedia biographies I created today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Collins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Watson_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Ivanov_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Donaldson_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra...nics_Institute

Please note that the use of the words (chess player) is required when
there is more than one person by that name. There are other persons
named John Watson, Igor Ivanov and John Donaldson with biographies on
Wikipedia.

I would like to post a list of all players who won the US Championship
and the US Junior Championship. Surprisingly, I was unable to find
such a list posted anywhere on the Internet.

Sam Sloan



  #3   Report Post  
Old September 4th 05, 05:49 PM
The Historian
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Sam Sloan wrote:
I have just redirected these to the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Watson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_V._Ivanov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Donaldson

The reason is to avoid problems with the words "(chess_player)"

Sam Sloan


My favorite detail about IM Donaldson's biography is that his father
ran the Philadelphia Zoo.

http://www.phillyphoto.com/busin3.html

  #4   Report Post  
Old September 4th 05, 10:09 PM
W T Harvey
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A list of US Champions:
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvall...78/uschamp.htm

  #5   Report Post  
Old September 5th 05, 08:00 AM
Ian Burton
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Your Jack Collins biography is one reason I don't trust anything on
Wikipedia. Did you ever meet the man? Did you ever spend any time with
him? Are you aware that this "spastic dwarf," as you so charmingly describe
him, played in the weekly Marshall Chess Club rapid tournament, often
winning first prize in this 10-seconds-a-move event? Jack was indeed a
"jovial man." How can you say he was "the opposite"?

Please stick to writing about people you know. You've made some good
contributions to chess literature. This biography is a disgrace.

--
Ian Burton
(Please reply to the Newsgroup)
"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
...
I have created some more new Wikipedia pages. I noticed that the
biographies on Wikipedia of John Watson and John W. Collins had been
deleted. I do not know the reason and I would like to find out.
Anyway, I created new biographies on Wikipedia for them:

Here are these and some more Wikipedia biographies I created today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Collins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Watson_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Ivanov_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Donaldson_(chess_player)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra...nics_Institute

Please note that the use of the words (chess player) is required when
there is more than one person by that name. There are other persons
named John Watson, Igor Ivanov and John Donaldson with biographies on
Wikipedia.

I would like to post a list of all players who won the US Championship
and the US Junior Championship. Surprisingly, I was unable to find
such a list posted anywhere on the Internet.

Sam Sloan






  #6   Report Post  
Old September 5th 05, 10:32 AM
Paul Rubin
 
Posts: n/a
Default

(Sam Sloan) writes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_L._Watson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_V._Ivanov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Donaldson

The reason is to avoid problems with the words "(chess_player)"


What's the problems with those words?
  #7   Report Post  
Old September 5th 05, 05:50 PM
Sam Sloan
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 00:00:49 -0700, "Ian Burton"
wrote:

Your Jack Collins biography is one reason I don't trust anything on
Wikipedia. Did you ever meet the man? Did you ever spend any time with
him? Are you aware that this "spastic dwarf," as you so charmingly describe
him, played in the weekly Marshall Chess Club rapid tournament, often
winning first prize in this 10-seconds-a-move event? Jack was indeed a
"jovial man." How can you say he was "the opposite"?

Please stick to writing about people you know. You've made some good
contributions to chess literature. This biography is a disgrace.

--
Ian Burton


Yes. I did know him. Did you?

I played John W. Collins in the 1964 Manhattan Chess Club Championship
preliminaries. I lost badly. In 2001, his administrator promised to
dig out the game score and give it to me, but so far has not done so.

I last saw him at the 2001 US Amateur Team Championship East in
Parsippany NJ. I played on one of the Collins Kids teams. I won all my
games scoring 5-0. You can look it up at:
http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain....95150-11115292

I am listed as number 58. I believe that was the last chess event he
ever attanded. He was senile and did not remember who I was.

You apparently want to deny his affliction. He deserved praise not
blame for this. The man spent his entire life in a wheelchair. One
might say that he played his hand the best he could with the lousy
cards he was dealt.

You wish to deny that he was spastic and a dwarf. In fact, I do not
know the name for his illness, but it is an undeniable fact that he
was ill. During his lifetime, he did not want this fact revealed, but
since he died four years ago, it is appropriate for the truth to come
out now.

Collins was involved in several controversies in his life. You
apparently want this kept secret. In view of his physical condition, I
think it is to his credit, not his blame, that he was involved in a
few controversies.

Sam Sloan
  #8   Report Post  
Old September 5th 05, 06:43 PM
Ian Burton
 
Posts: n/a
Default




"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 00:00:49 -0700, "Ian Burton"
wrote:

Your Jack Collins biography is one reason I don't trust anything on
Wikipedia. Did you ever meet the man? Did you ever spend any time with
him? Are you aware that this "spastic dwarf," as you so charmingly
describe
him, played in the weekly Marshall Chess Club rapid tournament, often
winning first prize in this 10-seconds-a-move event? Jack was indeed a
"jovial man." How can you say he was "the opposite"?

Please stick to writing about people you know. You've made some good
contributions to chess literature. This biography is a disgrace.

--
Ian Burton


Yes. I did know him. Did you?

I played John W. Collins in the 1964 Manhattan Chess Club Championship
preliminaries. I lost badly. In 2001, his administrator promised to
dig out the game score and give it to me, but so far has not done so.

I last saw him at the 2001 US Amateur Team Championship East in
Parsippany NJ. I played on one of the Collins Kids teams. I won all my
games scoring 5-0. You can look it up at:
http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain....95150-11115292

I am listed as number 58. I believe that was the last chess event he
ever attanded. He was senile and did not remember who I was.

You apparently want to deny his affliction. He deserved praise not
blame for this. The man spent his entire life in a wheelchair. One
might say that he played his hand the best he could with the lousy
cards he was dealt.

You wish to deny that he was spastic and a dwarf. In fact, I do not
know the name for his illness, but it is an undeniable fact that he
was ill. During his lifetime, he did not want this fact revealed, but
since he died four years ago, it is appropriate for the truth to come
out now.

Collins was involved in several controversies in his life. You
apparently want this kept secret. In view of his physical condition, I
think it is to his credit, not his blame, that he was involved in a
few controversies.


Sam, I knew him from the early 1950s until the day he died. You did not
*know* him at all; you *saw* him now and then. Nothing could be clearer
from what you write.

--
Ian Burton
(Please reply to the Newsgroup)


  #9   Report Post  
Old September 5th 05, 07:28 PM
Sam Sloan
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:43:16 -0700, "Ian Burton"
wrote:




"Sam Sloan" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 00:00:49 -0700, "Ian Burton"
wrote:

Your Jack Collins biography is one reason I don't trust anything on
Wikipedia. Did you ever meet the man? Did you ever spend any time with
him? Are you aware that this "spastic dwarf," as you so charmingly
describe
him, played in the weekly Marshall Chess Club rapid tournament, often
winning first prize in this 10-seconds-a-move event? Jack was indeed a
"jovial man." How can you say he was "the opposite"?

Please stick to writing about people you know. You've made some good
contributions to chess literature. This biography is a disgrace.

--
Ian Burton


Yes. I did know him. Did you?

I played John W. Collins in the 1964 Manhattan Chess Club Championship
preliminaries. I lost badly. In 2001, his administrator promised to
dig out the game score and give it to me, but so far has not done so.

I last saw him at the 2001 US Amateur Team Championship East in
Parsippany NJ. I played on one of the Collins Kids teams. I won all my
games scoring 5-0. You can look it up at:
http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain....95150-11115292

I am listed as number 58. I believe that was the last chess event he
ever attanded. He was senile and did not remember who I was.

You apparently want to deny his affliction. He deserved praise not
blame for this. The man spent his entire life in a wheelchair. One
might say that he played his hand the best he could with the lousy
cards he was dealt.

You wish to deny that he was spastic and a dwarf. In fact, I do not
know the name for his illness, but it is an undeniable fact that he
was ill. During his lifetime, he did not want this fact revealed, but
since he died four years ago, it is appropriate for the truth to come
out now.

Collins was involved in several controversies in his life. You
apparently want this kept secret. In view of his physical condition, I
think it is to his credit, not his blame, that he was involved in a
few controversies.


Sam, I knew him from the early 1950s until the day he died. You did not
*know* him at all; you *saw* him now and then. Nothing could be clearer
from what you write.

--
Ian Burton


The great strength of Wikipedia is that you can correct mistakes and
mistatements other writers have made and indeed I encourage you to do
so.

For example, since you dispute that he was a spastic and a drawf, you
can tell us what was actually wrong with him. However, if you are
denying that anything was wrong with him at all, you are simply lying
or denying the man.

In fact, I was very nice to him in my revised biography. I left in
some statements which are probably not true. It is almost certainly
not true that "Collins has been a major organizer and leader in New
York City". He certainly was a prolific author, with a monthly column
in Chess Life until he was fired by Ed Edmondson.

For the first time ever, I have mentioned his sister Ethel, who
SACRIFICED her entire life for him. Ethel never married and instead
devoted herself to her invalid brother. She supported him, working as
a registered nurse, wheeled him to chess tournaments, and typed his
books and articles for him. When I played a tournament game against
Collins in 1964, Ethel sat next to his wheelchair watching the game
throughout. Yet, I never saw or read Jack Collins saying a good thing
about his sister. (I believe that Ethel died in 1998 at age 89, but I
am not sure).

Sam Sloan
  #10   Report Post  
Old September 5th 05, 07:43 PM
Taylor Kingston
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Ian Burton wrote:
Sam, I knew him from the early 1950s until the day he died. You did not
*know* him at all; you *saw* him now and then. Nothing could be clearer
from what you write.


Sam continues his tradition of deep, well-supported, scrupulously
factual scholarly research, which has enabled him to reveal so many
things that otherwise would have remained hidden. Without Sam, I would
have remained unaware of my authorship of books I have not written. We
would never have realized that all the games opening 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5
3.d5 b5 before 1965 did not actually use the same moves as Benko did in
the Benko Gambit. We would have continued to believe the lie that USCF
ratings use the Elo system. And of course, we would never have known
about the death of Peter Leko.
This is to mention only a few such examples. The debt Sam owes us for
all this is incalculable.

Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Wikipedia biographies by Sam Sloan Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 16 September 6th 05 11:30 PM
Complete Game Scores and ICC chat/kibitz logfiles from 1st Annual RGCP Grudge Match RGCP Grudge Match rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 41 June 30th 05 12:26 AM
need an answer on the revised terms! [email protected] rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 80 June 29th 05 05:40 AM
Further Proof that George John is an Idiot !! Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 8 June 25th 05 12:36 PM
Further Proof that George John is an Idiot !! Sam Sloan rec.games.chess.computer (Computer Chess) 7 June 25th 05 04:32 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017